Homebrew What do I do with freeShop games now?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't seem right at all, there's no reason for the 3DS to get a new ID0 by just swapping SD cards. The only way would be a system format
i have always had to initialize a new sd card before copying my old sd to it or else it would refuse to read said files and reinitialize at which time i would need do exactly what @ThoD said . . .

Reactions: ThoD

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't seem right at all, there's no reason for the 3DS to get a new ID0 by just swapping SD cards. The only way would be a system format
i have always had to initialize a new sd card before copying my old sd to it or else it would refuse to read said files and reinitialize at which time i would need do exactly what @ThoD said . . .

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Who said anything about ID0?:/ The first folder inside the "Nintendo 3DS" one is the ID0, the folder inside that one is a randomly generated name for each new SD card, thought it was obvious I wasn't talking about the first folder and about the second instead.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Who said anything about ID0?:/ The first folder inside the "Nintendo 3DS" one is the ID0, the folder inside that one is a randomly generated name for each new SD card, thought it was obvious I wasn't talking about the first folder and about the second instead.
No, the folder inside the ID0 is the ID1, and while it's true that the filename is generated from the SD card CID, moving the files from the old SD to the new one is the proper method. Yours is probably an edge case

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No, the folder inside the ID0 is the ID1, and while it's true that the filename is generated from the SD card CID, moving the files from the old SD to the new one is the proper method. Yours is probably an edge case
No to what? Can't just say no then prove me right:P The card needs initialization to work properly, the 3DS is more than capable of formatting the SD card natively, no need for manual formatting, even with large SD cards, and much lower risk of any sort of issues happening later down the line. Always initialize cards, not just on the 3DS, on all devices, manually formatting can actually result in issues. You can move the files just like that, but it's VERY likely they will be unreadable, so better do it properly. Nintendo doesn't take this into consideration because they are suggesting you use an approved application to pre-format the SD card manually, skipping initialization but that, again, has risks.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi I've downloaded around 150 games (120GB) via freeShop, 2 weeks before the update that destroyed it, after the update I've unistalled freeShop and turned off the wifi, now I'm planning on updating the 3DS to the newest firmware but I've 2 question before doing it:
1- What will happen to the homebrew, do I need to reinstall it from 0 or something else (first time updating the console after I've an homebrew)
2- The games I've downloaded via freeShop are safe to use online like I did before, after updating the firmware, or should I remove them all and just keep the saves?
3- I found some sites that have CIAs but they don't have all the updates and DLCs, where can I find them?
Thanks guys sorry if they were already asked but I can't find the answer to all of them.
You can still get updates from CDN actually (or just get them from eShop)
The exception to that is eShop only titles, as they don't have the update separate from the game itself.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No to what?
It's pretty clear what I was referring to

The card needs initialization to work properly, the 3DS is more than capable of formatting the SD card natively, no need for manual formatting, even with large SD cards,

No, the 3DS isn't capable of formatting SD cards. If you buy an SD card that's ≥64GB, which come pre-formatted with exFat, the 3DS isn't able to read it at all. If the card is smaller, then it's already pre-formatted in FAT32, and it's plug and play.

Always initialize cards, not just on the 3DS, on all devices, manually formatting can actually result in issues.
On the contrary, formatting SD cards often solves issues. I can't tell you how many times people have had issues while installing B9S/Luma which were solved by backing up the fines, formatting the card with guiformat and placing everything back

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's pretty clear what I was referring to

No, the 3DS isn't capable of formatting SD cards. If you buy an SD card that's ≥64GB, which come pre-formatted with exFat, the 3DS isn't able to read it at all. If the card is smaller, then it's already pre-formatted in FAT32, and it's plug and play.

On the contrary, formatting SD cards often solves issues. I can't tell you how many times people have had issues while installing B9S/Luma which were solved by backing up the fines, formatting the card with guiformat and placing everything back
The 3DS IS capable of formatting SD cards in my experience, as I've used 5 128GB and 3 64GB brand new cards and they were automatically changed to FAT32 during initialization and even the cluster size was set correctly, never had any issues either. And issues come from OLD cards, not new ones, formatting fixes already existing issues, but it can't prevent them.

KyoIsHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
THIS is wrong, it's not copy paste, you have to do an extra step or all your titles are inaccessible.
I always moved my files when I changed sd cards without doing anything to them before but I never lost anything due to it. I think just the Nintendo 3DS folder needs to be the same

EDIT: but it might be because they were all smaller than 32 GB

Last edited by KyoIsHacking,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: