Hardware What do I need to fix my XL?

FlyingRaisins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as the title says.
Long story short, my 3DS XL is kind of broken.
The top screen isn't showing anything but a black screen now. The speakers still emit sound and it lights up but it only shows black now. It's hanging by the left hinge as the right one broke.
Everything else including the touch screen work perfectly.
I wanna know what I need to fix it.
I'm already getting another shell to replace the old one.
I want to know if it's the usual ribbon cable that I should just get to replace or something else extra to fix this?
Also exactly what screwdrivers would I need for a procedure like this?
I'm confident enough to do this as I've taken apart many systems myself before but I just need to know the specifics and am hoping you all know.
Thank you in advance for those who help
Here's a pic of said XL http://imgur.com/Gy5gRUA

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly your image is super blurry, but I would imagine is was the ribbon, if you're already getting another shell I would splash out a little and get another top screen as well. obviously can't say for certain from a blurry screen shot and a bit of information. I dont have an XL but I imagine it would be triwing screwdriver like most nintendo products

EDIT. I was wrong
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo 3DS XL Upper LED Replacement/25070

Tools

• Phillips #000 Screwdriver
  • Plastic Opening Tools
  • Spudger
  • Tweezers

Reactions: SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you've tested both the camera and WiFi and confirmed both still work, the only things you'll need to replace are the housing and the upper screen. No need to replace the speaker cable. Your current speaker cable appears to be good.

Be sure that when rolling up the speaker, LCD, and camera cables to route them through the hinge you do so in the correct order. Otherwise they won't reach far enough when you reassemble and could even become damaged. If you roll them all up together, the LCD ribbon cable should be the innermost, followed by the camera cable, and then the speaker cable, which should be the outermost of the three.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...