Hacking WARNING MacOS Users !

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I received my SXPRO Friday then I have done everything according to guides:

NAND Backup: no problem ; ChoidujourNX for Exfat support: no problem ; Emunand: no problem BUT

When I plugged back my SD Card into my Macbook pro in order to transfert Homebrews on it, a problem happened. So, I put my sd card back into my Switch and launch CFW with Emunand enabled and Blue Screen ! I took a moment to realise what could have gone wrong, then I managed to boot OFW with emunand disabled.

I decided to enable FTP Server in order to check on my Windows PC what was going on and I found that MacOS places hidden unvisible files with prefixes like "_." and those files are copies of the other files so you would have "payload.bin" and "_.payload.bin".

Those files are not visible on MacOS so you HAVE to connect your MicroSD card to a Windows pc in order to be able to see them and delete them because it will cause Blue Screens and prevent homebrews from working.

I hope this will help. I now use Filezilla and everything is ok now thanksfully. :yay:

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a "show hidden files" Finder plist flag you can enable if you want to see/delete them, also loads of utilities that accomplish the same.

Reactions: Lawletto

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's normal. That's how OSX journal the files. It makes those hidden _. folders. They show up like a source thumb in Windows or Linux.

EDIT: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html with this tool you can disable OSX to write on for example USB devices with those folders. It's for spotight....

Last edited by linuxares,

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the tips it'll help MacOS users but it is difficult to know that these things can happen because 99% of guides do no mention that.

This phenomenon should be highlighted because it is not a very common error and when it happens to you, and your files seem OK, it is difficult to find where is the issue.

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its pretty common if you’re used to macOS

In a normal usage it's not a problem to have extra files like that, and most people don't know about it because it's not visible by default but it make you waste a lot of time or even money if you don't know what to do.

In my opinion, there should be much more warnings about it.

Reactions: Minox

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips it'll help MacOS users but it is difficult to know that these things can happen because 99% of guides do no mention that.

This phenomenon should be highlighted because it is not a very common error and when it happens to you, and your files seem OK, it is difficult to find where is the issue.
Yes but this has been known for a while here. Ever since the first switch hack. If you would have just asked us we would have told you first.

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes but this has been known for a while here. Ever since the first switch hack. If you would have just asked us we would have told you first.

The fact is that most guides including the ones on this website, do not warn people about the use of MacOs when creating emunand or installing homebrews.

There must be a lot of things that you know BECAUSE you were here since the first switch hack, but most people will expect guides to provide informations like that.

So, I just hope this will help people having troubles because of MacOS, I don't want to argue about the fact that everybody knows that or not.

:yay:

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my SXPRO Friday then I have done everything according to guides:

NAND Backup: no problem ; ChoidujourNX for Exfat support: no problem ; Emunand: no problem BUT

When I plugged back my SD Card into my Macbook pro in order to transfert Homebrews on it, a problem happened. So, I put my sd card back into my Switch and launch CFW with Emunand enabled and Blue Screen ! I took a moment to realise what could have gone wrong, then I managed to boot OFW with emunand disabled.

I decided to enable FTP Server in order to check on my Windows PC what was going on and I found that MacOS places hidden unvisible files with prefixes like "_." and those files are copies of the other files so you would have "payload.bin" and "_.payload.bin".

Those files are not visible on MacOS so you HAVE to connect your MicroSD card to a Windows pc in order to be able to see them and delete them because it will cause Blue Screens and prevent homebrews from working.

I hope this will help. I now use Filezilla and everything is ok now thanksfully. :yay:

It was mentioned somewhat already.. How to fix SD-Reading problems for macOS was there in the search engine. And SDCard cleanup script for MacOS users as well too. Nothing's new. I am macOS user and don't have a problem if you know what you re doing. Not good for macOS users who are noobs. I am an advance user so I know what I am doing and I am doing just fine. Love macOS!

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was mentioned somewhat already.. How to fix SD-Reading problems for macOS was there in the search engine. And SDCard cleanup script for MacOS users as well too. Nothing's new. I am macOS user and don't have a problem if you know what you re doing. Not good for macOS users who are noobs. I am an advance user so I know what I am doing and I am doing just fine. Love macOS!

I also love macOS but I'm not using it anymore for this kind of stuff :rofl2:

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just leave the ._ files on my SD, they don't affect anything for me. All major homebrew's ignore them and even SX OS ignores them on the XCI and NSP and homebrew screens. Honestly, the ._ files only posed a small problem for me in ReiNX when loading kips a long time ago and that got fixed too. Now I have no reason to remove the ._ files, everything still works perfectly fine.

Reactions: linuxares

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just leave the ._ files on my SD, they don't affect anything for me. All major homebrew's ignore them and even SX OS ignores them on the XCI and NSP and homebrew screens. Honestly, the ._ files only posed a small problem for me in ReiNX when loading kips a long time ago and that got fixed too. Now I have no reason to remove the ._ files, everything still works perfectly fine.

It's a problem when you are using emunand especially.

AbuLela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just run this after you copy files to sd card, and stop the weeping -.-
Code:
sudo chflags -R arch /Volumes/YOUR_SD_CARD

DeuX

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
In a normal usage it's not a problem to have extra files like that, and most people don't know about it because it's not visible by default but it make you waste a lot of time or even money if you don't know what to do.

In my opinion, there should be much more warnings about it.

I think you’re getting it wrong. ._ files are not the issue, it’s the archive bit that prevents homebrew from running properly when using macOS. Either run Hekate ser archive bit option after transferring files or use ftp to send them over

Lawletto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This topic or another explaining how to use MacOs for cfw should be highlighted.

It would save people much trouble and save some time. Don't tell me they just have to make a simple research because no guide on how to install cfw ever talk about MacOs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway