Gaming What is the most technically impressive Nintendo 3DS game you can think of?

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I have to choose only one game, and not a N3DS exclusive (cof cof Xenoblade Chronicles 3D cof cof), Resident Evil Revelations. Because it's that good.

But besides it, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dead or Alive Dimensions, EX Troopers, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Monster Hunter and Super Smash Bros. are also very good examples.

Reactions: sirocyl

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Porting is literally remaking the game to work on a different system.

Emulation is asking one system to emulate the functions of another (You're basically asking a system to "run" an entirely separate system).

Porting is simpler than emulation, but the caveat is you basically need everything used to build the previous game.

I think we need to distinguish between not only emulation and porting, but also remaking. Porting a game from the Wii to 3DS is a 'simple' case of changing the target architecture in the compiler, optimising textures and other resources and adjusting menus etc for small screen and low res. This is because Wii games are generally written in a modern development environment with enough abstraction from the hardware to make a simple port.

It's not possible to simply port a SNES game becauae the sourceis, if it'still even around, is most likely in machine level assembly code and makes direct calls to the cpu,, graphics and sound hardware rather than portable APIs. A SNES game, therefore either needs to be emulated, or remade from the ground up, which is a far more time consuming task than porting.

Reactions: sirocyl

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I see some people talking about the framerate of MGS 3. Honestly, I think the game is playable and enjoyable at the same time. But that's me. Also yeah, Kid Icarus Uprising looks fantastic as well.

Reactions: Raylight

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I see some people talking about the framerate of MGS 3. Honestly, I think the game is playable and enjoyable at the same time. But that's me.
I found the game to be both playable and enjoyable, but the framerates in MGS3D were far from great. I think I would have preferred a bit of texture or polygon quality reduction in return for higher fps and/or fewer drops.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I found the game to be both playable and enjoyable, but the framerates in MGS3D were far from great. I think I would have preferred a bit of texture or polygon quality reduction in return for higher fps and/or fewer drops.
Yes, the framerate sure wasn't great, but I think it didn't really matter for a game like MGS 3. The low framerate made the cutscenes kinda cinematic and the game itself isn't a platformer or an FPS to actually need 30/30 or 60/60 framerate. But again, that's me.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Cubic Ninja. It pushed the system to its limits, and beyond its expectations.
About SNES emulation: The DS has a GPU closer to the SNES' so it can be done with HW emulation there which requires far less power than SW emulation. 3DSes need SW emulation to avoid glitches but only the N3DS has the power to do so.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
About SNES emulation: The DS has a GPU closer to the SNES' so it can be done with HW emulation there which requires far less power than SW emulation. 3DSes need SW emulation to avoid glitches but only the N3DS has the power to do so.

Yeah, the DS incorporates an enhanced version of the GBA hardware, which is similar enough to the SNES for off-loading to it. But of course, similar enough doesn't mean exact, as it lacks tile priority, offset-per-tile, multiple tile sizes, etc, and it has to convert from bitplane to bitmap to be used, so even the VRAM can't be laid out nicely.

The 3DS lacks this sort of access, so either the rendering has to be done in software (pixel-by-pixel), or use the GPU to render everything in polygon pairs. Every background tile, every sprite, even various effects, and all require the CPU to arrange them, so it's pushing the limit on both ends. Even with using the GPU in blargSNES, games like FFVI are exceeding the limits on an o3DS, resulting in 30fps in scenes that should be 60fps.

Sorry for the off-topic.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
RE: Revelations OR Mercs 3D - the sound design and graphics are well done. Failing that, the Monster Hunter series. Very impressive, and very fun.

And of course, the n3DS exclusive - Xenoblade Chronicles.

deadf1sh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So far i have been really impressed by Yokai Watch (2013), the game has many gameplay flaws but technically it is so well polished it's amazing, and the 3D mode is wonderful and immersive.
There are some very rare framedrop during batlle, but it put Pokemon to shame.
I'm really curious how the sequels improve.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Being able to make Xenoblade work on N3DS is a marvel, though the graphics take a horrendous downgrade. Visually, the Monster Hunter games tend to be great, but even on a N3DS they don't have a very solid frame rate. For visuals and performance, I'd have to give it to Bravely Default, that game was definitely impressive.

Reactions: zoogie

VirusX2

Master Race Beast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The topic pretty much says it all - I'm curious about what games you feel push the system to its limits, and beyond its expectations.
Every system has a handful of these.

I guess Bravely Default. because it really use the full 3D display with maximum Depth, Also Stunning cute Visuals, with very low lags.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Cj8n4MfhjUc?si=detAUm1a27hi4uTP