Hacking WBFS Partition Deleted by accident

reddevilmeuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like a right idiot i plugged the drive into a PC and forgot about it... next moment the WBFS partition had been deleted without being formatted.....

does anyone know how to retrieve the data or indeed rebuild the WBFS partiton to get to the data?

aaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggh

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
reddevilmeuk said:
Like a right idiot i plugged the drive into a PC and forgot about it... next moment the WBFS partition had been deleted without being formatted.....

does anyone know how to retrieve the data or indeed rebuild the WBFS partiton to get to the data?

How could this Partition been deleted? This only happens if you format it, and that would require to go to an App/Option in the Seetings...here's something wrong...

Anyways: WBFS-Partition gone, all Data gone, no way around!

For the last time: WBFS is a special Filesystem, there are no tools for recovery/restore/whatever, and probably will never be. All you can do is format to WBFS, add, delete, not more. Other Tools won't help, because they don't know the filesystem. But I don't think the Partitio is deleted, you just overreacted. Oh, and next time: Topic like this belong in the Backup-Section.

kingofsnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
reddevilmeuk said:

How would plugging your drive into a PC delete any data, as you said no format was done.
Are you sure it has been deleted a WBFS partition will only show up as a drive number eg: N:/ on a windows PC with no data showing
Check - My Computer- on the PC see if you have a drive letter with no capacity, then try a WBFS manager using that drive letter.

Sorry if this does not help.

reddevilmeuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well im currently adding a few 1tb drives to my machine so i have quite a few drives......

in computer manager, it was unknown so i hit delete... thats how
frown.gif
.... so no drive letter no MBR
frown.gif
plop

kwirky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You use edit the partition table using WinHex to recover the lost partition if you understand WBFS and HDD patitions.

slicknixon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once knew of a chap who left his 1.5TB Maxtor Basics (entire 1.5TB WBFS formatted) hooked up to his pc and the files got corrupted.
He had every single Wii game that wasn't a data design game or a game licensed with something stupid like barbie horse adventures etc.or pet games.. you get the point. anyway, it was something like 420 games (which was also an awesome number of games to have) so needless to say it sucked for him.

I'd say if you want to be 100% backup safe and have some money to spend, invest in a backup drive of the same size as the one you have and keep everything you have on both drives at times. When one crashes, just use the other one to restore everything back. Taking into consideration that it would cost less than the price of a wii to buy two 1TB drives to store every good Wii game there is for the rest of it's lifespan, i'd have to say myself that it isn't unreasonable to do. I am thinking of saving up for another drive to use as backup.

reddevilmeuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kwirky said:
You use edit the partition table using WinHex to recover the lost partition if you understand WBFS and HDD patitions.

that would be great if i knew how to use it...

QUOTE(slicknixon @ Jun 25 2009, 07:14 PM) I once knew of a chap who left his 1.5TB Maxtor Basics (entire 1.5TB WBFS formatted) hooked up to his pc and the files got corrupted.
He had every single Wii game that wasn't a data design game or a game licensed with something stupid like barbie horse adventures etc.or pet games.. you get the point. anyway, it was something like 420 games (which was also an awesome number of games to have) so needless to say it sucked for him.

I'd say if you want to be 100% backup safe and have some money to spend, invest in a backup drive of the same size as the one you have and keep everything you have on both drives at times. When one crashes, just use the other one to restore everything back. Taking into consideration that it would cost less than the price of a wii to buy two 1TB drives to store every good Wii game there is for the rest of it's lifespan, i'd have to say myself that it isn't unreasonable to do. I am thinking of saving up for another drive to use as backup.

amen
smile.gif
i have now started to copy all data to the 320 GB usb drive and a spare 500 GB drive in my PC.... just incase... however i have to start all again
frown.gif
luck a friend at work has 100 GB so thats a start
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Nintendo be malding at that