Hacking Waninkoko's Backup Loader FAQ

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CAT FIGHT!!! UH OH! I think that he can legally take your words and put them under method as long he is not claiming they are his, which he is not doing.

Also De Blob will be tested any minute now. By me..

Rcolon85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoGenesis said:
talicme said:
supersonic88 said:
ok i just ordered a component cable but i have a standard TV with no HD inputs...but i have an idea but not sure if it'll work.
i drew up a crappy diagram..
diagram.png

so what do you guys think? i think it might work but some feedback would be nice..

I was thinking about this myself. If the Wii outputs RGB then it seems like it would work. However, if it outputs YPbPr then it won't because of the digital sync needed. There would have to be some sort of transcoder used between the Wii and TV. I've been searching, but I'm not sure which one the Wii uses.

sorry guys, i tried this a few days ago and to no avail. It seems once the component cables are plugged in the wii detects it and outputs YPbPr. I would be especially happy if someone got it to work as I have an older TV with only AV input
frown.gif
;
also i've tried the PAL games on my NTSC wii and no go for color either.

and a big thanx to WANINKOKO for getting this ball rolling in the first place, if i could apologize for all the Jerks out there flaming you for helping us all out, i would:)

I have the same problem.... only AV input
frown.gif
i got the component cables but i can only plug in the green.

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys i Have burned star wars at 4x NTSC and NTSC wii and it worked perfect but now i am trying to burn sluggers, lego batman and indiana jones it detects the game and it loads the address and after that i get green screen what should i do someone tell me any ideas

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cooler89 said:
Guys i Have burned star wars at 4x NTSC and NTSC wii and it worked perfect but now i am trying to burn sluggers, lego batman and indiana jones it detects the game and it loads the address and after that i get green screen what should i do someone tell me any ideas
Assuming you have NTSC ISOs patch them to PAL using Waninkoko's WiiFrii (a,1,0 is the order of keys to patch), then patch the iso with backup creator then burn.

de Blob works great aside from obvious errors cause by reading speed.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HaloBenish said:
Cooler89 said:
Assuming you have NTSC ISOs patch them to PAL using Waninkoko's WiiFrii (a,1,0 is the order of keys to patch), then patch the iso with backup creator then burn.

That doesn't fix Super Sluggers atleast, I tried.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaisuto said:
HaloBenish said:
Cooler89 said:

That doesn't fix Super Sluggers atleast, I tried.
Yes it does. I use WiiFrii, patched it with the backup creator, then burned it. Besides the opening movie, I have no problems.

NeoGenesis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
supersonic88 said:
ok i just ordered a component cable but i have a standard TV with no HD inputs...but i have an idea but not sure if it'll work.
i drew up a crappy diagram..
diagram.png

so what do you guys think? i think it might work but some feedback would be nice..

Ya know tho, I did get this to work on my old xbox. However the cables were component/AV; I'd set the switch to AV but a signal would still come through the Component side; I'd then splice the three into one and Voila! (u might wonder why if i had AV on there too, I was bored and it looked dif so...)

On the plus side by the time a fully working NTSC loader is available I should have about 300 burnt games lol.

I already got 4 SPM's lol
smile.gif

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys i downloaded lego batman and i used the patch to convert to pal and when it loaded the screen was half green and half you can see the image but it was stuttering dont know if anyone else is having problem let me know if anyone has lego batman working PAL or NTSC or step on to fix it

snick422

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sdbinwiiexe said:
snick422 said:
MAJOR NEWS! I changed the setting on my TV to PAL, and the black and white issue is FIXED!
What TV Setting should I use PAL-M or PAL-N?
(Sorry about double-posting.)

No idea. I just have PAL and NTSC on my tv. See if you have "AUTO." That sets it to whatever is needed.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Praetor192 said:
can a video game guide be copyrighted?

lol of course it can, but for all the copyrighted images, trademarks, etc., not for "push a to pull out the master sword."

you had no copyright images/text, in fact, legally everything you post becomes property of gbatemp

Praetor192 said:
Is a computer illegal because it facilitates copyright infringement?

um...what? I said you had no legitimate copyright, not that your post was illegal.

