Hardware What does a system transfer do?

Grin59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I system transfer from a 2ds xl to a n3ds xl, what happens? Do I lose my games installed, that were installed with a cia? Another big one I'm worried about is losing my time log because if I really get some hours I don't wanna lose them.

Quick edit, I'm going to search through a few other threads for help. Although I think I found one for the games, but I'm still wondering about other things like the play log.

Last edited by Grin59,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If I system transfer from a 2ds xl to a n3ds xl, what happens? Do I lose my games installed, that were installed with a cia? Another big one I'm worried about is losing my time log because if I really get some hours I don't wanna lose them.

Quick edit, I'm going to search through a few other threads for help. Although I think I found one for the games, but I'm still wondering about other things like the play log.
Any installed CIAs won't have their tickets transferred, so what you have to do is back up the tickets on the source console beforehand with GM9, and reinstall them on the target after the transfer with FBI. Everything else is transferred, the source console is formatted at the end.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I recently performed a System Transfer myself. Everything, including all SD contents, themes, Activity Log data and legit games are transferred, while cia games are removed. Back them up with gm9 first. Note that data is transferred at roughly 2GB/1hr, so it may take a very long time to complete if you have a bunch of junk like me (:

Reactions: Grin59

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I recently performed a System Transfer myself. Everything, including all SD contents, themes, Activity Log data and legit games are transferred, while cia games are removed. Back them up with gm9 first. Note that data is transferred at roughly 2GB/1hr, so it may take a very long time to complete if you have a bunch of junk like me (:
I suggest picking the option where you move over the SD card or transfer over its contents with a PC instead. Way faster.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The cia games are not removed, their tickets are. If you install their ticket they will appear on the target console without having to install the game again as noted by jdbye.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So, just to be clear, if I perform a system transfer without backing up, do I have to install just the tickets on the source system to get them back?
Oh maybe I got confused as to what you meant - I meant that the cia games will be transferred to the target system, but won't show up on the home menu until you install their tickets. You'll still need to restore a backup to the source console (since it gets formatted) if you want them back there. Sorry for the confusion!!

Reactions: Grin59

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh maybe I got confused as to what you meant - I meant that the cia games will be transferred to the target system, but won't show up on the home menu until you install their tickets. You'll still need to restore a backup to the source console (since it gets formatted) if you want them back there. Sorry for the confusion!!
Aw, darn. Back to manual cia installation...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Aw, darn. Back to manual cia installation...
Note if you reinstall the CIAs on the target console the saves are lost. You have to either back up the saves (with Checkpoint) before transferring or back up the tickets before transferring (with GM9) as reinstalling the tickets only won't cause the saves to be lost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: And I'm just an occasional CD :shy::blush::D