Hacking What is the best firmware?

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'll Nevernever get a clear answer cause people like different firmware some like 3.2 others like 4.0, 4.1 or even 4.2 as long as you've got all the correct IOS's installed you shouldn't have a problem I don't think

D

Deleted User

If you want the SD-card menu, sdhc support for nintendo's official software, slightly faster system menu, you should update to 4.2U.

edit: just what longtom1 says, this is just my opinion.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevernever said:
I am currently on firmware v3.2u. What is the best firmware to be on at this time? Can you also give reasons why.
One advantage of 3.2 is that it gives the best brick protection. If you update and lose bootmii and preloader then you can still install a modchip and run a trucha signed recovery disc. You can also leave the twilight hack save installed (later system menus delete/block it) If you update above 3.2 then you can't do that.

However as long as you keep bootmii (with a valid nand backup) and preloader installed then this isn't too much of a consideration.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
link with version history.

IMO, it doesn't matter much. Most games and all homebrew run on all versions of the firmware itself. And if not, they simply need a certain IOS or cIOS installed. The system menu might be a bit faster, but honestly: it's not something I notice. The only real improvement I can see is the SDHD-card support (firmware 4.0 and onward).

Personally, I use 4.2. But for a very stupid reason: it is BECAUSE the upgrade to it removes any homebrew installed. I've read quite some stories on this site from people who were smart enough not to upgrade themselves, but who let their sister, family relative, dog or friend to come near their wii. And as it is with "other people": they ALWAYS manage to screw things up. That's why I took precautions and updated it myself (safely). I don't want them to see a pop-up that basically reads "click 'yes' to brick your wii".

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
4.2 is just a piracy and homebrew stopper as far as I know, so one would only want to go as far as 4.1 at the moment. There is no point in using 4.2. I agree that it can be very biased and opinionated, but personally for me, I like 4.1. I was on 3.2E for a while, but I finally decided to try 4.1E, and it works quite well. I haven't seen any decrease in compatibility or anything, but the only real problem is that the programmers are getting smarter, so making sure you have patched games before using that one DVD-R you have can be tricky. There is USB loading, but I don't like that, and I don't have a drive for it.

Anyway, I would say that if you are happy with 3.2, stick with it, but if you think you are up to perfecting a new install that requires different IOS files to function just right, then I'd say to go ahead, and upgrade to 4.1 (but at this point, no further. Like I said, 4.2 is pointless).

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wever said:
link with version history.

IMO, it doesn't matter much. Most games and all homebrew run on all versions of the firmware itself. And if not, they simply need a certain IOS or cIOS installed. The system menu might be a bit faster, but honestly: it's not something I notice. The only real improvement I can see is the SDHD-card support (firmware 4.0 and onward).

Personally, I use 4.2. But for a very stupid reason: it is BECAUSE the upgrade to it removes any homebrew installed. I've read quite some stories on this site from people who were smart enough not to upgrade themselves, but who let their sister, family relative, dog or friend to come near their wii. And as it is with "other people": they ALWAYS manage to screw things up. That's why I took precautions and updated it myself (safely). I don't want them to see a pop-up that basically reads "click 'yes' to brick your wii".
This.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
TCJJ said:
4.2 is just a piracy and homebrew stopper as far as I know, so one would only want to go as far as 4.1 at the moment. There is no point in using 4.2.

This is pure speculation: the fact is you don't know all the differences between 4.1 and 4.2 unless you fully disassembled both ... I doubt they are releasing system menu updates ONLY to remove the homebrew channel, there are probably other improvments and bug fixes that are "harder" to notice.
What is 100% sure is that there are no advantages in staying to 4.1 compared to using 4.2.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope...sorry, Jacobeian, but it isn't pure speculation. From the link I mentioned earlier: the differences between 4.1 and 4.2:

* Updates Wii Shop Channel (people with older firmware are unable to access it without updating theirs).
* Updates all IOSs and adds IOS70.[5][9]
* Deletes DVDX version 1 and Homebrew Channel versions 1.0.4 and older and blocks Bannerbomb v1[4]
* Implements stronger region checks for games, to remove the ability to run out-of-region games using modchips.
* Refuses to boot and displays the message "Error:003" on Korean systems that have had its software region changed to a different country.[5] [6]
* Installs boot2v4 if it had not been installed. This could brick consoles having user modified boot2 loaders and has a very slight chance to render even unmodified systems inoperable if the process was interrupted while it was being written.[4][7][8]
* Replaces IOSs 222, 223, 249 and 250 (spots where cIOSs are installed) with stubs.[9]

Of this list, only the first 2 aren't anti-piracy measures. And the importance of those 2 is questionable (games ship with the IOS version they need and IOS70 is only important because nintendo changed the system menu's IOS number).

So while this indeed doesn't prove that nintendo only released 4.2 to mess with hackers, you can easily say that it's a safe estimate.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
those are only selected constatations based on a few wiibrew articles and user reports, there is nothing new here : this does not change the fact that you cannot say for sure what has been added/fixed without totally disassembling the code (and I'm pretty sure some people did, those would be the ones to trust, not wikipedia quoting random articles)

Now, considering how much it must cost to Nintendo to provide a new system update, it's more reasonnable for me to think they wouldn't do it just to fix a few security issues, especially considering how easy it was to get over those "fixes". I guess "piracy fixes" come as a side effect and they have some kind of "release plan" for system menu updates (it would explain why they sometime took months to fix a single bug allowing piracy).

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Jacobeian said:
those are only selected constatations based on a few wiibrew articles and user reports, there is nothing new here : this does not change the fact that you cannot say for sure what has been added/fixed without totally disassembling the code (and I'm pretty sure some people did, those would be the ones to trust, not wikipedia quoting random articles)

Now, considering how much it must cost to Nintendo to provide a new system update, it's more reasonnable for me to think they wouldn't do it just to fix a few security issues, especially considering how easy it was to get over those "fixes". I guess "piracy fixes" come as a side effect and they have some kind of "release plan" for system menu updates (it would explain why they sometime took months to fix a single bug allowing piracy).
Any way to increase the difficulty in getting homebrew is a way to increase the difficulty of piracy.
A few minor changes to the system menu, plus pushing them out as an update, at least reduces piracy a tad. That reduction alone is worth far more then the costs you cite (which would be minimal, as it's bug fixes, all in all).

stickybit

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont know why they even bother to tackle hacks/piracy
we all know the wii has been bitch slapped inside out by hackers and thers always a way round something
exept gamecube usb loader
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1