Weird SL1 problem

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by mr_jrt, Apr 16, 2013.

Apr 16, 2013

Weird SL1 problem by mr_jrt at 12:53 AM (823 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. mr_jrt
    OP

Newcomer mr_jrt Member

I've flashed a lot of DSes over the years, and not had a single problem until now.

I had to replace my old DS's mobo recently, and whilst I don't really need to install flashme anymore (my old Supercard SD is more novelty now than anything - though comes in handy for REIN), the heath and safety screen annoys me, so I figured I'd get rid of it and get all the other benefits of flashme as well should I ever need them.

So I fire up the flashme 8a installer, it tells me the current firmware is v7 (I'll come back to that), and then I tried shorting SL1. Nope. Nada. Wiggled the screwdriver a bit, and off it goes. I'm well aware of shorting it out and the risk of blowing a fuse, but no, it's fine, so I tried again. And again. And again.

No matter what I tried, it never once got off 0%. I scratched the pads a bit in case the surface had oxidised (my box of spare parts is somewhat old and lives in a cold garage), but no joy.

Ultimately, I got somewhat frustrated and pulled the back cover off my DS, found a couple of vias I could use as handy seating points for my multimeter's probes, and confirmed I was in fact bridging SL1. I was. I also gave the pads a once over with a fibreglass pencil to seal the deal. With much awkward battery fiddling I even reran flashme with the cover off but again, it never got off 0%. I even tried using a resistor (~1.2k ohm IIRC) rather than a simple short, to no avail.

Ultimately it dawned on me I could use my Acekard RPG to boot my old slot 2 card, so I gave up, but I don't like mysteries! :)

Back to the firmware - Interestingly, going by the old wiki article, when I pop a game card out in Pictochat, I get magenta screens, suggesting I have v5 firmware, not v7 (which apparently only came on Mario edition DSes?)...and the host my mobo came from is just a bog standard black one. Bit weird. But definitely isn't already flashed.

2. SoraK05

Member SoraK05 GBAtemp Regular

Kenya
    I took a toothpick and flattened out the tip, putting aluminum foil over it. It has worked for me very easily every time.

3. driverdis

Member driverdis I am Justice

United States
    I used a flathead screwdriver. I had to as i was trying to see if it made good contact and was not 100% sure I wanted to use a screwdriver. but then i got it to say 0% and had to finish it as my ak2i does not like autobooting and did not want to risk taking it apart and relying on it to finish the flash. I do not recommend to flash any ds with a screwdriver.

4. LDAsh

Newcomer LDAsh Advanced Member

Antarctica
    You probably all already know this - but, if you want to simply get rid of the health and safety screen then use the battery trick. Take the battery out for a few minutes to clear the settings, put it back in and adjust your settings, then right at the end instead of pressing A to shut down, just turn it off instead. The settings will keep but no health and safety screen stealing your precious seconds.

5. mr_jrt
    OP

Newcomer mr_jrt Member

I'd never heard that one before...but it didn't work for me? Just prompts me to fill in the details again, but the date and time are as I set them the previous run through.

6. mr_jrt
    OP

Newcomer mr_jrt Member

As for SL1, I always used a security bit to do the job - it fits the hole perfectly and makes great contact with the pads, and has always worked previously. All I can conclude is that the traces must be broken elsewhere somehow, the pads are definitely shorted as evidenced by the multimeter. The bit I use is like the bottom right one shown here:
    [​IMG]

7. mr_jrt
    OP

Newcomer mr_jrt Member

Interesting end result to this. I just discovered the BIOS was on the removable module I assumed was just the wifi, so I tried swapping my module into my old DS mobo and tried flashing it from there - same issue, wouldn't go past 0%. Put my old module in my new DS, and voila, I have Flashme again. Haven't bothered trying to flash it from 8 to 8a as it seems a bit pointless, but there you go. Perhaps it's the module that has the problem, not the SL1 traces.