Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hp-touchpad-hp-pre-3-hp-veer-sous-webos-offic-L-GCo0NK.jpeg

HP has finally decided the fate of webOS today, and it's an open one: the platform will be contributed to the open source community. The company says that it will be an "active participant and investor in the project," and that its ultimate goal here is to accelerate development. In other words, it doesn't want to pump the amount of money into webOS that would be required to make it fully competitive, so it's looking to the public to help make that happen.

Read more : http://www.theverge....n-source-future

Posted from my HP Touchpad under webOS. :P

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apparently HP will still be taking an active role in development to try and prevent the huge fragmentation that occurred with Android happening to Web OS as well. If they are successful in that aim, this could be great. And it could definitely be very good for those that managed to get TouchPads in the fire sale.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indeed. Even if we can install android on the hp touchpad, i'm still loving the webOS.
Hope this move will bring some nice development in the future.

Github opened ! https://github.com/hpwebos

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting. I'd be interested in a fork of Android and WebOS to get the best of both.

Though due to my lack of experience with WebOS, I'm not sure what would come out.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Um what. Wasn't it always open source? From what I knew, it was built using all open source materials, easily accessible with a switch into developer mode.
No it wasn't. It was Linux based, and there was a developer mode, but the majority of the OS was closed source up until now.

I wonder if it'd be possible to port Dalvik into the OS (i.e. add support for Android apps directly into Web OS). That'd be pretty cool. If only I had a TouchPad :P

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um what. Wasn't it always open source? From what I knew, it was built using all open source materials, easily accessible with a switch into developer mode.
No it wasn't. It was Linux based, and there was a developer mode, but the majority of the OS was closed source up until now.

I wonder if it'd be possible to port Dalvik into the OS (i.e. add support for Android apps directly into Web OS). That'd be pretty cool. If only I had a TouchPad :P
Shoot, that's way better than my idea. :D

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Palmdroid was more a dream than a project, but maybe it could revive after the webOS sources get released.

http://forum.xda-dev...9&postcount=168

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool