Hardware What is the best 3DS to mod (hardware)?

Maxi_chips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I always wanted to mod a 3ds so i'm going to replace my Old 3ds. And now i wanna ask which is the model most "modable" (by modable I mean my most number of mods and aviability). (sorry for bad english lol)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The old3dsXL is the easiest. In terms of availability, all 6 models are easy to find on the used market.

In terms of what you can buy off the shelf new, old 2ds, new3dsXL, and new2dsXL are all current.

Last edited by zoogie,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wanted to mod a 3ds so i'm going to replace my Old 3ds. And now i wanna ask which is the model most "modable" (by modable I mean my most number of mods and aviability). (sorry for bad english lol)
The n3DSXL has the most aftermarket support for hardware accessories. The option to replace with (fairly available) IPS LCD screens and use the Monster Hunter (Double) Cross handgrip are the two biggest main attractions for this model. Repair parts are easy to come by and modular when replacing. There are several other popular items like PSP-1000 cap/Lenovo TrackPoint nub and capture card mod service, but those are not uniquely afford to n3DSXL itself.

Unless you have small hands finding the n3DSXL too big to hold, your cost of living budget doesn't allow you purchase it, or you intend to gift the system to small children who may be careless, I fully recommend the n3DSXL for hardware modding and accessorizing.

Reactions: Svinorin

Deleted member 457158

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes I recommend n3DSXL as well, because of overclocking features and such, but some issues people have are with the screens, the n3dsxl either comes with a cheap screen or a better expensive screen, (IPS or TN screen) it doesnt really make much a difference, but if u had an old 3ds and the n3ds doesnt have the same screen type, it may be hard to adjust to the new one with ur eyes

Ren_Ambrose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something I've found is that the new2DS in particular seems easier than the new3DS due to the fact that the SD card slot was moved right next to the game card slot, which means you don't have to take the back off if you find FTP to be too slow/confusing to use. Makes it so there's no risk of stripping the screws from repeated use.

Svinorin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The n3DSXL has the most aftermarket support for hardware accessories. The option to replace with (fairly available) IPS LCD screens and use the Monster Hunter (Double) Cross handgrip are the two biggest main attractions for this model. Repair parts are easy to come by and modular when replacing. There are several other popular items like PSP-1000 cap/Lenovo TrackPoint nub and capture card mod service, but those are not uniquely afford to n3DSXL itself.

Unless you have small hands finding the n3DSXL too big to hold, your cost of living budget doesn't allow you purchase it, or you intend to gift the system to small children who may be careless, I fully recommend the n3DSXL for hardware modding and accessorizing.

Seconded for the ips screen(s) (it looks quite lovely to play on and personally feels like the perfect sized screen) and the easy access to second hand parts for replacement. Spent maybe 4 bucks on a replacement d pad chip and was straight forward to swap out. Just now discovered the monster hunter accessory with this post, which seems pretty nifty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Normal sandwich bread is actually pretty good for sausage depends on length of course