Hacking WBFS External Hard Drive No Longer readable HELP PEASE!

killax162006

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was putting a wbfs file on my hard drive and all of a sudden my hard drive disconnected and now my pc doesn't recognize it. Usually when i plug it in a message pops up and says that i need to format it since it's formatted in wbfs. now it only shows up in devices and printers.and it only lets me eject or look at the properties. when it shows up in disk management it shows up as disk 1 and not initialized. when i try to initialized it won't let me. when i look at the properties it says that the usb and hard drive are functioning properly. i even tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them again. i tried updating too but nothing. it's doesn't show up on my wii anymore either. it just freezes the backup loaders when i try to start them. i have 90 games on there and this is the first time i had trouble with so i'm wondering if anyone can help. it's a wesern digital scorpio blue 500 gb hard drive and i have windows 7. i also tried using easeus partition recovery just incase it can't be repaired but it doesn't show any files just the hard drive and how much space is left.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Try using the app "SWISSKNIFE" to format the HDD as NTFS, then put it through WBFS.

You can download swisshknife here;

If that doesn't work, then your HDD may not be compatbile.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Connect your hard drive via IDE/SATA (depending on the drive) and try to initialize it. If it's a no-go, check the jumper settings - is it properly detected by the BIOS? Once it is and still refuses to be initialized by Windows, it may point at a problem with the surface itself OR it's S.M.A.R.T being a S.M.A.R.T.A.S.S OR the beginning sectors of the drive got screwed up somehow due to the fashion in which you were turning it off - always wait until the spindle stops or at least slows down.

In any case, depending on the make of the drive, there are certain diagnostics tools that will detect it and work with it that are Bootable, for example Seatools for Seagate and Maxtor drives. I sincerely recommend using the tool corresponding to your drive and running a full diagnostic - it may be damaged.

If that is indeed the case, a Zero-Fill might "save" it, but you will lose all of the contents.

http://support.wdc.c...&sid=30&lang=en

By the way... why WBFS? Switch to FAT32 or NTFS, really.

killax162006

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Cartmanuk. Swissknife dectected it but couldn't do a thig but tell it was pulgged up.

And Foxi that support program did the same. When i ran a test it said there were bad sectors that needed to be repaired but when I tried to repair them the test failed here is the results.

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST Model Number: WD Unit Serial Number: Firmware Number: 1.75 Capacity: 0.00 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors. Test Time: 11:49:47, June 11, 2012
Test Option: WRITE ZEROS Model Number: WD Unit Serial Number: Firmware Number: 1.75 Capacity: 0.00 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 09-Sector #0-1::Write Zeros error! Test Time: 11:50:32, June 11, 2012

But i thik it screwed up when i tried to put a game on there that wouldn't go on the hard drive too many times. But the reason i use WBFS is because it's the only one that worked with my Wiiflow, USB LoaderGX or the latest version of Neogamma. For me at least. but there is a good chance that it could just be me messing up on something. there's a high chance of that since i'm pretty much a beginner at all of this. So any tips on how to get NTFS or FAT32 to work on there would be awesome too cuz i have heard that it's safer to use than WBFS.

killax162006

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one more thing on the WBFS/NAT/FAT topic. When I try to put a game on my FAT or NTFS Drive it says the file is too large but they are only 4.37 gigs a piece. I'm always able to put movies of any size on there but the Wii games are too big. do i have to not turn them into .iso files or what. I download them off of torrent sites so sometimes they already come in .iso files so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST Model Number: WD Unit Serial Number: Firmware Number: 1.75 Capacity: 0.00 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors. Test Time: 11:49:47, June 11, 2012
I bolded out and underlined the important parts of this test. This might mean one of three things:
  1. S.M.A.R.T capabilities are disabled in BIOS, thus the test cannot proceed.
  2. S.M.A.R.T is tripped, pointing at a logic board failure (happened to one of my Seagate drives - cannot be repaired without replacing the damaged part)
  3. One of the above AND the motherboard is unable to detect proper LBA/Cylinder+Head+Sector settings.
I suggest setting your motherboard to Default settings, re-try, then Fail-Safe settings and re-try once more. This procedure might take several tries, but do attempt to successfuly finish the Extended Test. Make sure you are using the Bootable version of the utility - the Windows version has certain functionality restricted.

I'm afraid that this drive's future looks pretty grim if even factory tools cannot access it.

EDIT: Double-check the cables and the power as well to make sure that the test results are as accurate as possible and it is not the fault of anything else. According to WD's Knowledge Base, Error 0008 (in your case S.M.A.R.T fail is marked as 08) is marked as:
Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) Error returned during SMART Status/Self Test Command. The drive is defective.
Has the solution:
Replace Drive
So as of today, your error points at Hardware Failure as suspected.

killax162006

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help guys. I just ended up buying a new hard drive today. but if anyone can help me out on the NTFS/FATS i'd be greatful. I have a usb flash drive formatted to NTFS and i have Dragonball z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in WBFS format in the wbfs folder but it still won't show up on wii flow or usb loader gx.

I followed this guys directions verbatim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjaz7V65sfc&feature=relmfu

And i know for a fact that this flash drive isn't messed up. So does anyone have any pointers. thanks.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You need to configure USB Loader GX/WiiFlow to use NTFS first, plus, the partition has to be Primary.
  1. Delete the Volume from the drive with whichever partition manager you use. Create a new volume, make it primary and let it fill the whole drive. Set it to either NTFS or FAT32 and format it.
  2. Update your cIOS'es to their latest revision.
  3. Configure the loaders to use this new partition. If you cannot locate the option in the corresponding .cfg files, simply re-install the loaders - that should load the default settings and take you to the default Settings screen upon launching, allowing you to manually select the partition on which you will play games.
  4. Once the partition is set, use WiiBackupManager (recommended) to convert and transfer your ISO images onto the drive while scrubbing them on-the-fly.
  5. Enjoy!

EDIT: While you're at it, it is recommended that you use ModMii to prepare a guide with all the files you need for the config you desire.

killax162006

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for your help Foxi. It's working as of this minute. i pretty much remodded my wii with that package i used the first time. redownloaded like you told me too and everything came up and is working so far. you been a help so if see your advice on something else i might need help with i'm taking it. thanks alot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, I love those cotton candy grapes.... so good!!!