ROM Hack WCDPatcher

Rockman GFF

Trophies
Website
shootingstar-rockman.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States

After comparing a Japanese Wonder Card after the Release of Japanese Platinum (took Pokemon Center Eevee). I finally managed to get it to work, 0000014C~D must be 801D (after the FFFFs). And here I thought that address was only for In-Game Distribution.

It's a shame Platinum Pokesav's modification of the Wonder Card didn't work when I tried it. A bit mad at myself for not thinking of comparing a post-Platinum Wonder Card sooner. I did get the Secret Key from Wi-Fi Connection and compared the WC, that value didn't seem to work for that address through Hex Editing.

Just happy I got it working so I don't have to use Pokesav with a more legit method. No problems with the Patcher.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MicShadow said:
Items do work, it simply distributes the wondercards data, which can be anything.

That's great to hear... I'm surprised I didn't look at the Items section on Pokesav's download page before, but the Japanese section has the Wonder Card files for both the Member Card to get Darkrai and the Secret Key (which I assume is a Platinum exclusive item).

QUOTE(Rockman GFF @ Feb 22 2009, 02:16 PM) After comparing a Japanese Wonder Card after the Release of Japanese Platinum (took Pokemon Center Eevee). I finally managed to get it to work, 0000014C~D must be 801D (after the FFFFs). And here I thought that address was only for In-Game Distribution.

So if that's the difference, maybe v1.2 of this patcher could make pre-Platinum Wonder Cards compatible with Platinum? Or is this a modification which should be made to the wonder card file prior to being integrated into the ROM?

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TM2-Megatron said:
MicShadow said:
Items do work, it simply distributes the wondercards data, which can be anything.

That's great to hear... I'm surprised I didn't look at the Items section on Pokesav's download page before, but the Japanese section has the Wonder Card files for both the Member Card to get Darkrai and the Secret Key (which I assume is a Platinum exclusive item).

QUOTE(Rockman GFF @ Feb 22 2009, 02:16 PM) After comparing a Japanese Wonder Card after the Release of Japanese Platinum (took Pokemon Center Eevee). I finally managed to get it to work, 0000014C~D must be 801D (after the FFFFs). And here I thought that address was only for In-Game Distribution.

So if that's the difference, maybe v1.2 of this patcher could make pre-Platinum Wonder Cards compatible with Platinum? Or is this a modification which should be made to the wonder card file prior to being integrated into the ROM?

Interesting... I could build a 'platinum' option that would make that modification quite easily. I was just sorta holding off for the english version. BUT if someone could send me a save of platinum (able to recieve mystery gifts) i could get working on it sooner for the Japanese version.

Development computers currently farked at the moment, so im not sure when i could work on this

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MicShadow said:
EDIT: Version 1.1 out! fixes the 'mystery from space' bug. (The gift id problem)

With the Wonder Card ID problem solved, what exactly is done? Do the wonder cards sent out by the modified ROM have no ID at all (or is that not even possible?), or the same ID as the original Wonder Card the patch integrates?

From what I've read, it's the ID that prevents you from receiving the same Wonder Card twice... so if the patcher created ROMs that sent out Wonder Cards with no IDs, I guess then you'd be able to receive it again after deleting it?

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TM2-Megatron said:
MicShadow said:
EDIT: Version 1.1 out! fixes the 'mystery from space' bug. (The gift id problem)

With the Wonder Card ID problem solved, what exactly is done? Do the wonder cards sent out by the modified ROM have no ID at all (or is that not even possible?), or the same ID as the original Wonder Card the patch integrates?

From what I've read, it's the ID that prevents you from receiving the same Wonder Card twice... so if the patcher created ROMs that sent out Wonder Cards with no IDs, I guess then you'd be able to receive it again after deleting it?

It was the original Deoxys signature that it copies. A very annoying hidden bug. But all fixed now.

You SHOULD be able to distribute all wondercards normally now. You may need to delete the original deoxys one, or modify it in Pokesav to work, im not entirely sure.
Can someone confirm? I dont have a second DS at the moment

Rockman GFF

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Just noting that 801D to 0000014C~D for changing the PGD Wonder Cards and using them on Official English Platinum works successfully.
smile.gif

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you Rockman GFF
smile.gif
that is awesome. Unless anyone finds anymore bugs, i think ill stop development on this. All features work, which is great. Although I may add in custom ROM description. Thanks everyone

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, my CycloDS arrived last Friday, so over the weekend I finally got the chance to use your tool; and it worked perfectly. I made distro ROMs for each of the 15 U.S. event Wonder Cards available for download from the Pokesav database... it's great to finally have these things, as Canada's a Pokeghetto and has never had a single event (for any generation).

And also, I found a pretty easy way to find out (and change) which game versions a Wonder Card can be received to, if people don't want to have to deal with hex editors and whatnot. The Mystery Gift editing section of Pokesav (Platinum version) has an area where you can load a *.PCD file to integrate it into your savegame. However, it has the added benefit of displaying the wonder card's properties/etc. There are checkboxes for Diamond, Pearl and Platinum that can each be checked or not checked... and that will tell you which versions the card can go to (as it was originally distributed). By checking off the empty boxes (if any), resaving the PCD file, and integrating that file into the Deoxys ROM; you can transfer the older Diamond/Pearl Wonder Cards onto Platinum or vice versa. Obviously the only exceptions would be Wonder Cards for items which don't exist in the other version (Rotom's Secret Key in Platinum, for instance, obviously doesn't exist in Diamond/Pearl to get... even if you did check off the D/P boxes in Pokesav).

I had to use the above method to make a Distro ROM for the Japanese Member Card event, as apparently it was set to only download onto Platinum carts when originally distributed over Wi-Fi in Japan (rip-off, lol). It worked great. When working on japanese wonder cards in Pokesav Platinum, though, it's better to reset your regional settings to Japan to avoid any corruption of the text. As expected, once on my Diamond the card's description and text and stuff were all in Japanese, but the item was still the same.

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
Thank you Rockman GFF
smile.gif
that is awesome. Unless anyone finds anymore bugs, i think ill stop development on this. All features work, which is great. Although I may add in custom ROM description. Thanks everyone
Implementing that would be great. Maybe even adding icon changing if that's possible. But definitely ROM description.

Also, what exactly does "New ROM Name" do? I put something in there and didn't notice a change.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, a ROM description would be a great feature to add... currently I have to switch to the file view on my Cyclo, since every distro ROM I've patched have the name "Deoxys Distribution 2008 Nintendo", lol.

QUOTE said:
Also, what exactly does "New ROM Name" do? I put something in there and didn't notice a change.

ROMs seem to have two internal names/descriptions:

examplerom.jpg

The patching tool changes the "Internal Name" field (which doesn't seem to show up anywhere, which is why nobody would really notice it), but not the overall description.

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
The patching tool changes the "Internal Name" field (which doesn't seem to show up anywhere, which is why nobody would really notice it), but not the overall description.
Ah ha. Thank you for that. I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run. Curious why that was added to the patcher, though.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After patching it and running it, the little billboard is blank - is this normal? I don't have another DS to test this.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The distro ROM seems to work normally when emulated in no$gba... at least the usual instructions/text appears on the billboard. I'm not sure about other emulators.

MicShadow said:
As I speak, im finishing coding up the version that has platinum support and ROM description changing. Shouldnt be too long

That's great! I've already used Pokesav to resave new versions of all the wonder card files that were Diamond/Pearl only... and even one or two of the japanese ones that were Platinum only (other than Rotom's secret key, which doesn't exist in Diamond or Pearl to receive). However, it'll be great to be able to change the ROM description.

I'm starting to think Canadian fans (and people in other Pokeghettos that get no events) should make use of the Distro ROM to organize their own events. Up to now, the technique's only been used for pranks (a rather unfortunate one was distributed at the Platinum launch party at the Nintendo store in NY), however it has the potential for some fun if used properly.

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
The new version is out, 1.2 that allows for changing of the ROM description and Platinum support.

Available to download here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5176. I have also updated the first post
Thanks a lot! First to download, but I'm getting an error upon open!

CODEApplication has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process ID=0x2ffc (12284, Thread ID=0x333c (13116).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry about that AlexMoron, one little bit of code that works on my system, but no one elses apparently. No matter, the download link is fixed. Thanks for telling me
biggrin.gif

Rockman GFF

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I can also confirm it's working perfect with English Wonder Cards.

However, the Japanese Wonder Cards seem to not be working with the Platinum Distro Patch. I get that 'Different Version' message on English Platinum. I think '0005DC58~9' in the Distro has to be either 001C or 801D to get them working with Japanese Wonder Cards.

Once I did that, it started accepting it.

In the end though, I'd recommend going 801D like before. That value seemed to be universal with all Game Versions and Regions, 001C only works with English Platinum only I believe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkwLviMVR9E