Hardware What function does the IR have on the new 3ds? would it be possible to use it for external controls?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,956
  • Replies 10
D

Deleted User

OP
i remember the IR sensor being used for the external NFC Amiibo Scanner, and the Circlepad pro, but both of these are integrated on the new 3ds, also, since the circlepad pro added external controls that interfaced through the IR sensor, would it be possible to make a fully fledged controller that interfaced through the IR sensor?

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's there in case Nintendo made any more accessories in the future and maybe some games use it for communicating with another 3DS but I don't think so

BEEMOO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If somebody could program it then yes. It would be awesome to be able to control the tv with my 3ds.. lol

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If somebody could program it then yes. It would be awesome to be able to control the tv with my 3ds.. lol
Past explorations with IR have shown that the IR has a very crappy range. Its only good for like a few inches from the console basically. You will be better off with a tv remote than a 3ds for the tv.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i remember the IR sensor being used for the external NFC Amiibo Scanner, and the Circlepad pro, but both of these are integrated on the new 3ds, also, since the circlepad pro added external controls that interfaced through the IR sensor, would it be possible to make a fully fledged controller that interfaced through the IR sensor?
As far as I know, no. The IR API on the 3DS is very limited. You can't do anything other than what it was designed for without spending serious effort reversing the IR API to figure out how to send and receive raw commands (which no one has quite figured out yet it seems)

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Past explorations with IR have shown that the IR has a very crappy range. Its only good for like a few inches from the console basically. You will be better off with a tv remote than a 3ds for the tv.
it's not that it is crappy it was meant to put two units side by side to pass data and Nintendo didn't have to pay to use it kind of like the early form of NFC

D

Deleted User

OP
i had a bluetooth or usb controller addon in mind
As far as I know, no. The IR API on the 3DS is very limited. You can't do anything other than what it was designed for without spending serious effort reversing the IR API to figure out how to send and receive raw commands (which no one has quite figured out yet it seems)
that sucks, for a moment i thought there was a way of implementing external controls without irreversible hardware modifications
For the same reason in was on the normal 3ds, and for other 3ds games that have multiplayer or trading with it.
i never played multiplayer games on the 3ds, so thanks for telling me!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i had a bluetooth or usb controller addon in mind

that sucks, for a moment i thought there was a way of implementing external controls without irreversible hardware modifications

i never played multiplayer games on the 3ds, so thanks for telling me!
There is, but it may require making a custom IR sysmodule that allows for sending custom data. Unless there is a way to do the same thing in normal software. Either way, someone would have to reverse the IR functionality and figure out how to access the IR hardware directly. Should be possible though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol