• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Was brexit good or bad for the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the hypothetical UK out of the EU would only have to worry about those coming in by plane or official boat, maybe crashed spacecraft as well, or maybe embassy, then that would be seen as a benefit/good to some, which is what I thought we were contemplating in this.
While inside the EU the UK had much lower numbers to deal with. They have skyrocketed since Brexit. Clearly, the English vanity project didn't work towards that end either. Despite Britain being an island and all.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
All I know is that before Brexit I could afford to live with money left over, now I'm in negative income and can only afford to live by breaking into my savings.
It's the same in EU countries. Nothing to do with Brexit.

I live in France and we're having the same issues here. In the French media the Ukrainian war + covid are blamed for this, I guess Brexit is blamed in the UK. How funny.

This situation is actually the result of decades of terrible European decisions & stupid rules regarding energetic sovereignty and working class protection. Simply put, it is the result of neoliberal elites deliberately pauperizing working/middle classes in order to keep on grabbing more and more for themselves. It's a fact : in the History of our countries, social inaqualities have never been as huge as nowadays. Congrats EU.

One example summarized in few words : in France electricity could be much cheaper, but EDF is forced by EU laws to artificially bump their prices in order let their competitors on the market be competitive. lol. Kafka would laugh so hard.

If Brexit is rough on some levels it's only because the EU made it as hard as they possibly could. Because the EU is a dictatorship, and dictatorships don't take "treason"/desertion/differing views kindly. But this is temporary and in 10, 20, 50 years UK will pat itself on the back for getting out of this mess on time. If the EU was actually democratic, why would they mind the UK leaving ? After all it was their choice, decided by a democratic vote. Why not respect the vote instead of constantly trying to undermine it ? In France we had to vote for the European constitution in 2005, we voted against it : nevermind, it was forcefully adopted in a non democratic way in 2008, disguised under a new name. How can anyone believe there's any shred of democracy in the EU ?

Just look for yourself how the EU works, how the decisions are made. The European Parliament is a joke, only intended to keep up the pretense of a democracy. They have no real power. Decisions are made by the European Commission and the European Council, people who are not elected, who don't have to answer to anyone... except maybe for lobbies.

Last edited by Ligeia,

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is false, as it is a fact the UK is currently having the highest energy bill and inflation of the west. And Europe especially.
Just look for yourself how the EU works, how the decisions are made. The European Parliament is a joke, only intended to keep up the pretense of a democracy. They have no real power. Decisions are made by the European Commission and the European Council, people who are not elected, who don't have to answer to anyone... except maybe for lobbies.
LOL "tell me you have no idea how things work without telling me explicitly"
Last I checked, the ones holding power are the ones who can tell whether a decision goes forward or not. Not the ones proposing it. Also, calling the EUP a joke keeping up a pretence of democracy? This is a portrait of Westminster right now, a Parliament of rubber-stamping cowards who couldn't even boot a narcissistic PM incapable of obeying the laws he set. You're ridiculous, and another "deranged supporter of Brexit" as another user described you clownish lot.

Reactions: Maximumbeans

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I live in France and we're having the same issues here. In the French media the Ukrainian war + covid are blamed for this, I guess Brexit is blamed in the UK. How funny.

This situation is actually the result of decades of terrible European decisions & stupid rules regarding energetic sovereignty and working class protection. Simply put, it is the result of neoliberal elites deliberately pauperizing working/middle classes in order to keep on grabbing more and more for themselves. It's a fact : in the History of our countries, social inaqualities have never been as huge as nowadays. Congrats EU.

One example summarized in few words : in France electricity could be much cheaper, but EDF is forced by EU laws to artificially bump their prices in order let their competitors on the market be competitive. lol. Kafka would laugh so hard.

If Brexit is rough on some levels it's only because the EU made it as hard as they possibly could. Because the EU is a dictatorship, and dictatorships don't take "treason"/desertion/differing views kindly. But this is temporary and in 10, 20, 50 years UK will pat itself on the back for getting out of this mess on time. If the EU was actually democratic, why would they mind the UK leaving ? After all it was their choice, decided by a democratic vote. Why not respect the vote instead of constantly trying to undermine it ? In France we had to vote for the European constitution in 2005, we voted against it : nevermind, it was forcefully adopted in a non democratic way in 2008, disguised under a new name. How can anyone believe there's any shred of democracy in the EU ?

dont forget banning fish and chips wrapped in newspaper 😂🤣😂🤣🙈🙈🙈

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/p...newspaper-back-discovers-its-a-uk-law-147004/

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
World class doesn't mean much, if the rest of the world hadn't caught up yet.

The EU is a dictatorship because the other 27 countries won't do the bidding of the UK. That makes sense.
You obviously didn't read my post. Or you're just trolling as usual.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, you're just full of BS.
Post automatically merged:

How DARES the EU protect stomachs from digesting healthy BRITISH INK AND CHEMICALS! Kinda like it forces Britain to clean its beaches and now, all this sovereign freedom to pour sewage and literal crap is finally available! Ahhh, this is indeed the smell of Brexit!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did, you obviously think that just because someone reads your posts that they will believe that you are correct.

Your argument starts from an incorrect assumption, which I pointed out.

"Why not respect the vote instead of constantly trying to undermine it ?"

So just because the UK voted to leave the EU, the EU should respect the democratic vote and undermine their own interests? What about the voters in the 27 EU member states who voted for their politicians to fight for their interests?

What you have is democracy, what you want IS a dictatorship.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
World class doesn't mean much, if the rest of the world hadn't caught up yet.
Again 1960s, not 1860s. Japan maybe had not quite made the leap just yet to what we would see in the 80s (and while their world war 2 efforts were questionable on a variety of levels they were hardly spear chuckers either, enough of that still existing) but west Germany, Switzerland, France to whatever extent France has ever been an industrial power, nordics were getting there and of course the US was still firmly in manufacturing and industrial modes, and were all very good at what they did.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again 1960s, not 1860s. Japan maybe had not quite made the leap just yet to what we would see in the 80s (and while their world war 2 efforts were questionable on a variety of levels they were hardly spear chuckers either, enough of that still existing) but west Germany, Switzerland, France to whatever extent France has ever been an industrial power, nordics were getting there and of course the US was still firmly in manufacturing and industrial modes, and were all very good at what they did.
I meant there were still countries that we were still able to sell our crap to, which was as a result of the empire/common wealth.

The UK finally fell apart in the 1970's, which is why we had to beg to get in the single market.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Commonwealth and empire are two different concepts, not to mention Canada and Australia were variously hot on engineering (Canada was still something of a rural backwater by design). Nobody is getting rich on the backs of selling to New Zealand (especially not pre their turn to good farming) or the Caribbean aspects either. Likewise the British Empire was one of the great civilising and uplifting forces in history. A pity you seem to so disregard it or buy into narratives that it was an unbridled evil. Could have been more, could have also been so much less.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A pity you seem to so disregard it or buy into narratives that it was an unbridled evil
Pretty much all of its victims claim it was horrible. Only Muricans and White Britons somehow think that they were "uplifting lesser civilisations" - which, I should remind you, never asked for it.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
UK now has more free trade deals with the world than the EU does. This wasn't possible when we were in the EU. UK is winning with 94 free trade deals, EU only has about 76. See ya EU! PS UK traded with 213 countries and island states in the the year to sept 2022. Once again this was not possible under the EU. We also have control over our own fisheries etc, we are not missing the EU and are thriving outside of it, no matter what doom and gloom the remoaners want to come up with.

Last edited by mrdude,
  • Haha

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UK now has more free trade deals with the world than the EU does. This wasn't possible when we were in the EU. UK is winning with 94 free trade deals, EU only has about 76. See ya EU! PS UK traded with 213 countries and island states in the the year to sept 2022. Once again this was not possible under the EU. We also have control over our own fisheries etc, we are not missing the EU and are thriving outside of it, no matter what doom and gloom the remoaners want to come up with.
There is literally not a single true piece of information in this thread except the unverified number of deals with countries - which however STILL do not make up for losing SM access. Which proves the ineptitude of UK at signing trade deals, as 2 years for +0.08 (over a decade) plus sacrificing higher standards due to being in the minority is the sort of result that would get a whole company board fired.

The point about fisheries and UK thriving are especially egregious LMAO highest inflation in the west, ridiculously huge cost of life, plus avoiding a recession on a technicality hahaha - oh, and fisheries have said multiple times they were better in the EU. Sucks to be them innit.

Whoever said "deranged Brexit supporters" was thinking about you.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
There is literally not a single true piece of information in this thread except the unverified number of deals with countries - which however STILL do not make up for losing SM access. Which proves the ineptitude of UK at signing trade deals, as 2 years for +0.08 (over a decade) plus sacrificing higher standards due to being in the minority is the sort of result that would get a whole company board fired.

The point about fisheries and UK thriving are especially egregious LMAO highest inflation in the west, ridiculously huge cost of life, plus avoiding a recession on a technicality hahaha - oh, and fisheries have said multiple times they were better in the EU. Sucks to be them innit.

Whoever said "deranged Brexit supporters" was thinking about you.
You seem awfully butt hurt that UK voters voted in a fair and democratic way to take back control over their own country and leave a dictatorship.

I've been out with a few girls in the past that were quite venomous when I didn't want to go out with them anymore - you seem to share the same traits as they had. I guess for some, rejection is difficult to deal with. The rest of us just pick up our things and move on, which it's about time you did as well - UK is nothing to do with the EU now, move on and deal with it.

• Haha

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You seem awfully butt hurt that UK voters voted in a fair and democratic way to take back control over their own country and leave a dictatorship.
Lmao you're a really sore "winner" - if you call being worse in every aspect of life except inside your head winning. I guess that life must be pretty disappointing for you - understandably.

I've been out with a few girls in the past that were quite venomous when I didn't want to go out with them anymore - you seem to share the same traits as they had. I guess for some, rejection is difficult to deal with.
let's not play games here, you're in no position to reject anybody. They ditched you after 5 minutes (which must be an Eternity to spend with you). Why would those girls not want to go out with you, you're such a pleasant abusing knuckle-dragger! Maybe you told them to make you a sandwich without even having the courtesy to say please?

The rest of us just pick up our things and move on, which it's about time you did as well - UK is nothing to do with the EU now, move on and deal with it.
You mean, move on like you traitors dis NOT do for 40 years? Because that's what you are FYI, when you actively harm your country (like your vote did) you're a traitor. Your username from now on shall be mrdudhawhaw. I think I'll continue just to spite you until the decision is reversed and your failure is complete - unless your objective was to drag the UK down, in that case, it worked so 👏 👏 👏 👏

For those of you here who aren't blinkered ImBrexiles, I have a tidbit of information for you: for all his talk about imaginary dictatorships, the CPTPP is actually a real one with a very non-transparent dispute resolution mechanism which has been proven to be affected by extremely concening amounts of lobbying and dark practices. I wonder if a referendum on joining THAT is happening anytime soon.

Reactions: Beaukilla

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Lmao you're a really sore "winner" - if you call being worse in every aspect of life except inside your head winning. I guess that life must be pretty disappointing for you - understandably.

let's not play games here, you're in no position to reject anybody. They ditched you after 5 minutes (which must be an Eternity to spend with you). Why would those girls not want to go out with you, you're such a pleasant abusing knuckle-dragger! Maybe you told them to make you a sandwich without even having the courtesy to say please?

You mean, move on like you traitors dis NOT do for 40 years? Because that's what you are FYI, when you actively harm your country (like your vote did) you're a traitor. Your username from now on shall be mrdudhawhaw. I think I'll continue just to spite you until the decision is reversed and your failure is complete - unless your objective was to drag the UK down, in that case, it worked so 👏 👏 👏 👏

For those of you here who aren't blinkered ImBrexiles, I have a tidbit of information for you: for all his talk about imaginary dictatorships, the CPTPP is actually a real one with a very non-transparent dispute resolution mechanism which has been proven to be affected by extremely concening amounts of lobbying and dark practices. I wonder if a referendum on joining THAT is happening anytime soon.
As I said - Butt Hurt..... You don't have anything to say that is based on facts so instead try the personal insults approach. However when an insult is coming from you or any other weird woke lefty mong, well I just have a little chuckle to myself because I know you are seething when you write them.
The only triators in this thread are the ones willing to sell their country out and be ruled by dictators - however the true patriots went out and voted and took back the power that they never voted to give away in the first place.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/X2x6pu6vSjU