PS1/2 What is AV multi out on a ps1?

CaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone please explain what multi out is on a ps1.
I know for a fact that the ps1 will work with composite and
S-video, but what else can it do?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"AV multi out" is the standard video socket of PS1/2/3 (only early PS1s have direct RCA composite sockets, and only the very first Japanese 1000 model has a direct S-Video socket)

It carries RGB, composite, S-Video, and stereo audio.

On PS2 and PS3, the RGB outputs can also be switched to YPbPr ("component"); additionally, PS1 lacks 220 microfarad capacitors on the RGB lines (which should then be added in the motherboard or cable for correct brightness output, if RGB is going to be used)

Reactions: bennyman123abc

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are chasing image quality perfection on the PS1, then you should use the beetle PSX core in retroarch with a CRT-royale kurozumi shader.
Failing that, then a PS3 is a good bet, though games are hit or miss on image quality on PS3.
Or use a PSVITA OLED with henkaku for an amazing way to play on the go. OR you could use a PSP go that can be played on the go with a decent screen, and also allows for video out via component.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
it's the default playstation video out port, it's like an "all in one" port, its been used in the ps1, ps2, ps3..
it's a combo port that outputs all the different kinds and types of video the console can do, making you just need 1 port and depending in the cable you use you get different type of video\audio (composite, rgb, s video)

like ryccardo explained only the first model had the normal RCA connectors as a bonus basically.
in plebs talk: it's that port where you connect your ps1\ps2 to the tv (the ps3 is more common to just use the hdmi than this port)
the one you connect this cable: http://img.fasttechcdn.com/106/1069500/1069500-3.jpg

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If you are chasing image quality perfection on the PS1, then you should use the beetle PSX core in retroarch with a CRT-royale kurozumi shader.
Failing that, then a PS3 is a good bet, though games are hit or miss on image quality on PS3.
Or use a PSVITA OLED with henkaku for an amazing way to play on the go. OR you could use a PSP go that can be played on the go with a decent screen, and also allows for video out via component.
Ps3 can't output 240p which is lame.

it's the default playstation video out port, it's like an "all in one" port, its been used in the ps1, ps2, ps3..
it's a combo port that outputs all the different kinds and types of video the console can do, making you just need 1 port and depending in the cable you use you get different type of video\audio (composite, rgb, s video)

like ryccardo explained only the first model had the normal RCA connectors as a bonus basically.
in plebs talk: it's that port where you connect your ps1\ps2 to the tv (the ps3 is more common to just use the hdmi than this port)
the one you connect this cable: http://img.fasttechcdn.com/106/1069500/1069500-3.jpg
Gamestop cables are cool they can output RGB and Component. And I think official component cables do the same too.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't normally refer to Youtube videos for more information, but this is so chalkfull of information on the subject, it would be difficult to ignore.

And for Playstation 2

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't normally refer to Youtube videos for more information, but this is so chalkfull of information on the subject, it would be difficult to ignore.
And for Playstation 2
The only thing missing from these videos is that they fail to mention that the PS2 has playback issues with PS1 games. And the later PS2 models even have issues playing some PS2 games. Therefore the PS2 should be a PS2 only machine.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only thing missing from these videos is that they fail to mention that the PS2 has playback issues with PS1 games. And the later PS2 models even have issues playing some PS2 games. Therefore the PS2 should be a PS2 only machine.
Oh yeah? That's unfortunate.
Is there a source for this information?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Interesting I never knew this. Thanks for the info :)
The idea is that, while in (hardware) PS1 mode, the IOP becomes the main processor (which happens to be an upgraded PS1 one) while the main EE emulates the other PS1 components, but that isn't 100% accurate (see how there are options for upgrading disc speed or smoothing textures)...

...then the 75000 series replaced the IOP with a "Deckard" monstrosity, which is a PowerPC system on a chip (thought to emulate the original RISC IOP, with the change having been for cost cutting, but later believed to actually have a RISC core inside - it's still not well understood)

All of these changes, of course, were implemented with the "cost cutting first, consumers maybe, reliability last" policy of the involved media and electronics multinational

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
The idea is that, while in (hardware) PS1 mode, the IOP becomes the main processor (which happens to be an upgraded PS1 one) while the main EE emulates the other PS1 components, but that isn't 100% accurate (see how there are options for upgrading disc speed or smoothing textures)...

...then the 75000 series replaced the IOP with a "Deckard" monstrosity, which is a PowerPC system on a chip (thought to emulate the original RISC IOP, with the change having been for cost cutting, but later believed to actually have a RISC core inside - it's still not well understood)

All of these changes, of course, were implemented with the "cost cutting first, consumers maybe, reliability last" policy of the involved media and electronics multinational
Sadly this followed into the PS3, leaving hardware backwards compatible PS3's with an HDMI output, a non-240p component port, horrible reliability, and presumably the very same issues that plagued later PS2 model compatibility.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
It's worth noting that Tomba! works on my PS2 so not every detail is covered on it. Can't remember my model number yet
Model numbers and region-specific game differences may account for variability in the list's accuracy.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly this followed into the PS3, leaving hardware backwards compatible PS3's with an HDMI output, a non-240p component port, horrible reliability, and presumably the very same issues that plagued later PS2 model compatibility.
PS3 emulates PSX, not true hardware BC, whether you like the job it does is personal preference. I prefer PS2 myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1