What is the progress on WiiU hacking? (Not vWii!)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by stephaniie, Apr 23, 2014.

1. stephaniie
    OP

stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    hi,

how is the hacking progress going on WiiU, to play WiiU games?

CandraSoftware likes this.
  2. rizzod
    This message by rizzod has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 23, 2014, Reason: Pointless.
    Apr 23, 2014

3. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    As of now, non exsistent for "us" end users.
    Probably will never happen as the WiiU is not interesting as a homebrew platform, as stated about a year ago by marcan.

4. CandraSoftware

CandraSoftware Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2009
    United States
    The Wii may feel more dated than 360 and PS3 thanks to the Wii U's backwards compatibility but I'm happy with the Wii Hacking Scene as it is.

5. reax_mpg

reax_mpg Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2013

I cannot understand how any console could be understood as "not interesting as a homebrew platform". Almost every console since the PS1 has been hacked! So are you saying that the WiiU would be the first non-hacked console since the N64 or so? I can't believe that!

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Team Fail Overflow stated that on their blog, so yeah, not much interest really.

7. c4p0

c4p0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    chilling with r2
    I cant see how this is possible with the dual screens and all.. i mean come on ds emulator to the max! :)

8. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Nintendo's doing that already, but I see where you're coming from, a lot of excellent emulators could be ported, but the interest in hacking the console is difficult to truly determine.

c4p0 likes this.
  9. c4p0

c4p0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    chilling with r2
    So many great ideas could come true this is why i sometimes get frustrated that there isnt enough hype for this console as there should be.

JayRo likes this.
  10. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

A full DS emulator as opposed to individual VC DS games isn't the same as what Nintendo is doing.

It would be cool to see the limits the Wii U could be pushed to. I'm sure with the right people working on it, they could fix up the Wii64/Not64 and get that running at far better speeds and compatability. Maybe Dreamcast Emulation could be a thing too. Not to mention all the interesting things that hacks could allow with the Gamepad and it's screen.

11. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

And that's just what pisses me off, there's so much untapped potential waiting to be, well, tapped. It just feels wasted. Wii 64 has gone to shit and I doubt there will be an update TBH.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  12. c4p0

c4p0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    chilling with r2
    agreed

13. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Other people have taken over and Not64 was created which is significantly better than Wii64. Granted, its been a while since the last Not64 update, but I'm pretty sure those people (as opposed to the original Wii 64 team) would be far more interested in seeing what they could do with the code on the Wii U if it were ever truly hacked.

the_randomizer likes this.
  14. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I know emukidid is working on the next version of Wii64, an actual release date is very hard to determine at this point; we'll be lucky to see it this year. Hell, even if it can surpass the N64 VC on the Wii in terms of stability I'll be impressed; 21 games on the eShop is sad. We need more hackers in the scene, we need to see that potential tapped.

15. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

is he really still working on it? The last update on his site was 2 years ago, and the last official release was over 3 years ago. I doubt emukidd will ever release another official version himself.

16. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
  17. c4p0

c4p0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    chilling with r2
    Having 21 games is worse then sad.

18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

There had to have been logical reasons why they didn't release more than that, they couldn't emulate the memory pak, but Wii64 did, which is also pathetic. Here's the Wii64, er thread where he mentions that it'll be out "soon" http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1810

I'd take that news with a kilogram of salt and not a grain.

19. Lostsam

Lostsam Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2013
    The only thing I want from "hacking" is making the gamepad compatible with the Pc so I can stream stuff from my pc to it.
    Would bypass the Wii U limits, my Pc is already more powerful than it so running the emulators on the Wii U rather than a more powerful PC would be simply worse.
    With a good wi-fi connection you could even play PCSX2 on it, something the Wii U will never be able to do.

Other useful things would be .pdf on it and h.264 hi10p video streaming with subtitles.
    Don't care to pirate actual Wii U games, they release them so far inbetween them I have no problems buying them all.

20. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    Is it possible to turn the game pad into a stand alone hand held with the right hack and hardware mod ?

21. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Natsume said they tried to bring Harvest Moon 64 to the VC but the limitations of the Wii made it next to impossible, yet they did try very hard to do so regardless. The 21 games, are undoubtedly the biggest N64 games that could be properly run on the Wii through VC (Japan had a few more games if I'm not mistaken), there is a thread on a certain site, don't think I can say which one, where people did a surprisingly large amount of N64 injects, probably just about all the possible ones, that all run great on the Wii aside from many of them not having proper save support. But if you sift through these injected games you wont see any of the big name titles you wanted, as it seems clear they just can't be done.