Hacking Question What is the current best modchip for the Switch?

SybreTiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to buy a modchip for my Switch, but I don't know what the best out there is right now. Is it Team Xecuter's SX Pro? Or AceNS? Or R4? OR something else? Ace and R4 are much cheaper, but are they as good? The main things I want to do with it are play xci and nsp files, as well as run emulators, particularly with RetroArch. I don't mind paying more for SX Pro if it does more and is worth it, but if R4 does the same things for cheaper, then why waste money.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Those are dongles = modchips in case.
So, to answer your title question: Best one is trinket m0 cause it can be used as a development board as well.
Otherwise, everything will get you the same stuff, CFW. Only with SX Pro, you're paying for the license as well.
So, if I were you, I would go for the cheapest dongle I can find.

P.S.: None of the dongles can do more than the others. With SX, you can directly load XCIs, with any other CFW, you can install XCIs. With SX OS, you can currently also load XCIs from external hdd, but you can't install to it (which might be never possible). With tinfoil, you can connect your switch to a PC via usb or via wifi and install it like that.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I use my cell phone as a dongle and AutoRCM (enabling with a SATA power cable jig). Definitely the cheapest way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Those are dongles = modchips in case.
So, to answer your title question: Best one is trinket m0 cause it can be used as a development board as well.
Otherwise, everything will get you the same stuff, CFW. Only with SX Pro, you're paying for the license as well.
So, if I were you, I would go for the cheapest dongle I can find.

P.S.: None of the dongles can do more than the others. With SX, you can directly load XCIs, with any other CFW, you can install XCIs. With SX OS, you can currently also load XCIs from external hdd, but you can't install to it (which might be never possible)
Btw, your white switch is the prettiest switch I've ever seen.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, my choice is 'SwitchME' installed inside your Switch, along with license key for SX OS, you get best of both worlds, simple, affordable internal dongle, and xci/hdd support, great also for Dock users like myself, and great still for portable users, as nothing extra to carry around.

Reactions: peteruk

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Personally, my choice is 'SwitchME' installed inside your Switch, along with license key for SX OS, you get best of both worlds, simple, affordable internal dongle, and xci/hdd support, great also for Dock users like myself, and great still for portable users, as nothing extra to carry around.
Please stop with the promotion.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: wiewiec

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gary is right. objectively, the switch me is the cheapest internal modchip (greatest convenience) and sx os has more features than than the other cfw's because of usb loading and xci support.

That's not the point. Gary is associated with team xecuter and is therefore not recommending sx os based on it's merits. He wants to sell it. Someone who wants to sell you something will always tell you, that his product is the best thing ever. That's nothing you should base your purchase on.

Last edited by Taorn,
Reactions: Huntereb and Vorde

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
SX Pro is the most convenient thing you can get for your Switch as of now.
I wear the jig and the extra small dongle inside the gamecart slot of my slim Switch case incase I run out of juice while travelling.
If you want to save money (or are broke), you could use your android phone as "dongle", in combination with some free cfw. But it's a broken ass solution imo, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: SLiV3R and elm

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SX Pro is the most convenient thing you can get for your Switch as of now.
I wear the jig and the extra small dongle inside the gamecart slot of my slim Switch case incase I run out of juice while travelling.
If you want to save money (or are broke), you could use your android phone as "dongle", in combination with some free cfw. But it's a broken ass solution imo, and I wouldn't recommend it.
Broken in what way?

Currently using free options, and it works great.

If you want to spend money for perceived convenience go ahead. But from I will say free options are completely viable and convenient enough.

Reactions: Bst22322

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Broken in what way?

Currently using free options, and it works great.

If you want to spend money for perceived convenience go ahead. But from I will say free options are completely viable and convenient enough.

If you don't have to use your smartphone with a cable, or a huge China dongle that has dimensions of a brick, it's not a perceived convenience, it's an objective convenience.
But free options also do the trick, and it's good that they exist. If I still would be a kid with with 15$ pocket money a month, I'd certainly go for these.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Disabuse me of my belief.
Here is your brick...
lXrUyxl.jpg

Unless your house is made from Lego bricks. Then I understand it.

Reactions: OrGoN3 and Taorn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over