Hacking What systems is the Xbox One X not capable of emulating?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 7,567
  • Replies 3
D

Deleted User

OP
The Xbox One X is an absolute beast in terms of hardware. We currently have no method of hacking the system. But that will change sooner or later. Depending on the amount of interest in hacking the Xbox One X we could find ourselves with the ultimate gaming machine.

I'm going to guess that apart from the PS4 this console will be able to emulate everything that came before it in 4K resolution. Home consoles up to the SNES and portable systems up to the GBA could probably be emulated with perfect accuracy like higan does.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if I would rate it that highly. Certainly nothing I could see development move to it for as it is either that much more powerful, or possessing some unique architecture which allows for something to be more easily done and the work then ported back.

Emulate now or in the future? Spec requirements can go down a bit but we are living in odd times -- while android pulls one way PC style things tend to creep up in demands and lowest specs, and some things are barely seeing any work (N64 emulation is not much more advanced than it was 10 years ago, Saturn is only slightly better and Dreamcast nominally more so). Looking at PS2 emulation, much less PS3 (I have not kept terribly up to date with RPCS3) then while it is impressive it is still something of a glacial pace. The wii u stuff is very much the exception in all this so try not to base too much off that.
Equally a plain upscale might happen but upscaling of 3d systems can be a bit more intensive, and doing that to 4K (or the 4:3 equivalent for those consoles which need it).

On the other hand if absolute beast to you means pre 32 bit home consoles and GBA and down handhelds, like what I have been able to reasonably do* for probably a decade or two at this point, and only slightly less if on the go then I guess it would be.

*I like https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/ as much as anybody but it was for edge cases.

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CPU is still the same as the original Xbox One, just clocked 33% faster at 2.3ghz. I have an Athlon 5350 at 2.3ghz (Same design as the XB1/PS4 cpus, just with 4 cores instead of 8) in a spare machine and it can't emulate any modern systems at full speed. The horsepower just isn't there for it. About the best you are going to get is some low end PS2 or Wii games, and even those only have a slim chance of hitting full speed.

If they had went with a Ryzen based processor, stuff like Dolphin would be doable. Sadly we have to wait for the Xbox One X Next for that to happen though.

Reactions: wiired24

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS4 has the same underlying framework so emulating should be simple. I'm curious about the Switch though - right now that's the only console I have no idea is possible or not.

Oh and the PS3 still has that wonky configuration...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://youtu.be/N8pbnjvypQ0?feature=shared&t=958