What EXACTLY breaks the DS exploit?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kylecito, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kylecito
    OP

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Say, in case you didn't have the blue GW card and you wanted to play safe, which things would break the DS exploit, while in SysNAND, EmuNAND or CFWNAND?

SYSNAND:

- Opening any DS game will completely break the exploit

- Changing the system language

- Changing any information such as date, time, username, birthday

- Does setting up a WIFI break it?

And, what about emulated NANDs? I have had mixed results with this... Gateway seems to handle going into the settings well, I think I've set up an Internet connection on emuNAND without it breaking the exploit, and I *think* I have played with the time and date more than once with Animal Crossing without breaking the exploit either.

I think CFW might be more break-prone, as I am almost sure I broke the exploit by changing the system language while in CFW. What about setting up an internet connection or changing other settings? has anyone tried?

2. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    DS(i) mode kernel running on the arm11 (twl_firm) probably detects the corruption of the DS profile nvram data (where the first part of the rop chain of the exploit is stored) and resets it (I'm curious too, if any dev can confirm this). If you change those settings, they'll also get saved to the DS profile nvram, so it'll break the exploit data.

Kylecito likes this.
  3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah if you play a DS game it wipes the profile, but changing anything that the 3DS reflects to the DS profile like Name, DOB etc will just mess it up rather than reset the profile completely

4. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    All good info, but if you want to play it extra safe, buy a cheap ds flashcard for a few currency units.

5. Kylecito
    OP

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire

Haha it was actually more of a question thread than a facts one. Sometimes you just leave home without your DS card, or lend your system to someone who doesn't have a R4, I don't know. Every piece of info we can get about how the hack works is good!