FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So a little while back someone decided to pull me up on calling my dad "Dad". I found being pulled up here odd but apparently when some people get to be adults themselves they start using first names, my general thoughts when I hear that are either people not expecting others to know the relationship, wanting to mask the relationship* or have had the relationship deteriorate (if it ever existed).

*some have said I have a reputation for a certain style of debate/reason, one does not inherit from strangers and occasionally we find ourselves showing someone the light (usually someone in sales for something). Such things are useful in these instances.

Grandparents too if you want. If you have something to add with some flavour of aunts or uncles (or further afield then go it). Did your grandparents specify a term?

I would say local language equivalents but given English seems to run
Mum
Mom (granted this is more of a US English thing).
Mam
Mummy
Momma
Ma
Mater
Mother
and this could continue for a while, never mind also adding alternative terms for grandparents, I don't want to simplify it in case you do use a "rarer" form in your common/spoken language you use with your parents.

Equally are your parents known by another name? I have one friend who is known as his first name to his mum, a few school friends and absolutely everybody else, including his children and significant others over the years, uses a nickname and there is a good chance many don't even know his "real" name.

Some also seem to find the use of "my" when referring to someone as odd, favouring instead dropping it. If you have something to share there then by all means do.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I've started calling my mother by an abbreviation of her first name in recent years, but only occasionally in situations where I feel like emphasizing comedic exasperation with her. I don't do the same for my father, as he shares my name and it feels odd to call someone else by my name. Mostly, I just use what I've always used: Mom and Papa.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's Mum/Dad for me (or a variation of it depending on which language I decide to use at the time). Not sure why someone would call you out for that since (I assume) most of the world does the same. If anything, I find calling my parents by their first name or Mr/Mrs XYZ to be just odd.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always have called them Mom/Dad, but now I'm estranged from my parents. They're assholes, and unless they make amends I think I'll stick to a first-name basis with them, that's if I bother communicating with them at all.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Depends. I often treat my mother by her first name or a shortened version of said name, but that's more because it kinda felt weird to call for my mother when we were both training at the same time. I sometimes call her "doctor", as well, as that is what others often call her. It started off as me joking, but I got used to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over