And yes, using a computer to break the law is...against the law.

is that what you meant to ask?

homebrew software isn't illegal, even backup-loader, but its use may be,
but that still isnt what I was pointing out.

QUOTE(Praetor192 @ Sep 23 2008, 09:47 PM)
the fact that you did not credit me for my work is what pissed me off.

I did not credit you, because:

-I did not post it on the wiki at all, I only made good modifications
-Whomever did, probably credited zidane because that's what you did, in this same thread....makes sense.
-Immediately after you WENT OFF in "discussion", a wiki member credited you,
and you deleted it anyway, it is shown very obviously in the history

THEN

-upon reposting it after we "Asked your permission", you resubmitted it with almost all of MY changes but only gave yourself credit,
which I could care less about really

but you should know, I removed it for good, we have our own now, so you can sleep easy tonight there lil' buddy.

awesome wiki is still here:

http://maschell.de/mediawiki-1.6.10/index.php/Main_Page

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cooler89 said:
guys i downloaded lego batman and i used the patch to convert to pal and when it loaded the screen was half green and half you can see the image but it was stuttering dont know if anyone else is having problem let me know if anyone has lego batman working PAL or NTSC or step on to fix it
That is caused by your tv not supporting PAL input, solution is to get component cables.

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaloBenish said:
Cooler89 said:
That is caused by your tv not supporting PAL input, solution is to get component cables.

I am using HD cable

acg12xu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3.2U, NTSC Wii, ImgBurn X2 speed, GQ brand DVD-R

PAL Mario Kart: Same problem as everyone else, can't get past fist stage in the cup however haven't had any problems at all with multiplayer
NTSC Star Wars TFU: Played through the first two stages. No problems other than long load times.

Will try Tomb Raider Anniversary PAL next. I don't see anyone trying this one.

NeoGenesis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jayneo8 said:
jinxvorheeze said:
Super Paper Mario NTSC doesn't need anything special to play right just patch and go. No WiiFrii or anything?

It didn't work for me! Only got B&W video... hmpf

it did work actually, just in black and white, and if you'd read the prev posts you'd understand that this is a problem caused by the loader outputting in PAL not NTSC, and if you do happen to have a PAL wii then it's probly a problem with the ISO you've got.

Fye_DX

Trophies
XP
Country
Updated <u><i>Battalion Wars II</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>], <i><u>Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaishi 3</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>], <i><u>Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>], <u><i>Mahou Sensei Negima: Neo Pactio Fight</u></i> [<i>NTSC-J</i>], <u><i>Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>], <u><i>Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>] with Backup Loader 0.1 compatibility:

<b>Hardware</b>: <i>PAL</i> Wii
<b>Firmware</b>: 3.3E
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Information about the tests:
Each test I do is published here after approximately 10-minutes in-game. After the initial test, I run 2 more tests (adding to a total of 3) that take about 30-minutes each, turning off the Wii and booting the game again in between. The notes are related to the time I spend playing the backup, so you can get more bugs or errors if you keep playing the game for a longer period. As for the games that don't load, I usually burn up to 3 (Although most times I burn only 2) copies of the backup using different settings, and test all of them. The '<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT WORKING</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->' tag will only be used if the backup did not load any of those times. Finally, I would just like to say that I keep on playing the backups even after the those tests and I add any bug, error or useful information I might discover, so if you get some kind of error on a game I tested, you can come back here and re-read the notes. If I get the same error, it will be posted there alongside any kind of workarround (If there is one..)
And tests with Backup Loader 0.1 are done with the normal settings, unless there is any bug. In that case, I'll change the settings trying to get a better gameplay experience.
Oh, and these are my own test results. If you got a game to work and I didn't, just send me a PM with the settings you used, and if I can get the game to work with your settings I'll post it in here and give you credit.

About speed related issues:
I'm NOT going to add notes about speed other than 'Buggy Cutscenes' (Meaning that the cutscene is slow.) or 'Buggy Sound' (Meaning that the sound is not synchronized.). We all know the Backup Loader does NOT use the Wii's 6x reading, so the loadings WILL be slow. Please don't PM me asking it the loadings are 'OK' just because I don't add 'Slow Loadings' to the notes.

