Hacking Homebrew What does firm1 and firm0 actually do?

EnergeticEnergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot9 loads the firmware from a FIRM partition, usually NATIVE_FIRM on a stock console but boot9strap (or fastboot3DS) on a modified one. FIRM0 is the primary partition, FIRM1 is a backup in case the previous is corrupted.
Okay, I see... So what else can be installed on there? Is it just exclusive to native firm or a CFW?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, I see... So what else can be installed on there? Is it just exclusive to native firm or a CFW?
Any .firm payload basically. In theory you could install Luma3DS directly into FIRM. Or GodMode9. But there's not much point to doing so as it would just make it harder to update.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Personally I put fb3ds on firm0 and gm9 on firm1. Useful to always have it available regardless of SD card.

Update is easy, you just put the new firm on SD and flash to firm1 in fb3ds. You do need to enable dev mode though to flash ir boot anything to/from firm1.

EnergeticEnergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I put fb3ds on firm0 and gm9 on firm1. Useful to always have it available regardless of SD card.

Update is easy, you just put the new firm on SD and flash to firm1 in fb3ds. You do need to enable dev mode though to flash ir boot anything to/from firm1.
How can I switch from b9s to something else, also what would be the benefits?

EnergeticEnergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any .firm payload basically. In theory you could install Luma3DS directly into FIRM. Or GodMode9. But there's not much point to doing so as it would just make it harder to update.
I gotchu, so I don't know if you have heard of BAX (BootAnim10) but basically it is a firm which loads a video and then boots whatever you are attempting to start up. Would this be possible to put in FIRM so that I could boot it first before luma or is there a better way of going about this, I basically am just trying to change my boot path but I'm not sure how to do this.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How can I switch from b9s to something else, also what would be the benefits?
You just flash a different firm to firm0 instead of b9s. You can do that with gm9, or with open firm installer.

The benefits of fb3ds is that you can have more granular control over your boot options, for instance by default mine boots cfw when no buttons held, if I hold R it boots gm9. You can assign different button combinations for each payload to load them directly, instead of having to select them in a menu like you would have to do with luma chainloader. Some payloads have trouble working properly when you chainload them through luma as well, I believe that may have been resolved in recent months though.

You can do nand backups/restores directly from within it, as well, so if that was the only thing you used gm9 for, you can get rid of it and just have fb3ds for everything.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I gotchu, so I don't know if you have heard of BAX (BootAnim10) but basically it is a firm which loads a video and then boots whatever you are attempting to start up. Would this be possible to put in FIRM so that I could boot it first before luma or is there a better way of going about this, I basically am just trying to change my boot path but I'm not sure how to do this.
If you put it as boot.firm, it already loads before Luma anyway, and Luma is loaded from SD:\bax\boot.firm

EnergeticEnergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just flash a different firm to firm0 instead of b9s. You can do that with gm9, or with open firm installer.

The benefits of fb3ds is that you can have more granular control over your boot options, for instance by default mine boots cfw when no buttons held, if I hold R it boots gm9. You can assign different button combinations for each payload to load them directly, instead of having to select them in a menu like you would have to do with luma chainloader. Some payloads have trouble working properly when you chainload them through luma as well, I believe that may have been resolved in recent months though.

You can do nand backups/restores directly from within it, as well, so if that was the only thing you used gm9 for, you can get rid of it and just have fb3ds for everything.
ohhh ok thanks!

EnergeticEnergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you put it as boot.firm, it already loads before Luma anyway, and Luma is loaded from SD:\bax\boot.firm
Well, yes... But if you have an app like CTGP-7 which has to read the boot.firm to load plugins, it is conflicted with the fact that whatever you renamed to boot.firm, isn't actually luma and it will delete and replace it with the actual luma with the plugin installed.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, yes... But if you have an app like CTGP-7 which has to read the boot.firm to load plugins, it is conflicted with the fact that whatever you renamed to boot.firm, isn't actually luma and it will delete and replace it with the actual luma with the plugin installed.
Ive yet to see any program that ISNT malicious to actually replace the boot.firm without YOUR consent or doing.

EnergeticEnergy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive yet to see any program that ISNT malicious to actually replace the boot.firm without YOUR consent or doing.
CTGP-7 does, it requires the plugin so it can load the mod, and yes. You do have to consent to it. Whenever I had BAX named to boot.firm, it replaced it with luma and therefore BAX couldn't start (obviously though).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu