Hacking What MicroSD card are best for R4 DS??

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
SD-C01G or SD-C02G

And they're not faster than Sandisk cards. Sandisk cards outperform anything for sequential read/write. The SD-C01G/2G cards just have a slightly lower random access time.

Basically for the NDS: SD-C01G/SD-C02G
For cameras, video cameras, phones: Sandisk

rozzan143

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm so the sandisk is working just fine then, ok then im buying a new R4
thx guys for ya support
biggrin.gif

FlameTakuya

Trophies
Website
rsx0806.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Senegal
It probably already has been answered also, but seeing as this thread is up...why particularly 1gb cards made by kingston? whats wrong with the 2gb ones they make?

I was just about to ask that exact same question. I have the 2 gb version and I have not had an issue with it. The only thing I can think of is it would become more fragmented but that is an easy fix... defrag it.

I read in another topic that it isn't good to defrag removable drives (Eg. Thumbdrives, Portable Hard Disks, SD cards) as the process might corrupt your stuff inside and all that.

Best if you just copy everything in your SD card to desktop, Reformat your whole SD, then copy everything back in again.

ACQ

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My experience:

I originally bought a 2GB SanDisk made in Taiwan for my R4. Bad idea. Movies locked up and usually the A/V were out-of-sync. Some games locked up completely (Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, and a couple others I can't remember). MP3s would lock up after a few minutes of play requiring a cold boot.

I learned about the Japanese made cartridges and bought a 2GB Kingston. I noticed an immediate difference. In Advance Wars the Taiwan SanDisk took two or more seconds to save a game, but with the Japanese Kingston it's less that half a second. Movies never lock up and never get out-of-sync. I've played MP3s on it solidly for more than 6 hours without a hiccup.

One more thing: After adding/removing files from it I ALWAYS defrag the card.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^I have Sandisk 1gb taiwan and it works perfectly on castlevania:DoS, no slowdowns, freezes, etc. as far as I can tell. But I haven't tried PoR yet...

Since my microSD seems to work perfectly for DoS, is there a better chance it'll work well on PoR?

harvster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, "PNY" is an "OEM" of the Kingston MicroSDs. Meaning, it's the same product, but it's renamed under PNY.

Second, Sandisk MicroSDs work fine on PoR. However, the game may lag sometime throughout the game.

~Nero

ShootingStars

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoever said the 2GB TAIWAN Sandisk freezes, it doesn't. I actually have TAIWAN >.> and it works fine. Movies do NOT lock up. MP3s do NOT SKIP. Played POR and notice no lag. I never had a Kingston but so far the Sandisk is treating me well. So people don't be afraid of buying Sandisk >.>

R4DSfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Outside of the above mentioned CoV game, I've had no problems from my cheap A-DATA chips. Downhill Jam was a little sluggish at times, but not as bad as I expected from threads I'd read.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^I have Sandisk 1gb taiwan and it works perfectly on castlevania:DoS, no slowdowns, freezes, etc. as far as I can tell. But I haven't tried PoR yet...

Since my microSD seems to work perfectly for DoS, is there a better chance it'll work well on PoR?

Not necessarily. See http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

If you do a keyword search for castlevania you'll see that PoR has issues whereas DoS does not.
Yeah, I knew PoR was mainly causing the trouble but when ppl had problems w/ microSD they always said it was "Castlevania" not PoR, so I just kinda got confused
wacko.gif

Anyways, thanks for your input
smile.gif

Oh and BTW I just started playing PoR but I've only got to the place where you meet that ghost guy named Wind. No slowdowns or freezes, etc. so far
biggrin.gif
but maybe it starts freezing later. If Castlevania froze and/or slowed down on you or someone you know, could you tell me where in the game (middle, end, beginning, etc.)? Thanks
smile.gif

edit: I got to the first painting and it froze almost immediately after going in.
hate2.gif

going to try to get a 1gb kingston from gaminglagoon. That's the big-font thing in my sig
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one