[wanted] all in one tutorial

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by spinal_cord, Apr 16, 2015.

1. spinal_cord
    OP

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    I'm looking to transfer all of my game carts to my system. Is this currently possible without a gateway/sky cart?

My 3DS XL is currently 9.2, I don't mind downgrading.
    Is there currently a tutorial for setting up an emunand, converting cart games to an installable format and installing them on said emunand?

2. coolfuze

coolfuze GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2013
    Yes, lock.

gamesquest1 and Ronhero like this.
  3. valyr

valyr GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2007
    United Kingdom
    well you can dump all of your game carts with gateways launcher no card needed and you can convert them to cia files easy enough
    emunand is also possible without gateway (rxtools is good for this) but there is still no way to install games to a non patched cfw (emunand)
    that were made using any sdk after 5 (fw7.0) at least not to my knowledge. it also depends on what games and what your morals are i.e
    will you download a backup of a game you own or must it be ripped from your cart.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    1. For starters, you'll need to install some form of custom firmware if you're dead set against using flashcart solutions. You have an old 3DS and you're on 9.2, so you can use the Websploit as an entry point for installation. You're kind of better off downgrading to 4.5, so here's an installation guide for you - no need for a Gateway: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...stall-cfw-without-owning-gateway-card.378256/
    2. Next you'll have to dump your cartridges. Since you don't want to use a Gateway, this step might be problematic. I'm out of ideas, I'm not that mich into the 3DS scene, but perhaps there's an open source dumper available.
    3. To convert your .3DS dumps into installable .CIA's follow this a guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-converting-3ds-to-cia-for-dummies.373722/
    4. rxTools should serve you well in terms of EmuNAND and whatnot:
      https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-rxtools-roxas75-3ds-toolkit-fw-2-0-9-2.382782/
    I hope the list was somewhat helpful. ;)

5. Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2008
    United States
    You can dump your cartridges via the gateway menu even if you don't own a gateway. Just point your 3DS's browser to go.gateway-3ds.com

6. BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah you can dump games, turn them into CIAs.
    You can play them on PBT-CFW or Palantine's. Assuming none need 7.x crypto. But you probably have some that do, and those can't be played this way without a gateway.
    Rxtools would be great for this but he's anti-piracy. And while this isn't piracy, there's no way to properly sign the games converted to CIA, so they won't work with his cfw.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Gateway is technically custom firmware. The red gateway cart is a drm dongle used to enter gateways custom firmware.

8. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
  9. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    It was not a DRM dongle until 2.6

10. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    The thing is that NOW it is a DRM dongle, who cares about the past

Adeka likes this.
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    well you still kinda need it initially to get dev menu installed, unless you downgrade to 4.x install dev menu via pbt, then set up emunand etc.....but who cares really imo its their work if they decide to not want to work for free that's their decision and i won't complain, if another dev steps forward and wants to make a free cfw with all the features thats their decision too, but lets not turn this into a "we deserve it free" "no you don't" debate again, you get what your given unless you make it yourself ;)

MrJason005 likes this.