Homebrew Well, I'm gonna try to make something.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have seen quite a few text editors for the DS. None of them have really come up to being good for on the run writing.

Where I want to take this project for starters is:

1) Basic keyboard
2) Basic saving and loading of .txt files
3) Basic hand writing recognition

Planned features for the future:

1) Customizable keyboard with support for obscure characters, and ASCii characters.
2) More supported files (Such as .rtf)
3) Accurate handwriting recognition
4) Extra font support
5) Integrated sketchbook and image saving
6) Viable text reader
7) Possibly a file server for distribution of work

Planned features may take a while to learn and successfully implement, but I may be able to whip together something that would work well in a couple weeks. I'll also be looking into implementing this into the DSi scene as well. If this works out well enough in the first few releases, I may be able to enter the HB bounty.

I'm going to need some recommendations on how to get started with keeping compatibility on flashcards. If you guys also know of any open source DS text editors that I could study, I would love a link to the code. Also the author's name and such for proper credit if I have a need to reuse some code

Since I will be implementing handwriting, I plan to have in a later release a calibration system. When activated, it prompts the user to write the 26 letters of the alphabet and it saves the images into a custom writing palette.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This is one thing I've always wanted - instead of having to use moonshells textEdit, or DSOrganise... a standalone TXT editor !!!!

Since INI files are basically TXT files - can the first version be compatible with both ??
(say - a file selector that lists 'TXT' and 'INI'files ??)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the keyboard... how basic is "basic" going to be?
If you're going to make it yourself (and not use/borrow a premade keyboard) I would like to suggest you mimic the layout of the HTC as I think it's a great use of space, by having an 'alt' set of keys for numbers/symbols you don't have to cram all the extra keys in which should reduce mis-types by hitting the wrong key.
It would also fulfill a request: http://gbatemp.net/t278726-htc-keyboard-text-editor

Hmm... seems the HTC Keyboard is missing a few symbols: = ` \ [ ] ^ ~ < > | { }
Though you could combine them all into 4 keys and fit them in somewhereCODEN | S | # -- Normal | Shift | Number
--|---|--
` | ~ | ^
\ | | | =
[ | { | <
] | } | >

CannonFoddr said:
This is one thing I've always wanted - instead of having to use moonshells textEdit, or DSOrganise... a standalone TXT editor !!!!

Since INI files are basically TXT files - can the first version be compatible with both ??
(say - a file selector that lists 'TXT' and 'INI'files ??)
Maybe make a config file that has various settings and an entry for "supported" file types that it will open as PlainText?

Synt4x3rror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be really sweet to create and edit text files on the go, I'm looking forward to this
yaynds.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, at least I know there is an interest. The first few releases will have just the plain keyboard. I hope to replace this with a qwerty keyboard with just letters and common punctuation, and numbers and obscure characters on a separate section. Then after I get other stuff perfected, I'll make the keyboard customizable (select the characters and stuff you want on your key board).

Okay guys, I'm having a hard time getting anything to compile. I mean the .nds shows up, but it doesn't show anything but 2 white screens. I have admin privileges, and it makefiles, but it doesn't work. I remember last time I did some basic DS programming I had the same problem, and I found a guide to fix it. That guide seems to be down. Anyone have a definitive guide to set up DevkitPro?

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Argentum Vir said:
Well, at least I know there is an interest. The first few releases will have just the plain keyboard. I hope to replace this with a qwerty keyboard with just letters and common punctuation, and numbers and obscure characters on a separate section. Then after I get other stuff perfected, I'll make the keyboard customizable (select the characters and stuff you want on your key board).

Okay guys, I'm having a hard time getting anything to compile. I mean the .nds shows up, but it doesn't show anything but 2 white screens. I have admin privileges, and it makefiles, but it doesn't work. I remember last time I did some basic DS programming I had the same problem, and I found a guide to fix it. That guide seems to be down. Anyone have a definitive guide to set up DevkitPro?

If it compiles fine, I think your installation is fine. Try to compile the example files and see if they work.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
relminator said:
Argentum Vir said:

If it compiles fine, I think your installation is fine. Try to compile the example files and see if they work.
I actually found a video tut, that not only explained nicely, but made me feel like less of a newb.

Examples are now working correctly, and now I just have to refresh my c++, as I haven't coded it in a while.

EDIT: Compiled a quick test file. http://filetrip.net/f24089-AnotherHelloWor...pp-TEST-01.html
Works for the SCDS2, and I also suppose other auto DLDI carts. Took me a bit to figure this stuff out, but it going nicely. If any of you have a good file creation/saving NDS tut, I will have an entry build in no time.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a pretty good idea, actually. There aren't as many text editors for the Nintendo DS as I thought there would be.
If someone could make a text editor that is at least similar to Word Pad, then I will congratulate you on your success, because most text editors out there that are for the Nintendo DS are either a replica of Notepad or are just text editors that don't even save or load files.

boot2490

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been interested in the same thing for similar reasons. I have an idea for a simpler one, however. I was thinking of finding an extremely simple tutorial grade text editor and porting it to the ds. Can somebody help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    CameronCataclysm @ CameronCataclysm: Why no blog posts about Nitendont going after Garry's Mod repos that have been up for a decade or 2?