What do I need to softmod an Xbox?

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been looking around forever and I have found no clear way on what I need. I have a original xbox with one gamestop controller. i have no memory cards or anything else. It seems I need to buy Splinter Cell and an Action Replay Max but some guides also say you need another memory card and some sort of FlashFXP disk. I just want to know what I need for sure because if all I need is the Action Replay and Splinter cell then I will go ahead and do it but if I need more then I dont know if I will. Thanks

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every guide I see on google makes TOTAL sense to me, and I did it literally 6-8yrs ago.

Splinter Cell with an action replay mem card

or

Mech Assault with an action replay mem card

or

James Bond with an action replay mem card

www.xboxscene.com check the tutorial tab.

http://www.xboxscene.com/articles/audio-xploit-mech.php - I used this one 8yrs old
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=215055

Second thought, just get a X3 or X2 modchip that is solderless, and you'll be set for life. Audio and soft hacks can easily get messed up.

Wynd

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a couple ways to do it, but the way you're talking about with an Action Replay and one of the three "magic" games is easiest. I got the save file that installs the custom dash off of xbins and used Splinter Cell. If you have no idea what xbins is, google a program called autoxbins. It will connect to an ftp automatically where you can browse and download things such as the save you need. Just make sure you get the original print of the "magic" game, and not a greatest hits version. It's been a while since I did it, but I remember transfering the save from the memory card to the xbox HD and then playing the game and loading the save. From there on there were easy to follow instructions on the screen.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The softmod I had in 2003, and i used up until about Summer of 2009, was the audio hack with the phoenix bios, basically a button combo from the music menu of the dashboard loaded up MXM. The issue was that I had to constantly fix the audio haxx as it would get corrupted, which means you had to bring out the Mech Assault, or other games to run the hacked save file again.

Running MXM or Evolution Dashboard with a game allows you to install and run games, but if you eject a disc, your console with reset.

Running MXM or Evolution Dashboard with a music CD and the audio hack allows you to install and run games, and load stuff from discs. (as the other way does not).

You can avoid ALLLL this by just having a modchip. It's also a safer alternative if you delete or corrupt a wrong file.

MXM is one of many custom dashboards. I highly recommend XBMC, you can find it on demonoid/piratesbay or Xbins. Xbins is a mIRC prog channel that has loads of homebrew, isos, etc (no games, just apps).

xboxscene.com is still a great website for the original xbox.

Wynd

Posts merged

You can get the X2 Lit one for like 20-25$ plus shipping with a solderless adapter. Just make sure you know what xbox you have. There's a tutorial on xboxscene that says that.

Wynd

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FTP.... you can use FlashXP, or any other windows/MAC FTP prog. Basically you copy files over a specific ISP your XBox has, so you
need a cross over cable, or the xbox hooked up to your router.

Also if ur xbox reads CD-R's or DVD-R's, you can copy files over by disc.

Wynd

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to be covered but in condensed form you have four options

Softmod via game
This is one of the three games wyndcrosser mentioned, the basic idea is you use a specially hacked save with one of those games. The trouble comes in getting the save on the console.
You can use an action replay and a memory card. Neither are especially difficult to find if you can wait a while.
You do have alternatives though- the action replay is little more than a fancy USB adapter and software backend. You can then rip apart a USB extension cable, slice into the controller wire, solder like coloured wires (there will be an extra yellow wire in the controller- leave it intact) and use the controller as an action replay of sorts for a memory card or if you are lucky enough to have a compatible USB drive then you can use that instead.
If you know someone with a modded xbox then you can get them to stick the saves on something and avoid the action replay.
http://www.aid.xbox-hq.com/index.php?title...nstaller_Deluxe has a fair bit on this. Indeed softmod installer deluxe is probably the best/easiest way to softmod an xbox.

Softmod via hard drive hotswap
If you wanted this could also be a fourth method of getting the save on there but that is a roundabout way if ever I heard one.
The xbox hard drive in unhacked mode (important note at the end of this section) uses a little used feature known as drive locking, to work it has to unlock so if you are good you can pull the drive when it unlocks and shove it onto your PC which at this time is running a special version of linux (xboxHDM) at which point you can transfer the necessary files.
There is a second option with a modded xbox and hotswapping there but I advise against it.
Some links/discussion in this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=210693

Hardmod by modchip
This replaces the BIOS with a custom one, as pretty much all the protection is courtesy of the BIOS......
You can if you want, I would consider it long and hard though as chips are fairly hard to find at a decent price.

Hardmod by TSOP flash (everything but 1.6 model xboxes)
Older model xboxes have a flashable BIOS which you can flash by bridging some points on the motherboard. All the fun of a modchip but without the cost. Most people count TSOP and modchips as one (indeed I first typed three methods for the first line)
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/TSOP_flashing_HOWTO

Modchips vs softmods- remember drive locking, not all drives can do it ( http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list ) and as softmods load fairly late in the boot cycle the drives needs to be locked for the softmod to work. Modchips/TSOP flash dodge this.

If the auto installer deluxe disc does not have what you are looking for (doubtful but it can happen) then FTP is what pretty much everyone uses (xbins and the previously mentioned frontend autoxbins will sort you there), USB is possible but it is stuck with the same limitations mentioned in softmodding not to mention it is USB 1.1 and so very slow (about 400K/second- enough to watch an xvid show just about).

Games can be burned to disc and if you are talking about media playing XBMC supports just about every streaming/network sharing protocol going (most people just use SMB but it has others).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water