Hardware What factors in for certain device storage not working

Sly 3 4 me

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking of buying a hard drive or flash drive for storage reasons and also use it on the side for loading of my backups on the Wii. I know of the USB Compatibility List, but am contemplating on purchasing something not on the list, but cheaper than it would cost for a device that has the same storage amount. What factors contribute beside the sleep mode, security software protection, and overall dodginess of the parts used for the device? Most devices sold by Amazon, Ebay, and major retailers are done by popular companies that put some type of effort to sell their product, meaning they use semi-decent parts. What part of a flash drive or hard drive is the limiting factor on why it may not work on the wii? What causes a hard drive to spin down on the wii when there is obvious transfer and processing of data, or for a flash drive to not work when most use the same power supplied through a USB 2.0 port?

Sly 3 4 me

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dislike bumping, but I plan to buy one soon; if anyone has any insight for this, could they provide some? Seems as though this had gone unseen as I posted it later at night.

Thanks.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use the latest custom IOS files the compatibility is fantastic almost any external hard drive will work fine, I bought two different enclosures a long time ago and both of them didn't work so I gave up on them for a long time, then out of curiosity one day (like 2 years later I kid you not.) I tried them out and after a little playing around with them, I got both of them working.

If your just buying an enclosure you might still run into issues but the two no name ones I have both work.

You should post the model of the external hard drive/drives or the enclosure your thinking of buying maybe some one else has already tried it and can tell you :)

Sly 3 4 me

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating them can allow different devices to work with the Wii? That's pretty interesting, I thought it was one of those 'If it doesn't work with any loaders, then you're out of luck' sort of deals.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: