What CFW should I use?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by VashTS, Jun 28, 2011.

Jun 28, 2011

What CFW should I use? by VashTS at 6:03 AM (2,592 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. VashTS
    OP

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    Just got my PSP up and running. I'm not asking "what is the bestest CFW !!", what I want to know is what you use and why you use it. That would help me better gauge what firmware I want. I'm currently on 5.5 prom2. I don't know if I will be playing a newer games as I don't know what is even out for PSP anymore. Guess I'll have to look next time I'm in walmart.

I'm not a psp noob either, been messing with them since around 2007-ish. Just haven't booted mine in a while as it needed a solder job and I've been too lazy until tonight.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I use the latest 6.20 PRO firmware.

Only because TN (not sure about the latest update) doesn't include drivers so you need to use Prom Loader or ISO_Tool to load games.
    Plays all my games fine, I don't play obscure PS1 converted games so I don't need to worry about any of them not working (PSNPSX games is all I need).

Only homebrew I use is GBA & SNES emulators and Cave Story.

Anything older than 6.20 is considered outdated now, everyone seems to be forgetting about GEN and M33 (except from a few people that will probably reply to this)

4. MrGizMo

Member MrGizMo GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    lol found my phat psp, still has 5.50-GEN-B on it [​IMG]

5. natkoden

Member natkoden Not a New Member

Argentina
    6.39 Pro B-7 hands down

6. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    5.50 Prome-4 has yet to give me any issues (outside of freezing FFIV cut scenes that are fixed with ISO Tool patching). If you don't want to do a lot of work downgrading and the like, I would suggest making the upgrade to Prome-4. At this point, bragging about the compatibility in 6.20 CFW is pointless, as everything works in older CFW's too without any extra work, plus, PSX compatibility and plug in compatibility is better.

I have yet to understand all the love for the 6.20 CFW except that maybe people like higher numbers more.

7. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It may be because it is a higher firmware but if OP does not use a lot of plugins and does not make his own PS1 eboots, then why should he not upgrade?

5.00/5.50 is outdated now, once PRO gets it's own version of popsloader, then it will be complete.
    Also staying on 5.50 Prom-4 is making his saves at risk because if at one point he does need to upgrade, some might be corrupt. Better to upgrade now then later, right?

8. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    There's no need to upgrade though. What advantages are there to upgrading when everything works better beforehand?

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    PRO is faster than 5.50
    PRO is natively PSN ready
    PRO is still being developed
    PRO doesn't have issues with the PSN FF VIII
    PRO can be installed as a temp firmware, useful for PSP's in shared situations
    PRO has no relation to GEN firmware.

10. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Unless PRO moves at hyper speed, I have a hard time believing that it's faster than the likes of 5.50 Prome-4, or at the very least, the speed upgrade isn't all that noticeable.
    PSN is unimportant for the pirate. If you want PSN, don't pirate. If you're installing CFW, I highly doubt you're doing it for just the homebrew anyways. There are barely any online PSP titles too. Hardly worth it.
    5.50 Prome-4 doesn't need to be developed further. It works perfectly.
    FFVIII is a single title. Is one title working worth another 30 not working?
    When are PSP's in shared situations? I have yet to find one person who is willing to be separated from their PSP, as they're afraid the person will break it or fuck something up. The PSP isn't exactly a family hand held either.
    The bottom one doesn't really even matter. Relation or no relation, who would care?

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I have 11 pieces of homebrew and 3 PSP games on my memory stick... and 1.8 gigs free, so it's not like I have a small amount of games due to lack of space. [​IMG]

Just because YOU have a black and white view of this does not mean that's how the world works.

12. xist

United Kingdom
    But that's the point...i give you some reasons which make PRO better and you say they're not valid for you, yet you're using a firmware version that's inferior to the 5.00M33-6 Prometheus....so you've seemingly upgraded to 5.50 despite everything working better beforehand (on the 5.00M33 Prometheus patched firmware).

Of all the firmwares in use today, 5.50 anything doesn't really cut it.

13. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    I use 5.50 Gen-D3 with Prometheus 4 because 5.XX firmwares have better plugin and psx game support.

14. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    My phat PSP has 1.5...... broken icons and all!

Thus this thread has a lot of value to me [​IMG]

15. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    If Prome-4 works better than PRO, but an even lower firmware works better than that, then you have just proved my point. 6.20 PRO shouldn't be suggested above older firmwares that are better, yet it is consistently for what I can see as absolutely no good reason at this point. A speed upgrade in 6.20 is all I can see over older CFW, but that older CFW gives you a lot more compatibility wise in all respects. I've also just never bothered to downgrade my PSP. Doesn't mean I wouldn't, just means I'm lazy. It can take me days to throw on a game for an emulator, or a piece of homebrew. Going through the work to downgrade my firmware isn't gonna happen unless I get really motivated.

5.50 anything does still cut it, and is still used by many. I just find it odd that when people with say, 5.50 Prome-4, ask for an upgrade, they are offered a downgrade with a higher number.

16. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    What's the phrase I'm looking for...

If you're fine on the fw you're on, then you don't need to upgrade unless it's total necessary. I've been on 5.00 M33 ( with the Prom 3 addon I think...maybe 4.) for almost 2 years now. I've never had any problems with it, it does what I need it to do, so why upgrade?

17. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE END OF THE THREAD.

They are facts. Why argue with facts? Nowadays PRO is the easy firmware to install, and the easy firmware to work with. 5.00 M33 Prome is not because of the need to patch games (I KNOW damn well not all new games work without any fixes) and people new to the scene most likely won't have need for ancient plugins (nost stuff people ACTUALLY use has been converted).

Also, the fact OP's saves could be corrupted upon update (if he decides to do so) is reason enough to warrant 6.20. That is most likely my biggest (and only real) gripe with 5.XX nowadays; noobs deleting their save data updating and not knowing how or why.

The scene has changed, it's time to get with it Bro.

By the way, PRO's memory stick speedup is VERY noticeable. Comparing Fatmsmod and PRO's speed is not even a thing; PRO is almost twice as fast as that.

@ Kirbyboy: It's not that somebody NEEDS to upgrade; it's that there is more ease of use and accessibility with PRO. Nitive online support (no hacks, plugins, etc. needed) and running clean games (no need to patch or mod eboots or sign shit) are fair enough reasons to recommend PRO, if you ask me. TRUST ME, I was hesitant to switch over at first too, but like everything in life, you gotta take the dive and learn what's what for real at some point.

18. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States

The only thing I haven't had ease of use with was psn, but I never really use it really used it on my psp. And every game I've played has never had any problems. Even the newer games.

But it's not like I haven't thought of going to 6.20. It's just some things I like in 5.00 M33 are not in Pro.

19. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    The facts aren't all that great. One game working, okay. Ready to access PSN? I've already given a few reasons why that doesn't matter for the majority of people who softmod their PSP. The only other one in that list that really matters is the whole still being developed thing, and that's because it is still worse than older CFW.

Also, yes, every newer game I have used (Bar FFIV and those freezing cut-scenes) has worked flawlessly. Not one has given me an issue because it couldn't boot or anything like that. As I've said before, game compatibility is not better. I still have no clue why people continue to say that, when it is clearly not true.

My PSP moves pretty damn fast already. The boot time for most games is only a couple of seconds (PSX EBOOT's take a little longer). Like I said, unless it's moving at hyper speed, or your memory card was/is fairly slow beforehand, I'm fairly positive the difference won't be big enough to warrant the loss of compatibility. As for the saves, if an update isn't necessary, you don't lose any saves. If I'm not mistaken, there is a utility or two out there that can rescue your saves too if you do decide to "upgrade."

All I can hear is that apparently newer is better. Kind of like Apple products. There may not really be any upgrades, but damn if that higher version number isn't going to be enough to get thousands of people to use it.

20. xist

United Kingdom
    Why are you on 5.50 rather than 5.00 then? By your reasoning 5.50GEN+Prome is inferior to 5.00M33+Prome, so why use it? You can't argue that it's pointless to update to PRO firmware and then sit on a firmware that's inferior to it's predecessor.

The simple fact is that most people who rally against the new firmwares have never tried them. There are legit reasons to use M33 and PRO...5.50 lacks those reasons.