What is the point of SX OS?

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At the end of the day Nintendo doesn't want any unlicensed software running on their locked console and that would include Atmosphere as a replacement firmware. As said before the only saving grace is that it's not paid software, all the moral stuff people come up with is irrelevant from any legal point of view.

Easy way to keep Nintendo away? Stay non-profit. It takes cash flow to prove damages. If there was a Patreon for Atmosphere Nintendo would be all over it, so far SciresM has played it smart by not even taking donations.
You're right, but not 100%. Cash flow alone isn't enough to prove damages. You have to prove both that the devs are making money off of it AND that Nintendo is losing money because of it. Generally courts will assume that 1 pirated game = 1 game gone unpurchased (which is ridiculous) but they'd still need to prove that Atmosphère is endorsing piracy. So being vocally against it, or what you call "all the moral stuff people come up with", is actually judicially relevant, though less so than cash flow.

Reactions: Kopimist

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere likely won't be touched by Nintendo because it doesn't support backup loading. Sure does Nintendo not want any unlicensed software running on their consoles yes, but in many countries homebrew itself is legal and where the authors and contributors of AMS refuse to enable backup loading they should be fairly safe from Nintendo's wrath.

I just don't see it worth Nintendo's time, money and resources to pursue AMS legally as it would for one, likely be fruitless and two wouldn't have an effect on piracy anyways as AMS doesn't support it out of the box. I mean it does support emulation but I digress.

We all know emulation is legal pretty much everywhere and its up to the end user to violate copyright laws or not with pirated roms or legally using their own game dumps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1