Gaming What are the most disappointed DS games you've played?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rabbi Nevins said:
Zelda phantom hourglass/spirit tracks. Ive beaten every zelda game 20+ times except these two. Such extreme disappointments. Controls were god awful. It was such a big disappointment because before those, nintendo only had released one portable zelda game: links awakening. Its a sad day when capcom is better at producing zelda games then nintendo :'(

Oh and how can someone not like phoenix wright? That game is too good

I agree with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Definitely the worst Zelda games since Zelda II. Considering the high standards that past handheld Zelda titles have held, they were major disappointments.

I didn't like Phoenix Wright at all. The narrative was so boring, the characters were dumb, and trying to use any actual logic in the courtroom was impossible. The game basically as just "LOOK AT THESE QUIRKY CHARACTERS!" and hoped I'd be amused enough by that. I wasn't.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just remembered one game I had waited forever for and had countless delays, but that was C.O.R.E. So sad how bad it was with all the delays and all the time they had to work on it. I really had so much hope for that game to be great.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
basher11 said:
i personally didn't like chrono trigger. it just didn't appeal to me.

In all seriousness, the game is great, but it does take a while for the action to pick up. And when it does, the player might already be burnt out.

machomuu said:
QUOTE(RNorthex @ May 22 2011, 09:14 PM) yoshi's island ds probably
-terrible music
-annoying gameplay
-barely better graphics
-idiotic baby system
-annoying use of 2 screens
-difficulty is based on unfair stuffs
I take it you didn't like the original either?

In his defense, the original was A LOT better than the DS version. The DS version.. was.. well... just annoying to play and wasn't fun. It's more of a chore than anything.

it is actually fun and i say it's a good game
but the original was a masterpiece [made me draw yoshis for 2 whole months in school xD] and i never raise my standards to sequels and other games in the series, but compared to the original one, this was a definite downer for me

about the graphics, the animation on yoshi looks way better for example, but i can honestly say, that anything else, especially the backgrounds and environments look much worse on the ds
in the snes version you had nights, sunsets, snowy-cloudy weathers, busy forest and jungles, rainy dungeons and stuff
on the ds version you just get some rain, a little sunset etc and apart from that, most stages look very dry, boring and uninteresting
it doesn't help that the music is just basically a shephards' flute[which i actually love] and maybe a little beat and that's it

it's like going back from a colour tv to a black and white one
the ds and snes version perfectly demonstrate that better system performance won't make better graphics

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Rabbi Nevins said:
Zelda phantom hourglass/spirit tracks. Ive beaten every zelda game 20+ times except these two. Such extreme disappointments. Controls were god awful. It was such a big disappointment because before those, nintendo only had released one portable zelda game: links awakening. Its a sad day when capcom is better at producing zelda games then nintendo :'(

I agree with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Definitely the worst Zelda games since Zelda II. Considering the high standards that past handheld Zelda titles have held, they were major disappointments.

I didn't like Phoenix Wright at all. The narrative was so boring, the characters were dumb, and trying to use any actual logic in the courtroom was impossible. The game basically as just "LOOK AT THESE QUIRKY CHARACTERS!" and hoped I'd be amused enough by that. I wasn't.
Actually a lot of people liked Zelda II, including me. It's not that bad of a game, really, I definitely like it more than the DS titles.

Also, to the latter part, why do I that was directed towards me?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Actually a lot of people liked Zelda II, including me. It's not that bad of a game, really, I definitely like it more than the DS titles.

Still, I'm sure most Zelda fans wouldn't hold it up over any other Zelda title.

I wasn't directing it at you, I've always felt that way about Phoenix Wright.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Rabbi Nevins said:

i liked zelda 2 too, was a bit awkward, but an ok game nevertheless
imo ph was great, but it didn't really made me play spirit tracks

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
machomuu said:

I wasn't directing it at you, I've always felt that way about Phoenix Wright.
You're gonna make me cry
sad.gif

No wait...I'm over it.

yikkyon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody remember Yoshi Touch and Go? I don't know what that game was trying to be but it wasn't the game I thought it was.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A Gay Little Catboy said:
I just remembered one game I had waited forever for and had countless delays, but that was C.O.R.E. So sad how bad it was with all the delays and all the time they had to work on it. I really had so much hope for that game to be great.

Was that that Doom-esque type game? If so, I agree. I thought it was just me and the game was actually good. It was horrible.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ShadowSoldier said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:

Was that that Doom-esque type game? If so, I agree. I thought it was just me and the game was actually good. It was horrible.
It was more of a Quake-esque game
This is the gameplay
[youtube]0sL6yxuwBiQ[/youtube]
Quake DS was better

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
machomuu said:

Still, I'm sure most Zelda fans wouldn't hold it up over any other Zelda title.

Zelda II beats the CD-i games + Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass by miles.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
choconado said:
Not a big disappointment, but after the added touch screen features for the last case in the first Phoenix Wright game, the utter lack of the same in the sequels felt like wasted potential.

Actually, the first 3 PW games were on GBA before they were ported and to the DS, with that last case being the only one which was made after the original release. So they couldn't add touch-screen functionality to the next ones as it would require retconning in extra dialog and changing the puzzles- which I think would have screwed with the continuity of the series too.

Toki~

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Few things first:
1) I didn't buy my DS for Pokemon, i brought it for Zelda PH.
2) Chrono Trigger for the DS also isn't an amazing game in my opinion. (I can see why people like it but it was a bit meh for me).
3) PW games aren't everyones cup of tea i guess but i must admit i do enjoy them =P

The game that's dissapointed me recently - LEGO Pirates of the Carribean, it's just too easy and after playing LEGO Harry Potter i was expecting a bit more from Pirates (Is it just me or do the videos lack the same quality as the harry potter ones?).Oh and Ragnarok for the DS was a bit of a dissapointment, i never made it through the whole game due to waaay too much dialog.

joshstyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all the ds zeldas
4th gen pokemon
harvest moons (except rune factory)
most of the FPS (moon,etc)
kirby games too

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fearofshorts said:
choconado said:
Not a big disappointment, but after the added touch screen features for the last case in the first Phoenix Wright game, the utter lack of the same in the sequels felt like wasted potential.

Actually, the first 3 PW games were on GBA before they were ported and to the DS, with that last case being the only one which was made after the original release. So they couldn't add touch-screen functionality to the next ones as it would require retconning in extra dialog and changing the puzzles- which I think would have screwed with the continuity of the series too.

I know that. Notice the "Added" part of my post. I'm saying they should have at least have an added case/trial to the other two games too.

Also, I agree about the Zelda DS games. PH took a LONG time for me to get into because of the lack of proper controls (I've been tempted to use the d-pad hack, but for some reason I can't explain, the idea of needing a hack just to play the game properly seems in and of itself asinine to me), which has led to ST sitting on my card unplayed with a "I'll get to it one of these days" in my head. Don't get me wrong, I LIKED PH. But it was too awkward. On the other hand, I almost feel crippled playing zelda games I can't write notes on the map for now. Add to that the great functionality of several of the items with the touch-screen features, and you see just how good the game should have been.

Oh, and Rabbi Nevins, you say that Link's Awakening is the only other portable Zelda...I don't know where you've been but you're missing out on all three capcom developed games--Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages (Game Boy Color--with a password trading system that creates one voltron-esque combo-mega-game if you play one then the other in succession) and The Minish Cap (Game Boy Advance) All of which are good, though The Minish Cap is too short.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrels.
I had hoped it's a fun classic ARPG... But it feels clunky, the 3D environments look crap, the characters are emo bitches and the voice-overs are horrible.

Radiant Historia.
Too much dialogue, the city looks bland and is confusing.
I think the problem is that there was too much hype. Because it's not THAT bad after all - but still disappointing.

There are games that disappointed more than these, but I'm sticking to the current year.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cosmiccow said:
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrels.
I had hoped it's a fun classic ARPG... But it feels clunky, the 3D environments look crap, the characters are emo bitches and the voice-overs are horrible.
yeah I found that remake a bunch of crap too!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1