what is EEPROM?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ssvapk, May 1, 2015.

1. ssvapk
    OP

ssvapk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2009
    United States
    I just started using sky3ds and seeing some games has the EEPROM as NO. what does that mean. I noticed the game Pokemon Alpha Sapphire has EEPROM NO and it won't play with samsung 16 micro sd card.

2. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    There are basicly two different cards for 3ds Games. The so called card1 games have an EEPROM chip (-> EEPROM=Yes), where the savedata is stored. Its about 1MB in size. This savedata is seperated from the ROM (for you: game) itself. Those kinds of cards are common for most games.

card2 games are a bit different. The ROM there contains a user-space, where the savegame is written. So it does not need an EEPROM to store savedata. (-> EEPROM=No) The savegames are not necessarily bigger than on card1 games but could store more data. Pokemon for example is a card2 game.

WhoAmI? likes this.
  3. ssvapk
    OP

ssvapk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2009
    United States
    Thanks GothicIII for the explanation..

4. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    I noticed fantasy life stores saves on the 3DS itself (sdcard) and these saves are not interchangeable. what category do they belong to?

5. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Fantasy Life saves to the exdata folder on the 3ds SD card iirc