What do I do with freeShop games now?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Senecta, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Senecta
    OP

Senecta Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Italy
    Hi I've downloaded around 150 games (120GB) via freeShop, 2 weeks before the update that destroyed it, after the update I've unistalled freeShop and turned off the wifi, now I'm planning on updating the 3DS to the newest firmware but I've 2 question before doing it:
    1- What will happen to the homebrew, do I need to reinstall it from 0 or something else (first time updating the console after I've an homebrew)
    2- The games I've downloaded via freeShop are safe to use online like I did before, after updating the firmware, or should I remove them all and just keep the saves?
    3- I found some sites that have CIAs but they don't have all the updates and DLCs, where can I find them?
    Thanks guys sorry if they were already asked but I can't find the answer to all of them.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    1: You don't need to reinstall them. Nintendo made changes on their servers that block freeShop (and other applications like it) from using unlicensed tickets to download games. This does not effect games already installed on your system.
    2: You are completely safe going online with games you've downloaded via freeShop and or installed via CIAs.
    3: Can't tell you that, it's against Temp rules. You need to find them own.

3. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Updating affects NOTHING about installed titles, it's always 100% perfectly safe to update as long as you have b9s/a9lh (basically CFW). The games aren't affected whatsoever either and are safe to use too. As for the CIAs, if you already have them installed, just dump them yourself from your console to reinstall whenever you want to, so all in all just use the system normally, nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Ninjaed:ninja:

HinaNaru Cutie likes this.
  4. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker 8 Bit Natsumi

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    does anybody have the update as a usable file as my 3ds wont update and i lost the use of system settings.

5. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    How did that happen?

6. WiikeyHacker

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    i deleted a file that had 000004000 and some other numbers all in red as well as cleaning up my sd card now each time i try to go to the system settings the system crashes i have managed to get the latest luma cfw but despite all that i cant access the system settings

7. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Why did you do that?
    Can you boot into recovery mode (A+R+L+Up while powering on)?

Last edited by zacchi4k, Oct 8, 2018
    HinaNaru Cutie and AmandaRose like this.
  8. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Turn on the 3ds while holding A+R+L+Up(DPad) to eneter recovery mode you will then have the option to update the system.

WiikeyHacker and zacchi4k like this.
  9. WiikeyHacker

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    Thank you so much

AmandaRose likes this.
  10. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Guess it worked then lol.

11. WiikeyHacker

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    It did, thank you so much.

12. Senecta
    OP

Senecta Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Italy
    Guys sorry to bother you all again, I have one last question, I filled my microsd completly so I need a bigger one, but if I directly cut and paste everything from it in the new one (games installed via freeShop and homebrew things) does it breaks or nothing changes? thanks again!

13. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    You can simply copy and paste, but if the new SD card is bigger than 32GB, you need to format it with guiformat first

14. MushGuy

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    You can still download updates and DLC, at least through Villain3DS. Now you only need to install them with FBI.

15. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Updates can also be downloaded from the eShop

16. Senecta
    OP

Senecta Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you all guys for the fast replies and helpful informations, I hope that someone clueless like me will find this helpful too!

17. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    THIS is wrong, it's not copy paste, you have to do an extra step or all your titles are inaccessible.

First up, initialize the card (put it in the 3DS just like that), that will create the folder structure, specifically the "Nintendo 3DS" folder which is where titles are saved. Then copy and paste everything EXCEPT for the "Nintendo 3DS" folder from the old SD card to the new one. Then go to "Nintendo 3DS" on both old and new, you will see a folder with a 32 character name, open that up and you will see that the old and new SD cards each have a DIFFERENT folder inside, with another 32 characters long name but it's different. Every time you use a different SD card a new folder is created in there, so just copy the CONTENTS from that folder from the old to the new SD card (eg: titles, dsiware, etc.), if you don't do this all your stuff won't show up.

Senecta likes this.
  18. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    AFAIK that only applies when doing a system format. I upgraded my New 3DS XL from 64 GB to 128 GB some months ago and all I had to do was move the files over.

Namesnipe and zacchi4k like this.
  19. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Depends on whether it's a brand new SD card or not and whether it's already formatted as EXACTLY the same as the last one used. Changing brands also makes new folders appear in my experience. Out of 11 times I've changed SD cards, they have literally all needed this step.

20. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    That doesn't seem right at all, there's no reason for the 3DS to get a new ID0 by just swapping SD cards. The only way would be a system format