Gaming What format is a NSW file from BigBlueBox??

MrRochie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post the full file names of those files?
Donkey.Kong.Country.Tropical.Freeze.NSW-Big.Blue.Box
Kirby.Star.Allies.NSW-BigBlueBox
Mario.Odyssey.NSW-BigBlueBox

Filetype is NSW-BigBlueBox file

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even on the rar files 7zip says it cant open the files as archive..

MrRochie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to use a downloader when getting the roms. I tried dloading them with Firefox then chrome I either got corrupted files or partial downloads. Using jdownloader v2 downloaded over 100 roms on the first attempt.
But isnt that tool used with Newgroups, Usenet stuff like that? Not a straight download?

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Basically dumps will be either XCI or NCA if I am not mistaken.
Not dropping any hints as where to find them but they should not be hard to find. (Literally took me 1 search on google)

Slightly off-topic;
Personally the only thing I care about is having a digital version of my physical games ... so yes I will be using WAIN cart dumper to dump my own games as soon as we have a means to load them.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just unzipped approx. 105 games from BBB. I used 7zip and didn't have an issue with any of them, all of them produced a working XCI file. Each uncompressed XCI file should correspond to a cartridge size (1.85GB file / 2GB cartridge, 14.8GB / 16GB cartridge) etc. Files from the same cartridge size should all end up being the same size because the BBB files are raw untrimmed dumps with the header 'F'ed out.

Like most have said, you probably got them from a bad source if you can't unzip them with 7zip or the final files end up being different sizes. I was lucky enough to grab them all from the same super-fast reliable source (that sadly is gone now :sad:).

If they are rar are they password protected?? Maybe thats why it says they are in a unrecognizable format or corrupt.. ?

None of the 105 BBB files I unzipped with 7zip asked for a password. But that could depend on the source you got it from too however.

Just want to add some questions...

.3ds is the file extension for 3ds retail dump cart, while .cia on 3ds digital dump.
if the .nsw is the file extension for nintendo switch retail dump, whats the file extension for nintendo switch digital dump?

XCI is the file format for retail games and NSP are for eShop games (Yooka Laylee is a NSP file for the BBB release, the nfo mentions this will be the eShop format). I have yet to see any 'NSW' file you're talking about, I think you're reading the file description (NSW is the short form for labeling Nintendo Switch games).

EDIT: It was actually 107 titles. And if anyone is curious, that worked out to be approx 670GB uncompressed :teach:

Last edited by Albytrozz,
Reactions: noctis90210

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically dumps will be either XCI or NCA if I am not mistaken.
Not dropping any hints as where to find them but they should not be hard to find. (Literally took me 1 search on google)

Slightly off-topic;
Personally the only thing I care about is having a digital version of my physical games ... so yes I will be using WAIN cart dumper to dump my own games as soon as we have a means to load them.

If you dump your own physical carts (like I have done as well) you can use those dumps to play online and shouldn't have any trouble, as your unique header will be in the file. That said NEVER SHARE those files without 'F'ing the headers first or you may find yourself banned the next time you try getting online with your rip/cart :blink:

MrRochie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cudos to all who replied keep them coming!!!!!!! The more I worked with what I have, the more I think it is a source problem so I'm gonna blow them out and try to find a reliable fast source from somewhere without trying usenet or pulling many files from many locatons... that is too time consuming for me right now... What a "learning curve" roller coaster I'm on team...

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cudos to all who replied keep them coming!!!!!!! The more I worked with what I have, the more I think it is a source problem so I'm gonna blow them out and try to find a reliable fast source from somewhere without trying usenet or pulling many files from many locatons... that is too time consuming for me right now... What a "learning curve" roller coaster I'm on team...

The user that suggested jDownloader2 was right as well, I just started using it again for this very purpose. Use it to download instead of your browser (just copy the link to the file you're downloading to clipboard and it'll detect it). You SHOULD get a folder with a bunch of .001, .002, etc files downloaded. Use 7zip to decompress those, in the end you should end up with a .xci file and you're good to go... well when a loader is released I guess :P

asnka

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Window hides know file extensions by default, so you could be messing up the file names by adding .rar
go to folder options and uncheck hide known extensions.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first downloaded a Switch game, I had problems getting it to extract too. I am on a Mac, and I tried several unzip programs....however, turns out the most obvious answer wasn't so obvious for me. Latest version of Winzip will work! it's the only program i've found on Mac that will extract the archive/parts...i'm sure the same would be true for Windows as well

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you dump your own physical carts (like I have done as well) you can use those dumps to play online and shouldn't have any trouble, as your unique header will be in the file. That said NEVER SHARE those files without 'F'ing the headers first or you may find yourself banned the next time you try getting online with your rip/cart :blink:
Don't worry I know :) such stuff is private content all the way.

MrRochie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's another question for the team.. If I pull down a file that contains
exeFS and the romFS(in .istorage) can that be converted to a XCI format.. Yes yes yes I'm an idiot noob... Yes I know it... Thanks team :-)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Albytrozz thanks for the info...
anyway, is there any program/app to download .nsp file? like funkeycia on 3ds couterpart?
Actually, there is. Look for a CDN downloader. It downloads eShop titles, DLC, and updates from Nintendo's servers onto your computer. Be warned that using it requires your console's unique certificate meaning it is a VERY high risk for a ban when used period.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here's another question for the team.. If I pull down a file that contains
exeFS and the romFS(in .istorage) can that be converted to a XCI format.. Yes yes yes I'm an idiot noob... Yes I know it... Thanks team :-)
No, just download the PROPER release of the same cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь