Hacking What modchip is inside my Wii?

linj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hey y'all,

I'm trying to figure out what modchip is inside my Japanese Wii. I bought it in Taiwan, and the dealer put it into the machine beforehand (and didn't speak English. ): ). I don't have a Triwing screwdriver, so I can't crack open the Wii to check, and I'd rather do it through software methods anyway.

I'm thinking it's a WiiKey, as it can play the VORTEX backup of Mario Party 8 fine (under 2.2J).

Is there any evidence to the contrary (are there other modchips to your knowledge that can also play MP8 without bricking)?

In advance, thanks very muchly for your help.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Edit: Obviously, it might be a clone, but would that affect anything? Could I still possibly upgrade my firmware?

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have the same problem :[
you can open you'r wii carefully (or let a pro open it )
ta-da ! you can see what modchip inside!
tongue.gif

linj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
burn the configuration disk to a dvd and see if that will boot up. wiikey.cn

It boots up and I can save settings.

Does that mean I was dead on?

Thanks,
Jeff.

(Oh, and I can't ask the seller because a) he couldn't understand English, and it probably was a clone anyway... and b) I'm no longer in Taiwan anymore. But thanks for the input. (: )

Edit: Okay; thanks for the definitively reply. And thanks everyone for helping me figure out what's going on with my Wii.

Cheers,
Jeff.
biggrin.gif

yuvalri1

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Jumping on your wagon, I'm in a similar situation.
Bought a jap wii in china, the seller couldn't tell me the chip...

now, i updated it to 3.1j with the help of the menu translation pdf. (
gamecube backups don't load (got a question mark, and i dont know if it worked
before the update, didn't have any games to test so i used my time to update), same for original wii sports, zelda,
bust a move.

sonic, red steel, monkey ball (all pal or ntsc-u) run in Japanese...

and mario striker and MP3 ask for update (??) which I do not allow.

any way, I burned the 1.3 boot disc but it gives me some message I can't read:

Thanks

furbyhaterex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
I think the message says something amounting to "an error has occured, please try to eject the disk (and change it?) and/or turn the console off."
I guess it'll display the same msg if you try to boot a random non-wii disk.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
since you installed 3.0+ firmware you will need to burn an extra config disc with fixed header, then it will boot and you can swap to the real config disc.

yuvalri1

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Does that means I don't have the wiikey chip in there?
(I did not try to update it to 1.9 because I don't know what will happen if its not the wiikey)

What chip might it be? And how can I unlock gamecube backups?
(if I put the gamecube game it gives the question mark, but when I put the boot disc
it shows it as a gamecube disc, and when I "play" it I receive the above message)

edit: lenselijer
Errr... I appreciate the help but I really have no idea what that means and how to do it...
I'd be glad if you can explain or guide me to some tutorial.

edit 2:
I burned this gcos 1.3 but it loads and just lists some wiikey 1.2 something entry, ,which I can't even choose,
its as if the machine is stuck. how am I suppose to use this gcos to load the wiikey config disc?
Swapping the disc at this point doesn't help.

Also, is it safe to run the wiikey 1.9b update without knowing if it really is the installed chip, or can this
damage the wii/chip?

mezizo

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
hi all,

I nearly have the same situation as yuvalri1.I don`t know if my modchip is wiikey clone or not it has a name of wii-ju written on it and it can boot wiikey config disk but can`t save any changes made in config.

i am still using firmware 2.0j and i am affraid of updating to lose gc compatibility.

does anyone have any suggestions????

to yuvalri1 pls try to boot a multigame gc disc made with gcos it might work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol