Hardware Want to get a Switch Pro controller, but...

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I guess that's what happened when you rushed production. There will be bad batches. Hopefully, it's only a handful. Otherwise, it should be recalled or something. If you really do want one, I'd say wait for it. It's not gonna run out of stocks anyway or wait for sales like Black Friday or something to get it cheap. The Switch was just released a month ago and it does not have that many games yet to warrant getting a pro controller unless you want to play with it really bad. It's really up to you and your urges. :P

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
trying to play with the joycons sux they're so small and you have to loosen your grip to try and click the z buttons not to mention charging them every playthrough. and try doing them motion puzzles in the shrine with them it's a fucking nightmare! the joycon grip isn't any better after holding that fort a few hours my hands starting to ache. proC is comfortable, lasts a week without charging, you've got a good grip on it and can access all buttons easily. can aim with the bow with it and it's easy to rotate to do them motion puzzles

PRO CONTROLLER
0ff49113f737f6725161e579f345863f0a8b6d82d260aca7a3726c18b760b024.jpg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My hands are fairly large and I love the joy cons, especially in split mode, y'all just holding them wrong. :teach:

The pro controller is great too, but it's nothing special other than the way the buttons and D-pad click in, which does give slightly better feedback than an XB1 pad, I suppose. No issue with input being registered incorrectly on the D-pad.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My hands are fairly large and I love the joy cons, especially in split mode, y'all just holding them wrong. :teach:

The pro controller is great too, but it's nothing special other than the way the buttons and D-pad click in, which does give slightly better feedback than an XB1 pad, I suppose. No issue with input being registered incorrectly on the D-pad.
I am not sure if it is about big hands or whatever but, again with my test game Fast RMX, the experience goes from piece of cake (Pro Controller), to not so much of a joy to play (joycons with grip), to just unplayable (using only one joycon).

Regarding the Pro Controller's dpad, I really really think it is way worse quality than the xb1s controller's. The other day I was playing Momodora in xb1, and I think I just couldn't pull those kind of things with the Pro Controller's dpad.

The xb1s dpad clicks great like an arcade machine and also the dpad movement is correctly limited to avoid bad presses (you can't push it in the center for example). Only regarding the dpad I think the xb1s controller feels way better, in the other departments both are great, actually the Pro Controller has better analog sticks.

Specially, it is that, the better analog sticks, what make it so much better to play Fast RMX. You can control the thing better, that simple. In my experience.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have one, why.... umm why would someone need one? It does what the joycon grip does. :creep:

I find the pro controller more comfortable to hold and use compared to the joycons/grip, I only use my joycons now if I undock the console.

That said I got it quite cheap.

If you can, I'd suggest trying to hold one/use one.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find the pro controller more comfortable to hold and use compared to the joycons/grip, I only use my joycons now if I undock the console.

That said I got it quite cheap.

If you can, I'd suggest trying to hold one/use one.
Yeah but $70 isn't cheap for a controller in USA, joycon works just as well with the grip, and also, directional buttons? YES! :P

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
So, I went and got one for less than $4 in cash (+ $50 GC to Gamestop, and $22 for 2 Wii U game trade-ins that I hadn't played in years). It's very nice. I hadn't used an XBox controller in a long time, so it will take me some getting used to with the position of the right-analog stick, even after using the Joycons. Unfortunately, it seems to suffer from the D-Pad issue. I press any direction, then lean slightly to a perpendicular direction. Not nearly enough to the point where it should read that different direction, but it does read nonetheless. Testing the same thing on Wii U with that U Pro controller with some Mario VC, but it's not as sensitive.

So, will this be something Nintendo would fix? I'm already planning on sending my Joycons in for repair (left has the sync issue, and my right one just recently experienced non-responsiveness when trying to turn the system on [pressing home didn't even get it to sync for a minute, no lights]), so it's either send my joycons in first, or this Pro controller, assuming Nintendo would fix this D-Pad issue.

Last edited by DiscostewSM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead