External Harddrives that Don't Require a Y-Cable

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
I use a 1tb kingston ssd £35 (scan or cclonline) with a nice all white usb eclosure for £7 (ebay) and it all works fine, I can post links on here if anyone wants direct links and its allowed to post ecternal links.
Actually, I guess, it would be great! Specifically - disk drive model (exact), enclosure model (as much information as possible).

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just last night, I was copying files to my fresh 2TB Western Digital, and even though I've done it hundreds of times, this time I did something different which was make a copy of a file on the desktop at the same time as transferring another file to the hard drive. While this was happening, the fresh 2TB Western Digital made one, quite loud, metal sounding "click" noise. Almost like a sound you would need a metal spoon to produce. I stopped copying the file on the desktop but kept the drive going, and it didn't do it again. When the file on the drive had finished, I ran a Disc Check. It said something like Windows Cannot Scan the Drive, close this and try again, then I scanned it and it said it had been scanned and repaired. Then I checked the folders and it had no files in Found.000, so, no file loss. Is this hard drive safe to use or should I consider it about to die?
The hard drive would not be damaged by trying to copy multiple files at the same time. This is an extremely common situation, and the drive's controller will just queue up the transfer. The fact you heard a click at the same time is sheer coincidence.

Download CrystalDiskInfo and use it to check the drive's SMART status. If all is good, make backups of the data and baby the drive for a month. If it's fine during that period, then it should be good for a long time.
If SMART says it's dead, then it's dead.

BigJon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: k0walski

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania

BigJon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, mine works spot on with no issues at all. SSD's don't draw much power as they have no mechanical parts. I was tempted to get a 2tb one but i don think I can fill a 1tb drive let alone a 2tb one :D

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I must report:

Buffalo Ministation 1TB HDD (HD-PNT1.0U3R) from 2013:
Works great. (This Shock-Proof Portable HDD has a WD HDD inside)

WD My Passport ULTRA 2TB from 2016:
Works great

Toshiba Canvio 1TB from 2012:
Works great.

All of them with a single USB cable directly connected to the WII.

All of these are USB 2 and 3 compatible. The Canvio for example will glow blue if USB3 or white if USB2.

zebragreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I must report:

Buffalo Ministation 1TB HDD (HD-PNT1.0U3R) from 2013:
Works great. (This Shock-Proof Portable HDD has a WD HDD inside)

WD My Passport ULTRA 2TB from 2016:
Works great

Toshiba Canvio 1TB from 2012:
Works great.

All of them with a single USB cable directly connected to the WII.

All of these are USB 2 and 3 compatible. The Canvio for example will glow blue if USB3 or white if USB2.
Thanks for this and thanks @k0walski for helping me out in this thread, telling me whether or not things match power consumption.

I was going to go with the Western Digital 1TB since I can get it locally, but, since hearing this post above, hearing that the 2TB from 2016 worked, yet my 2TB purchased now doesn't, makes me think there has been a change in their power consumption, and maybe the 1TB Western Digital won't work purchased today.

So, I'm going to try this one out instead, thanks so much for the recommendation and links:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto