Hacking What software will a new Wii Come with?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which Firmware will a new Wii come with if I buy one? Is it going to be 4.2?

EDIT: If it comes with 4.0 or 4.1 should I update it to 4.2 via Doing the Online update? And than after I have 4.2 I should hack it right?

Binxy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait...What?

If you buy a brand new wii there is a chance that it may still have system menu 4.1 still on it.

If you up upgrade it to 4.2 it is up to you if you want to still hack your wii. Nothing wrong with doing so.

icyrainz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't care which firmware the new Wii has. But it will have D3-2 Drive, which sad me alot. I bought one in January. 4.1U and D3-2.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it won't matter if I update to 4.2. I won't have any disadvantages. Plus some games need the 4.2 firmware to be played I heard.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
Jakob95 said:
So it won't matter if I update to 4.2. I won't have any disadvantages. Plus some games need the 4.2 firmware to be played I heard.
This is a myth no game needs 4.2 to run
+1. Some games require IOS's that might have come with 4.2 (You can get these separately) but none actually require System Menu 4.2

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm Deltaburnt says now that I shouldn't upgrade because of the following reasons.

I could get bricked. And lots of IOS won't work on 4.2. Also its much harder to hack 4.2 than 4.0 or 4.1

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You could get bricked if you start out with a softmodded wii on 4.1 and just update through the normal channel. If you start with a regular wii, or use a safe update method (read the stickies in this section) it'll be fine.

Lots of IOS won't work on 4.2? Really? Can you name one? I certainly can't.
It's true, though, that 4.2 installs some IOS'es that contain no code (stubs). That's why updating a softmodded wii could result in a brick. However, those stubs can be deleted or overwritten by the previous custom ones, so I doubt that there are IOS'es that simply refuse to run (keep note that games need IOS'es to work...if those wouldn't work, nintendo would have a serious problem).

Can't say anything about hardness of hacking. I know you've got to keep an eye out for the version of the firmware if you follow tutorials (e.g. you shouldn't install a custom wii theme for a 4.0 firmware), but other than that, I can't say there's much difference.

To my knowledge, there are no games made for the USB loader (considering nintendo never supported it, that's kinda obvious
tongue.gif
). As such, there simply aren't any games made for the USB loader.
And "scrubbed games" usually means that a long string of zero's is missing at the end of the data layer of the disc (games pretty much never fill the entire disc).

Of course you shouldn't download games to begin with. But of course you already knew this.
wink.gif

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what's wrong with 4.0 or 4.1 you can stay comfortably there blocking disk and online updates and installing needed IOS's if and when needed for games/vc/ww and never have to install another stub IOS again

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright thanks. Also what should I use Neogramma(w/e the name is) or USB Loader GX?

Also is there a way to convert a Wii that is JAP too Wii USA? Like flashing the firmware or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e