Hacking Wester Digital Passport, 150GB

darkdenizen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently trying to make this work with configurable usb loader but it just won't mount. I can get it to work with SD cards and things but I'd rather use the HDD. I'm plugging it in on the USB port closest to the edge, I don't know whats wrong. Is it just because its incompatible? I looked up a compatiblity list and could never find it saying working or not. Its just never on the lists. Granted, this is an old HDD.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've successfully used a WD passport 160gb and 250gb. They were both this style:
wd%20passport.jpg

Both had a single FAT32 partition.

darkdenizen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it. I partitioned it to FAT32 and I can't put any games on them because they are all over 4GBs and the other partition which is supposed to be WBFS shows up as RAW on the disk manager and either way can't be read.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plug it into a computer and format with a WBFS Manager (I use this one)

After you have formatted your hard drive plug it into your Wii and see if the problem still exists.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkdenizen said:
I don't get it. I partitioned it to FAT32 and I can't put any games on them because they are all over 4GBs and the other partition which is supposed to be WBFS shows up as RAW on the disk manager and either way can't be read.
Use WiiScrubber.
After you have loaded the ISO in WiiScrubber click the button labeled "Scrub".
This will reduce the file size of the game significantly.

Edit: I think you have to convert the ISO files to WBFS. I don't use a fat32 hard drive so someone else can explain.

darkdenizen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked the CFG USB Loader topic on this site and am going to try if it mounts as a NTSF partition. It says it could as long as I do this
Q: I have copied the .iso/.wbfs files to my usb drive but the loader doesn't see them?
A: The files have to be copied to the \wbfs folder on the FAT/NTFS partition.
These filename layouts are supported:
D:\wbfs\GAMEID.wbfs
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID].wbfs
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.wbfs
D:\wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.wbfs
Same for .iso:
D:\wbfs\GAMEID.iso
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID].iso
D:\wbfs\Title [GAMEID]\GAMEID.iso
D:\wbfs\GAMEID_Title\GAMEID.iso

EDIT: I did that and nothing still....it does the countdown to mount and tellsme to restart. And all I see is my HDD blinking and making a periodic sound as it its trying to connect.

darkdenizen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
harmor said:

After you have formatted your hard drive plug it into your Wii and see if the problem still exists.

I'm going to do this now. Do I need to make the iso files into wbfs?

EDIT: I'm pissed....nothing seems to be working, no loader even detects my HDD. And it just sits there blinking over and over again. I don't think its even compatible. I'm about to just buy a really big SDHC card and call it a day.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkdenizen said:
harmor said:

I'm going to do this now. Do I need to make the iso files into wbfs?

EDIT: I'm pissed....nothing seems to be working, no loader even detects my HDD. And it just sits there blinking over and over again. I don't think its even compatible. I'm about to just buy a really big SDHC card and call it a day.
Buying a 32gb sd card just for games is a stupid idea.
You can buy a new hard drive with a lot more capacity for the price of the sd card.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Wii Backup Manager

Use that to format the whole drive to FAT32.

Backup, then format your SD card. Just put the usb loader gx boot.dol in sd:\apps\usbloader\boot.dol (this way you know it will create the cfg files from scratch with nothing in there that will screw it up).

Use Wii Backup Manager to put ISOs on the WD Passport (It will convert them to .wbfs files and split them if they are > 4gb. Very few are once they are scrubbed).

Note: You can't load .iso with any usb loaders (as far as I know). sorry, it appears that was bollocks!

Then start usb loader gx. It should get you to select a partition. If it code dumps, go to the sd card and find the usb loader gx cfg file and edit it so that it reads "partition=0" (I had problems where it was setting it to 255 and -1 ??

darkdenizen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I did what you said and usbloadergx says no usb device detected. and now the configurable usb loader says custom IOS 222 could not be loaded! (-1)

EDIT: Went to install that IOS and tried cfg usb loader again and this time it attempts to mount (currently frozen on 3....I'm going to leave it for a minute and see what happens if not I'll just reset)with the disk drive on my Wii lit up blue. Never seen that before. Either way, usbloadergx doesn't detect it at all.

The only thing working now is my 8GB microSD on a usb adapter on the back of my Wii running in CFG USB loader. This runs everything fine. But I really want to use this HDD for the space.

EDIT2: Okay. I tried doing everything I did to the mircoSD to the HDD and I THINK I have it running now! I'll come back and post what happened but in the meantime, Thanks to all who contributed! You really did help.

NVM....once I loaded the rest of my games on the HDD it went back to the mounting countdown and all that crap.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I had to that too. I would have mentioned it, but... 1) I forgot, and 2) I forgot because I just put it down to the cable being knackered.

Glad you got it sorted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL