[Tutorial] How to downgrade from 9.2 and install CFW without owning Gateway card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lisreal2401, Jan 11, 2015.

1. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    OK, I've seen tons of confusion over this today. I've personally downgraded my 9.2 3DS, and went through the VERY tedious process of installing the CFW, without owning a GW. Here's everything you need to know.

1. What you need -

3DS or 3DS XL (2DS isn't supported, nor is New 3DS or New 3DS XL) with 9.2 or lower
    Any Nintendo DS flashcart that works on your current firmware
    Lots of patience

First things first. Go ahead and grab the Gateway 3.0 launcher from somewhere. Place this in the root of your SD card. Now, download the downgrade file appropriate for your region and have this on the root of your SD card. Put the thing in your 3DS. Install the DS mode exploit using any flashcart now.

Now, load the Internet Browser, and go to www.go.gateway-3ds.com to load the exploit. Make sure you clear your cookies, and disable the wireless before launching the internet browser. Re-enable once you have your cookies cleared. Once you're in, dump your current nand and back it up somewhere. This is required to downgrade, so don't back it up before downgrading. After this, run the downgrade app and be patient. You'll now be on 4.2 firmware. From here, backup your nand to your PC. This is very important if you ever want to return to 9.2, or if you have retail eShop stuff you want to keep when you go legit again.

I won't be delving into making a separate emunand in this tutorial. So if you still want to use your retail carts, I can't help you at the moment. Someone surely can point me in the right direction however.

Now for the tedious part. Give all your thanks to Devin, he wrote this, not me. Make sure you use Palentine CFW for this, but other than that, follow this 1:1

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Grab the required files from this topic here http://gbatemp.net/threads/4-x-only-cia-cfw-complete-guide.373532/

This should be all you need to get this up and running. A bunch of other stuff I haven't covered, but again, this is the bare basic guide for CFW on 9.2 without a Gateway. Post questions or anything I missed here. Thanks to everyone above.

EDIT: OK, thanks to spinal_cord I've found out you can run a separate emunand on a different SD card on 9.4, allowing you to use this CFW AND stay on the latest firmware to play 7.X and higher games on CFW and access the eShop. What you need for this -

Additional SD card
    MT Card 2.3 launcher.dat (here http://www.mt-card.com/index.html)
    The Gateway Launcher installed to the DS profile exploit

So, assuming you've already followed the steps here, run the rop multiloader we used earlier to install the Gateway Launcher. Note that you'll need to switch back to the Homebrew Launcher if you want to use the CFW again. Put the MT Card Launcher.dat in the root of your other SD card. Load the DS profile exploit, and the MT Card menu should pop up. Dump your NAND, then format it using the tool in the MT Card menu. From here, launch Classic Mode, then enter the System Settings again. If you're firmware version starts with MT3D, you've done it correctly and can safely update to 9.4 firmware. If not, DO NOT update your system and try again. You'll reboot back into your stock nand after updating. From here, run Classic Mode again and you should be running your emulated 9.4 nand.

2. 54321

54321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2011
    United States
    I think that people may be having more trouble with downgrading than cfw since there is already a thread on how to install it, but I'm not gonna complain about a convenient 2 in 1 thread.

3. videogamefanatic

videogamefanatic Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2010
    United States
    I've been following that same CFW guide over and over, and I can get the CFW to boot, but I can't ever get ctrclient to connect.

4. tintin.92

tintin.92 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    What features exactly does CFW provide? I'm guessing it can't entirely replace a Gateway cart

Margen67 likes this.
  5. videogamefanatic

videogamefanatic Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2010
    United States
    It provides the ability to install .cia files (games, dlc, etc) built for firmwares 4.5 and below (and the odd few newer programs/games). It doesn't replace Gateway, but you can at least play older games.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    It allows you to install .CIAs that are compatible with firmware 4.5 or lower.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I got it to work :D The rebooting process took forever (it froze more often than it did work, but no harm done. Just try over and over again), and I just kept my router control panel open to keep an eye on the 3DS's IP address (I had to move closer to the router to get it to work... you want to make sure the blue "Internet" text is showing on the top screen after the reboot instead of the green "StreetPass" text when you run the batch file). Oh, and yeah, you need to have something from the eShop (a game, a demo, etc) installed on the SD card prior to installing the devmenu .cia file.

This was a 9.2 3DS XL that was just catching dust on my desk, so downgrading it to 4.2 and installing devmenu might give this thing some use :D
    large pic just because

(oh, and I noticed a typo in the instructions... it says "Copy Insert" on Step 5 instead of "Paste Insert". Confused me for a bit before I figured that out!)

Margen67 likes this.
  8. videogamefanatic

videogamefanatic Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2010
    United States
    How do you install anything from the eShop since it asks you to update when you start it?

9. mehrab2603

mehrab2603 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Dhaka
    Don't have a DS flashcart that works on 4.5 :(
    Now that we can exploit the browser, is there a way we can use that instead of a DS flashcart?

10. tintin.92

tintin.92 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    Thanks. Can you run regular gateway while on cfw? Also retail carts that require>4.5 won't work, right?

11. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I had software on my SD card prior to downgrading, so I just copied that over after I formatted the emuNAND. You need at least one piece of software installed on the SD card in order for the devmenu icon to appear on the Home menu, even if you've installed it properly.

From what I understand, Gateway's version of the DS Profile exploit is more picky about the launcher.dat (you overwrite it with a different exploit after formatting the emuNAND)... I'm assuming Gateway's browser exploit is the same, so I'm not quite sure if there's a browser-based exploit that allows this to work.

12. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    Don't you mean, "so back it up before downgrading"*? People reading that could get screwed over big time.

And here again, backing up your NAND after you've already gone to 4.2 isn't going to help you get back to 9.2. So this is again misleading.

Just a couple things you should probably correct in your post...

13. lisreal2401
    OP

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    You can restore back to 9.2 through hardware... not sure if a software solution is possible yet. As for the former, it can be a bit confusing. I should have said, don't delete the file before downgrading, as you can't proceed without it in the root of your SD card.

Off topic: Despite being a very recent release, the US version of Fantasy Life works on 4.5 for those that care!

14. rescribe

rescribe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    That place in the U.S.A
    "Install the DS mode exploit using any flashcart now." What is that i'm confused? I have a DS Flashcart but what files do I need to put on it for that.

15. lisreal2401
    OP

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    The rop multiloader included in the linked file at the end of the OP.

16. rescribe

rescribe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    That place in the U.S.A
  17. Pawed

Pawed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sep 29, 2014
    India
    Just did this, and it worked, although I used instructions from another thread.

Now I have a few questions: how do I get into emuNAND? how can I update the emuNAND to 9.4.0? In the emuNAND do I already have BigBlueMenu (I used this instead of devmenu) or will I have to install this again?

Also, how can I install games that are 7.0.0, like Pokemon Omega Ruby etc?

18. arehandero

arehandero Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2010
    United States
    Great, I was able to do the setup with the help of lisreal2401.
    My questions now are:
    1. Do I have to execute the DS profile exploit everytime I turn on the 3ds?
    2. What CIAs can I install? i mean, does this allow multiregion?
    3. I heard if you use wrong CIAs you can bring your 3DS, is this true? if so, what should I avoid?

thanks in advance and thanks again lisreal!

19. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    ...from what I can tell, the exploit is technically running through emuNAND (I'm not brave enough to test that theory though). I'd just love it if it was possible to update this thing to the latest.

Margen67 likes this.
  20. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Hey, not to be rude, but how about a step-by-step guide for n00bz. A lot of these instructions are involved and require a bit of research to complete.

pdaboy, Margen67 and MaK11-12 like this.