What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Devante, Jul 8, 2008.

Jul 8, 2008

What does this mean? by Devante at 2:44 AM (1,512 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Devante
    OP

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I installed a Wiikey onto a D2B with cut pins.

The Wii won't recognize any games.
    But if I desolder the ACC + GND wires, and leave all the other wires soldered to the Wiikey and Wii, the drive will read retail disks again.

Please list all the possibilities!

Could it be just that the Wiikey doesn't work?

2. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Could be... have you tried one of the wiikey recovery discs?

Does the drive still take the discs but not read them when the wiikey is connected?

Have you checked all your points with a multimeter to be certain there are no bridges or loose connections?

3. Devante
    OP

United States
    Oh yeah, I did triple check every point with a multimeter. Everything is connected securely and without bridges.

What the drive will do is take the disc, spin it up for as long as it takes to get to the Wii menu, then the disc will stop spinning. It won't stop spinning instantly, but it slows to a stop.

Oh and tried Wiikey Recovery Disk 1.9b and the Wii won't read it. :/

4. jwcgator

Member jwcgator GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wiikey....cut legs? Those 2 don't match. The wiikey uses those cut legs so if you didn't grind down the drivechip to expose the copper wiring and solder the wires to that, it won't work.

5. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Stop!!!!! before you break your wii drive with all the instalations

wiikey installed and originals stop working, means the chip didn't come pre-configured, but is working fine. you can prove this by putting in a wiikey config disc and you'll see the GC logo in the disc channel, but it will error when run if the wii's firmware in 3.0 or above.

all you need to do is get a config disc running, this can be tricky tho and can mean hex-editing a config iso and a disc swap.

google "non configured wiikey" for a ready made config disc or instructions, i have some ready made ones but they are gcos based and need a gc controller connected to navigate.

http://forums.lovingwii.com/mod-chip/1141-...re-how-fix.html

6. Devante
    OP

United States
    So here's what I did...

Followed the instructions in 1st post (not 2nd).
    But instead of booting the original 1.2 config disc from the hex edited GCOS disc menu, I booted a 1.9s update disk. (I don't know what I was thinking, I blanked out on the last step.)

Anyway, it looks like it updated the Wiikey fine, but when it rebooted, it won't read ANY discs. Not even the hex edited 1.2 GCOS disc.

I even tried the "leave the 1.9s recovery disc in the drive for 5 minutes" thing.

Any ideas on what to do now? Or did I mess it up completely?

edit:

I burned the 1.9s config disc from the Wiikey website and it worked. Made sure region override, etc. was on and saved the settings.
    Now originals and backups both work.
    The only thing is now the 1.9s config disc will NOT work anymore. ha!