Gaming Warcraft and Dota 2 on Wii U?

JN_big3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If Warcraft and DOTA 2 will be available for the Wii U I will surely buy it!!!!!

I'm just praying :D :D that this will happen

Source

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warcraft, no. Dota, maybe?

I've heard rumors of Valve working with the Wii U pretty closely and since Dota2 is distributed by valve, having it on the wii U doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch. However, Warcraft will never make it to the console market just because Blizzard is a PC only game maker. They do not have licensing deals with any of the consoles and probably will not

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blizzard is a PC only game maker.

Very untrue, while its been a very long time since they last did a game for a console (Starcraft 64 I think was the last) they've openly said that they're looking into a console version of Diablo 3. For them its more about a game fitting properly on a console and to be honest the Wii U has a lot of things going for it that would suit their titles. I don't see World of Warcraft being on Wii U purely because its fairly old and pretty much anyone who wanted to try it would have by now, its not like it needs a good PC to play it.

They do not have licensing deals with any of the consoles and probably will not
They are owned by Activision...so yeah they won't have a problem with that.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blizzard is a PC only game maker.

Very untrue, while its been a very long time since they last did a game for a console (Starcraft 64 I think was the last) they've openly said that they're looking into a console version of Diablo 3. For them its more about a game fitting properly on a console and to be honest the Wii U has a lot of things going for it that would suit their titles.

They do not have licensing deals with any of the consoles and probably will not
They are owned by Activision...so yeah they won't have a problem with that.

Activision is a parent company and there are weird legal and executive managorial thingamabobs that go together with it. Yes, I said thingamabobs because I have no idea how to adequeatly explain it

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Blizzard released only two games on consoles - Starcraft 64 and Diablo for the PSX - both games were watered down in comparison to their PC counterparts and they officially stated that their adventures with consoles are officially over as the programming environments are simply too limiting for proper development. Whether they changed their mind or not is not something I'd know, however they're well-versed in programming for x86/x64 architectures and I sincerely doubt that this particular studio would suddenly engage themselves in development of games for consoles.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blizzard released only two games on consoles - Starcraft 64 and Diablo for the PS
Actually they've done a lot of console games: Blackthorne, Rock 'n' Roll Racing, Death & Return of Superman, Justice League Task Force & Lost Vikings 1 & 2, some of which were console only. They also did Warcraft 1 & 2 for PSX. Of course this was when Blizzard were a different company, from what I understand not one person working on Diablo 3 has worked on the previous two.

They always said that they wanted to make games for consoles but time constraints prevent them. Would be nice if they stepped out of their comfort zone and did something new for a change that wasn't a sequel or spin off, I know they've got a MMO called Titan but that just sounds like WoW in space.

I bet they have a good contract with Activision, something that states "you can't port our shit unless we say so" because otherwise Activision would have milked their franchises dry.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Blizzard released only two games on consoles - Starcraft 64 and Diablo for the PS
Actually they've done a lot of console games: Blackthorne, Rock 'n' Roll Racing, Death & Return of Superman, Justice League Task Force & Lost Vikings 1 & 2, some of which were console only. They also did Warcraft 1 & 2 for PSX. Of course this was when Blizzard were a different company, from what I understand not one person working on Diablo 3 has worked on the previous two.

They always said that they wanted to make games for consoles but time constraints prevent them. Would be nice if they stepped out of their comfort zone and did something new for a change that wasn't a sequel or spin off, I know they've got a MMO called Titan but that just sounds like WoW in space.

I bet they have a good contract with Activision, something that states "you can't port our shit unless we say so" because otherwise Activision would have milked their franchises dry.
I did not know that, thank you for revising my knowledge, I stand corrected.

That said, I do remember reading an article about the issue and I'm pretty sure that Blizzard really isn't all that interested in so-called "locked" architectures, and consoles are definitelly more "constraining" than PC's. I just might google for it in my spare time - they were usually disappointed with what they came out of their work as far as console games are concerned.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what they last said about Diablo 3 coming to consoles, this was May 12th...in January they did say that they had a lead designer on the console version but I guess they don't now.

"We haven't officially announced it, because we're not 'experimenting,'" he said. "We tell people that basically we're experimenting, because it helps us hire people. The better people we hire, the better chance we have to actually make it."

"That's why we haven't kept it super secret, but we also haven't confirmed it, because we're not sure yet whether we think it will work, and whether we think we have the resources to do it."

Basically to me it sounds like they're trying to get together a dedicated console team together but one they can have faith in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.