Hardware What Makes A Switch Never Turn Back On And Why?

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
even with an official adapter my friends switch got a power surge and never turned back on afterwards

is there any concrete reason why specifically a switch does this and possible ways to fix it (especially since these bricks only seemed to happen *after* a certain update afaict (5.0.0 iirc))?

also i dont mean issues with power delivery or anything i mean what is actually happening to the console that bricks it, has anyone looked into it? is there any specific part of the switch that gets busted? is there ways to test for it? etc...

Last edited by MarioMasta64,

BenjaminWN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Before anything else, I'd try a hard reset and if possible unplug replug the battery.

If there was a power surge, what could've happened is either the fuse just over the type C blew (I'll be honest, I have never seen it blown) or, the classic culprit, the M92T36 chip got fed a voltage too high and died.
A way to test it is to get an USB ampmeter and check how much current the switch pulls. If it pulls 0,0somthing, you'll need some surgery done on the Switch. If it pulls something in the 0,2-0,3 amps, there might be a short circuit after the M92T36. If it gets stuck at around 0.480 amps, usually it's the APU but I haven't seen an APU get blown by a power surge...

I hope that helped.

Reactions: MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Before anything else, I'd try a hard reset and if possible unplug replug the battery.

If there was a power surge, what could've happened is either the fuse just over the type C blew (I'll be honest, I have never seen it blown) or, the classic culprit, the M92T36 chip got fed a voltage too high and died.
A way to test it is to get an USB ampmeter and check how much current the switch pulls. If it pulls 0,0somthing, you'll need some surgery done on the Switch. If it pulls something in the 0,2-0,3 amps, there might be a short circuit after the M92T36. If it gets stuck at around 0.480 amps, usually it's the APU but I haven't seen an APU get blown by a power surge...

I hope that helped.
thank you this was pretty much the type of answer i was looking for

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves