Ways to reduce CPU heat on a laptop?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quoted for truth. This is why we use cans of air at work and not a compressor (which would be MUCH cheaper with our level of use).

You can get oil free compressors, they come at a bit of premium over normal compressors and have a few maintenance headaches but if you are just doing electronics and not airline tools/painting massive volumes (airbrushing and the like should be OK) you can probably get away with a cheaper one, the entry point being about £100 inc VAT -- http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/air-compressor1-5hp-24-litre-oil-free .

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-16-oz-Air-Compressor-Oil-HDA10700AV/100096995
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-compressor-pump-leaks-oil-into-air-hose.html
Engineers tend not to open their mouth until they have a very solid understanding of the related material. Perhaps you could learn something from that.

Absolutely!
Your"Source"#2 said:
Hello I have a black max air compressor made by coleman power it is a 6.5hp 80 gallon. the air hose has oil leaking in from the pump to the air hose. I am looking to repair this compressor. Any ideas.
You verified what I said. Those who fail to take care of his/her compressor pay the price.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My experience with air in a can is that they'll just move the dust around in the fan without getting it out (how could it get out if you're just blowing it further in?). Especially with bigger dust formations the only way to remove them is to open the heatsink. Using powerful air compressors instead risks damaging the fan by spinning it too hard and/or in the wrong direction. Don't do it, guys.

By the way, one of the major culprits with laptops overheating is the super-crappy quality of OEM thermal pastes. They tend to dry and cure after a year or so and their thermal transmission efficency drops to half. Changing it with fresh, good thermal paste (Gelid for example) will do wonders and you can get a 10-20˚C improvement easily.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the dust is loose inside the fan then I can more easily get at it with my tweezers or hook it all through the fins at once or something, equally I found the solution to backemf is usually just jam something in there to prevent spinning or disconnect the fan.

Are you seeing that much thermal paste in laptops? I still mainly see thermal pads which, while not great by any stretch, do at least have a reasonably long life until you start pulling them about and they tear.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are you seeing that much thermal paste in laptops? I still mainly see thermal pads which, while not great by any stretch, do at least have a reasonably long life until you start pulling them about and they tear.
I've not opened super-recent ones, but those up to one year ago still had a crapload of thermal paste in them.

Thermal pads are usually used on chipsets or low-power GPUs. Maybe with the new low-power CPUs they've switched over to thermal paste for CPUs too, but I suspect that CPUs with high-TDP will still use thermal paste.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah nobody I know wanted to pay good money for gaming grade laptops that were built to last and instead went for the lower end/more disposable stuff, or big boy/business class stuff that I seldom have to do anything other than software on.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You WILL want to open it up to reduce the heat by using some fresh thermal paste, and I've also seen some people on youtube installing a thin copper shim between the cpu and heatsink, drastically reducing the heat output. Arctic Silver is the best thermal compound around, been using it for over a decade. :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.