WBFS HELP Western Digital 250GB

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nera, Apr 11, 2009.

Apr 11, 2009

WBFS HELP Western Digital 250GB by Nera at 2:45 PM (8,112 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Nera
    OP

Newcomer Nera Advanced Member

Belgium
    Okay so I just bought this new Western Digital 250GB My passport Essential, and i need some help because my WBFS manager 2.0(or other WBFS things) can't seem to read it.
    So i started by formatting the HDD to wbfs using the Wii's USB loader, then i added a game via the wii (using a legit DVD) and it worked, i could play it.
    But then i wanted to connect it to my computer and open WBFS manager 2.0 but it can't load OR format it.
    when i press load it says this:Error LD1: Error occured while loading the drive. Make sure the drive is not in use and that is has been formatted to WBFS format
    When i press Format it says: An error occured trying to format the drive
    Can someone please help? The drive letter from my Drive is G i don't know if this matters but please help me =)

Thanks in advance, Nera

2. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    run as administrator

3. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    Doesn't work, I can't run it as administrator, it's not htere when i right click WBFS manager 2.0

4. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    I just tried some more WBFS programs but none seem to be able to acces it :s
    please help [​IMG]
    EDIT: I get the error "Could not open drive : No error " with most of them

5. maduin

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's probably because you formatted it with the USB Loader first, I just got my new WD My Passport, made two FAT32 partitions on it using Partition Manager, and then formatted it using WBFS Manager 2.0 and it worked fine. My previous USB HDD was formatted using the USB Loader, the only version of WBFS.exe that would detect my WBFS partition was a command line cygwin1.dll version that emulates a linux environment in Windows.

So my suggestion would be to format your drive back to FAT32 in Windows (preferably using a program like partition magic or partition manager), then format it to WBFS using whatever program you want to use (WBFS Manager 2.0), and that should solve your problems. Yes, you will have to reload your games onto the disk, but it should work fine from now on.

6. Bloodlust

Member Bloodlust GBAtemp Maniac

Hong Kong
    One question, doesn't FAT32 have a file size limit of 4gb? How are you going to inject D9 ISOs like brawl into it? Won't NTFS be a better choice?

7. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    I'm gonna try it right away
    Thanks a lot I hope it works =)

8. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    DAMN!!!!
    When i try to format as WBFS my WBFS manager still gives the same error(it's formatted as FAT 32 now using FAT32formatter)

9. maduin

United States
    I'm sure you probably reassigned it a drive letter, but just in case, check that you did after you reformatted. Other than that, I have no idea, but I have the 320Gb version of your drive and it works fine for me. Good luck.

10. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    What do you mean reassigned it a drive letter? I just tried to format from FAT 32 to WBFS with drive letter N but it still gives the same error, if that's what you mean.So i formatted to FAT32 but none of my WBFS programs allow me to format to WBFS, so what should I do now?

11. maduin

United States
    well, you start with FAT32, and then you format to WBFS. So you're not actually using FAT32 for the USB Loader, since it won't work anyway, you could start with NTFS as well, but the end result is you'll have a WBFS partition, so there's not really a better choice, seeing as how the partition will either be FAT or NTFS for just a moment before you format to WBFS, which is required for the USB Loader.

12. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    install a NON-Vista OS on your PC [​IMG]

When I real all these posts above i think, windows locks the partition automatically installing something useful....and so the WBFS Manager can't format it.
    You better try deleting anything on your USB HDD and then just create a RAW Partition (do not format the partiton)
    the WBFS Manager 2.0 should work. Or just use the WBFS.EXE

13. maduin

United States
    When you get the choice to select the drive letter, that's not what the WBFS partition will be, that is what it IS now. Open up your My Computer and find your FAT32 drive (your my passport) and find whatever letter it is. Then go open up WBFS Manager and select that same drive letter, then hit format. When you select the drive lettter, you'll telling the program where your drive is, not assigning it a letter, it should already be assigned a letter when you formatted it. If not, open up your formatting tool and hopefully it will have an option to assigned the drive a letter. If not, find your Disk Manager that comes with windows and assign the drive a letter.

14. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    None of the above things worked yet(i'm still trying to get WBFS manager to work on XP but my internet is slow so it takes some time to install, are there any other possibiltys?)
    I think it's a problem that the external HDD is seen as a hard drive, not as a removable disk(like my USB stick, wich works with wbfs manager 2.0)btw: I'm on vista

15. maduin

United States
    my drive is also seen as a HD not a removeable disk, and it works. But I'm also on XP, which I reinstalled after I realized that vista just isn't nearly as compatible as XP with all the programs I like to use. Sorry that you can't figure it out, but I'm guessing it probably has to do with Vista, since doing everything that I've said above works fine with XP.

16. maduin

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144453

try using this WBFS.exe, it was the only one that worked for me when I used my old HDD formatted by the USB Loader. Read through the tread and find my posts or

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjfyovj0yn2

download this file and extract the folder, format your USB HDD using the USB Loader and then plug it into your computer when it's down. Then try to drag a game ISO onto the wbfs.bat file and just hope that it starts to load the game to your drive.

17. Nera
    OP

Belgium
    FINALLY, Thanks everyone for all the quick advice, I finally got it to work...
    I tried all of the above things but only one thing seems to work....DON'T USE VISTA
    When i got WBFS manager to work on my XP it worked without any problems...

Thanks again, Nera

18. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    it DOES WORK, you have to go to the .exe file and right click that, NOT the shortcut
    So you can use vista ppl, just know how to work it ;P (you can also set it up that everything runs as administrator but you have to use google)

19. blood_bath_beyon

Newcomer blood_bath_beyon Newbie

United States
    I 2nd what was just said. I spent 5 hours trying to figure this out, as I had the same prob as original poster. and Yes I'm running vista 64. I simply right click the .exe and selected administrator and it worked.