The Christian Gamers Group

What does an "encounter with God" feel like?

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When I was younger I was a Christian and sometimes when I went to megachurches the preachers would talk about someone having their "encounter with God". At this time I believed in what was happening but wasn't able to relate to it myself. I'm not a believer anymore but I'm asking out of curiosity, not skepticism. What does it feel like? What do you see or hear?

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@toolazytosearchitmyself As a Christian who doesn't follow megachurches, I am very skeptical about these so-called "encounters with God". If that was the foundation of your Christian belief, then I don't wonder why you decided not to be a Christian anymore. Usually, these "encounters" are made-up stories that megachurches tell to persuade you to join their church and give them money.

That said, there are indeed people who have had real encounters with the supernatural, and not just with God, in what is called "after-life experiences". They range from experiences in an alternate Earth, a place of darkness and torment, life movies of important interactions with other people, meetings with deceased family members, and even a Christ-like figure that people who have died just intrinsically know is Jesus without fully understanding why or how they know. This is given more credibility upon knowing that the person's body is considered completely mortem, i.e. all activity in the brain, heart, and lungs cease to exist, and then suddenly come back to life.

There's actually explorations in quantum physics which may also provide hard evidence about an alternate reality, or spiritual realm. For instance, there is an interesting case study that theorizes our consciousness may lie in the quantum realm. It doesn't go so much into the spiritual aspect of it all, but it could very well be one step towards non-believers understanding where spirits (providing they exist) truly are, and whether God as a supreme being is for real or not.

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: