WD External Hard Drive ISO Loading Help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Anthocyanin, Jul 17, 2011.

Jul 17, 2011
  1. Anthocyanin
    OP

Newcomer Anthocyanin Newbie

United States
    I have already softmodded my Wii, and I've put some Wii ISOs on a WD External Hard Drive. However, when I try to load the ISOs through Configurable USB Loader (It seems like the only one that works for me), it shows:

[*] Booting Wii Game, please wait...

IOS(249)
    IOS Reload: Blocked

Then the Wii freezes. The game works fine on a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, but not on the external hard drive. On the external hard drive, I have two partitions on my external hard drive, an NTFS partition where I put personal file in, and a WBFS partition for Wii ISOs. What should I do? I'm willing to do anything that doesn't include opening the Wii's case.

2. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    As Disasterous said wbfs is pretty much obsolete now. If you insist on using 2 partitions go with a smaller fat32 partition for homebrew apps and a ntfs partition for your games. Otherwise you can go with just 1 partition either fat32 or ntfs with no problems. I've never used multi partitions so I'm not positive on this but I believe you may need to set the partition with the games to primary and active. I know one of the partitions needs to be set to that but I forget which one

3. djc151084

Newcomer djc151084 Member

United Kingdom
    I have a 320GB WD Harddrive, this is how i gotg my set up

I have it partitiond to 2 partitions 1 x 10GB (FAT32) (Set as Primary and Active) , 1 x 280GB (NTFS), All of my games are in .wbfs format and transferd from the origional .ISO with "WiiBackupManager" to my 280GB NTFS partition.
    The 10GB FAT32 partition is just there really because i was installing sneek+DI and fat32 was needed to use that.
    I use CFG Usb Loader and all runs perfectly

4. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    .Iso files will load from either an NTFS or FAT32 partition regardless of size. I personally have no use for an NTFS partition on my softmodded Wii's ext. hdd. as I have no un-.wbfs files over 4GB.

IMHO, an hdd with only a FAT32 formatted partition is the way to go.

If you're having problems formatting a large ext hdd to FAT32, you can either use a 3rd party software to do so or download a copy of PuppyLinux onto a CD-rom and use GParted.

5. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    nope fat32 has a max file size of ~4GiB
    use .wbfs files instead

6. mechadylan

United States
    Yes, there is a max file size of 4GB on a FAT32 formatted storage device. However, a 4+ GB .iso WILL play on a FAT32 ext hdd. Perhaps I should have been more detailed in my response.

7. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    You mean you have a single 4+ GB .iso file stored on a FAT32 formatted drive? How? Surely you are needing more details here...

AFAIK, ISO game images can be compressed but not split. WBFS game images are scrubbed (can be non-scrubbed but no one does this) and can be split... FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, period, no matter what the file is, WBFS, ISO, whatev...

-[]D

8. mechadylan

United States
    No. Of course not. That's impossible. I recently converted some .isos from a WBFS hdd to a FAT32 hdd as .wbfss. I know for a fact that SSMB is over 4GB in size and works on my FAT32 hdd, but quite frankly was never curious until just now as to how it appears in the FAT32 hdd (split, compressed, etc.)

I'll check it out when I get home. Although I'm sure someone here knows and will reply well before that happens. [​IMG]

9. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    .wbfs games >4GB (like SSBB, MPT, M:OM, etc.) are split into two pieces: ID6.wbfs (size=4GB) and ID6.wbf1 (size=whatever is left). the .iso -> .wbfs conversion (and split if necessary) is done automatically by Wii Backup Manager....