ROM Hack WCDPatcher

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see what you mean AlexMoron, and I reckon i will add it in. TM2-Megatrons point about confusing the users is something to consider though. I reckon a drop down box set to default to 'All Regions' and have options for the others if you pull the list down would work

And yeah, a GUI for the batch patching is next on the list to do.
By the file in use error, I think it is only you. Mine opens up in my hex editor, as well as the NDS header tool just fine (not with both open of course)

And anyway, all testers of the software, thanks heaps! The crucial testing done by you guys has helped me complete this patcher. Glad to see your enjoying this!

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
I'd say the all-region functionality it should currently have with 801D is about as flexible as you can get. Adding in options for each of the (known) individual region compatibilities would probably only confuse many users.
I agree; having the all-region option is the end-all to patching. I'm just more on about my OCDness in wanting different operating versions of the ROM. Hard to explain exactly, but just having the option to patch whichever value you'd like would be nice for someone, I'm sure.

Speaking of which, are there any other values we don't know about? Like for other regions?

EDIT: Also, I just spent a while patching all of the WCs onto its own ROM and looking through them on my R4, the description didn't change at all. Is this due to the trimming option or is this a bug?

EDIT2: Never mind. This is what you guys were talking about with the all-region description thing. Although, I don't understand why my R4 isn't grabbing the English description.

Rockman GFF

Trophies
Website
shootingstar-rockman.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
AlexMoron said:
I don't understand why my R4 isn't grabbing the English description.The R4 is another one of those Flash Carts that desires using the Japanese Descriptions it seems, no matter which Language you have the Flash Cart set to.

QUOTE(MicShadow @ Mar 28 2009, 03:12 AM) Hey Rockman GFF, if you come by, could you please give some clarification on the version bytes? (like the 00IC, 801D etc)
WC Local Values:
0000 - No Version
0004 - Diamond
0008 - Pearl
0010 - Platinum
0014 - Diamond | Platinum
0018 - Pearl | Platinum
000C - Diamond | Pearl
001C - Diamond | Pearl | Platinum

WC Any Region Values:
8000~1 - No Version
8004~5 - Diamond
8008~9 - Pearl
8010~1 - Platinum
8014~5 - Diamond | Platinum
8018~9 - Pearl | Platinum
800C~D - Diamond | Pearl
801C~D - Diamond | Pearl | Platinum

Just was screwing around with PokeSav and that's what I came up with (changing USA WCs, PR2 WCs, & Post Platinum Japanese WCs [Pokemon Center Eevee] in Mystery Gift Edit), the other values probably need testing like 8005 and 8009, etc just to make sure they work. Will test out later if nobody gets to it before me.
tongue.gif

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That's quite a lot of values... I think it would be redundant (and very confusing for most users unfamiliar with it) to implement all of them. It would be best to stick to the Any Region values for the following choices:

Diamond only
Pearl only
Platinum only
Diamond/Pearl
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

That covers pretty much all the bases... though it could really get away with leaving out the first 2, as I'm not sure the point of making a Wonder Card compatible only with Diamond or Pearl, individually. A platinum only option makes more sense, because there are certain items (eg. the Secret Key) that don't exist in Diamond or Pearl; and Wonder Cards for such items shouldn't be made compatible with those versions.

IMO, it would be a mistake to bother with the region-specific values... I can't really see what it would add to the tool. The Any region values will accomplish the same thing, and allow the ROMs to work on the versions you want, from pretty much anywhere.

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps having all of those choices in a drop-down menu and then a check box for "All-region" to add that 8 in the value. In addition to all of this, though, there should be an "unaffected" option that doesn't change those values from the WC at all.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've also found some different values in the 3 very first Japanese Wonder Cards... Concert Chatot, and the Pokemon Festa Magmar and Electabuzz. They apparently have Platinum compatibility, even though they were issued in 2006.

The Concert Chatot has a value of 00BD, and Pokesav (Platinum version) reads it as Diamond/Pearl/Platinum... the Pokemon Festa Magmar has 00D7, and Pokesav reads it as Diamond/Platinum... and the Festa Electabuzz has 00DA and it reads as Pearl/Platinum. At the time they were given out, though the two Pokemon Festa cards were only reported to work with Diamond (for Magmar) and Pearl (for Electabuzz). The Chatot, obviously, was Diamond/Pearl. And the Pokemon Database still reports these three with their original compatibilities, even though apparently they're also Platinum compatible. All I can assume is that Nintendo switched to different coding for all the later Wonder Cards... who knows if they knew those 3 would be compatible with Platinum when they originally made them, though.

It's basically for that reason I think the final Patcher should really only use the Any Region (eg. 8xxx) values... we'll probably never have a complete documentation of every single value that works with each version in every region. I've just reported 3 new ones in this this posting, but who knows if they're Japan-specific or all region, or whatever. Better to just stick with the 8xxx values that we already know to work on any of the versions in every region. Those are the ones Nintendo of Japan's been going with, and that's good enough for me.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Holy crap thats a lot of values. Thanks heaps Rockman GFF

After seeing that and TM2-Megatrons findings, I think Ill just stick with:

All Games - All Regions
Diamond And Pearl - All Regions
No Change

And also, the batch feature is coming along nicely. I will just add a 'B' button next to patch, that will prompt you to select a directory.
Then, it will use the inputs on the form (distro file etc, with fixing up the new rom location to save to the directory, not overwriting the same file)
And also. macros like '%w' = the wondercard file's name and things like that.

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That sounds great. With the "No Change" option, we're able to patch in whatever value we want which makes it very flexible for those of use who know what we're doing but keeping it simple for those who don't know how/what to hex edit.

Looking forward to this release!

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, those options sound good.

One final thing that might be worth a look, is what's happening when you choose not to change the Internal ROM Name. The program says that it stays as "DEOXYS2008", however from looking at one of the patched ROMs in NDS Header Tool, it looks as if it's actually rendered blank.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry for the lack of updates, the whole program was restructured (behind the scenes) and a few net problems. But fully completed today, heres the link WCDPatcher 1.3

That Internal rom title problem is now fixed.
- Macros are now working, just look at the readme or macro button for the macros

A short rundown on how to use em

Type the macro into a field e.g %w = wondercard file name and it will be converted into the current wondercard you are using. This works in single patch mode and batch patch mode.

e.g. Output file: C:\%w.nds would equal e.g. C:\darkrai-ALAMOS-PKMDB.nds

Batch patching mode added, which means you hit the 'B' button and select a directory with wondercards in it. The patcher then uses the values you have specified on the normal window and also converts macros for each file in the batch. Trying it yourself will probably be easier than me explaining it

You can now add in your own hex values (four letter hex, e.g 014C) into the game version box. Saves having to open hex editor

So yeah, have fun! let me know any problems

AlexMoron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Seems to work great! There are some small nuances that bug me personally, though.
  • After patching, the "Platinum distro patch" option becomes unchecked for some reason having to be rechecked each time.
  • Typing a value in the "Platinum distro patch" box seems to just put an 801D in the value spot of the ROM.
  • I feel the "Diamond and Pearl Only" option should clarify as all-regions as it adds that value when patched.
  • You're able to type in the "Region" box.
  • Capitalization inconsistencies (but that's an extreme OCD nuance).
If someone else could test the macros and/or batcher, that'd be great!

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, thats EXACTLY the things I want comments on. Thanks AlexMoron. I will actually fix them now.

The issue with adding your own custom value, thats related to the first bug. So fixed now

The region text thing, spot on. One thing I wasnt clear on myself. Capitalisation, i didnt even notice lol

And about the region box, I fretted on this for ages. The other list options either cut out default text, or removed the list functions i needed. So ill do a style that looks the best out of them, and yeah see how it goes. But yes it annoyed the hell out of me too lol

So ill reupload in a sec, and also, batch and macros are well tested by me, so they are probs good

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Those are some great additions
biggrin.gif

The one thing that kind of threw me initially was the fact the "Platinum Distro Patch" checkbox is now kind of secondary. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it checks or unchecks based on what you choose in the drop-down menu, as opposed to enabling the menu. A final suggestion of mine would be to remove the checkbox entirely, since it's no longer really necessary as an enabler for the drop-down menu.

And if you were looking for more region choices to include for the future, the only additional one I'd really like to see is a "Platinum only - All Regions" using the 8010 value. My reasoning for that is that there are items that don't exist in Diamond or Pearl. Using Rotom's Secret Key as an example, which already has a Japanese Wonder Card (that uses the regionalized 0010 value). And that option would kind of round out the current D/P and D/P/P options.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The most recent version as of now doesn't have any bugs, as far as I'm aware. The things I suggested in my last post are really the only things I'd want to see in a possible v1.4... and if icon changing is relatively easy to implement, I suppose that as well; though I doubt I'd use that one, myself.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll see it eventually. However, producing this utility isnt't MicShadow's full-time job, and I'm sure he has other stuff keeping him busy; especially during the business week, as most of us do. But given that 1.3 is currently pretty stable, and the only things I can see changing are more tweaks to make the UI more streamlined/efficient, I wouldn't say there's going to be a big rush on 1.4.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys, yeah sorry I havent pumped out a new upgrade as of yet. Its school holidays for me, and for me that means pretty damn busy.

1.3 is pretty much a 1.0 version. Its intended feature set works great. I WOULD like to implement more region codes, icon changing, a more efficient UI and distribution range editing, but havent quite got the time yet.

If anyone knows how to properly implement a icon change (and the CRC fix required, i want to not use ndstool anymore) give me a shout.
Also the source is included in the newest versions, so go nuts if you want.

But yeah, I want to restructure the whole thing, including its UI. So hopefully soon i can get back onto this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."