About Hacks used on the ISOs:
I don't hack any of my ISOs with anything other than WiiFrii. But I can't make time go back, so if a ISO was scrubbed, it will stay scrubbed, and I will test it like that.

About the time I take testing the ISOs:
I know some of you may thing otherwise, but I'm not rich and I don't have an unlimited supply of TDK DVD-R. If you want me to test faster, just buy me some DVDs! I know they're cheap and all, but I burn each ISO 2 times just to be sure before posting here the results, and that takes time and resources.

About Wikis and other compatibility sites:
I will NOT post my compatibility updates in any other site/forum. I've posted some updates <a href="http://maschell.de/mediawiki-1.6.10/index.php/Main_Page" target="_blank">here</a> but I won't do it anymore. Anyone who wants to use my updates can do it, as long as you mention my name there.

About my English speaking skills:
Sorry! =3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro--><b>UNTESTED</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> = If you don't understand this one, just get the hell out of here.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT WORKING</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> = Freezes at a Black/Gray/Green Screen or simply freezes the loader.
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> = Freezes in-game or during loadings.
<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> = Game playable with no/minor/speed-related bugs.

Games:
<u><i>Battalion Wars II</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
Waninkoko's Backup Loader (Leaked Version): <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Backup Loader (0.1): <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<i>Media used: TDK DVD-R</i>
<i>Burn speed: 4x</i>
<i>Burn software: Alcohol120%</i>
<i>Hacks used: None</i>
<i><u>Waninkoko's Backup Loader Notes:</u></i>
- Can connect to Nintendo WFC.
<i><u>Backup Loader Notes:</u></i>

<u><i>Bleach: Shattered Blade</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
Waninkoko's Backup Loader (Leaked Version): <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Backup Loader (0.1): <!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro--><b>UNTESTED</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<i>Hacks used: Scrubbed</i>
- English Voice Acting sucks. (Not that it has anything to do with the loader though...)

<i><u>Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaishi 3</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
Backup Loader (0.1): <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<i><u>Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
- Subtitles appear way before the actual dialog comes up.
- Could only get the game working 1/2 of the times I booted it. I have no idea of the reason.
- Subtitles appear way before the actual dialog comes up.

<u><i>Geometry Wars: Galaxies</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
Backup Loader (0.1): <!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro--><b>UNTESTED</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
- Can take a long time to load appearing to have blocked on a Black Screen. Just wait for it to finish loading.

<u><i>Harvest Moon: Magical Melody</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
- Sometimes, the loadings will take a really long time, making it seem that the game freezes. Just wait and the game will continue normally.
- Sometimes, the loadings will take a really long time, making it seem that the game freezes. Just wait and the game will continue normally.

<u><i>Mahou Sensei Negima: Neo Pactio Fight</u></i> [<i>NTSC-J</i>]
Backup Loader (0.1): <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT WORKING</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<i>Hacks used: WiiFrii NTSC-J to PAL</i>
- Green Screeen
- NTSC-J to PAL patching will NOT solve the problem.
- Force PAL (50/60) will NOT solve the problem.

<i><u>NiGHTS Journey of Dreams</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
- Appears to block after showing the 'Sonic Team' logo. Pressing the 'Home' button a few times gets you over that.

<i><u>Opoona</u></i> [<i>NTSC-U</i>]
Waninkoko's Backup Loader (Leaked Version): <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT WORKING</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<i>Hacks used: WiiFrii NTSC-U to PAL</i>
- Black Screen
- NTSC-U to PAL patching will NOT solve the problem.

<u><i>Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
<i>Media used: Verbatim DVD-R</i>
<i>Burn software: Alcohol120% with <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=105670&view=findpost&p=1416456" target="_blank">dazz159</a> tip.</i>
- Backup Creator will make an 'unknown' ISO type. Visit <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=105670&view=findpost&p=1416456" target="_blank">this</a> post to get a workarround. Thanks dazz159!
- You can also get arround the 'unknown' ISO by using Nero to burn the image. I haven't been able to get it working this way, but some people have. It's up to you to choose how you should burn the image.
- Backup Creator will make an 'unknown' ISO type. Visit <a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=105670&view=findpost&p=1416456" target="_blank">this</a> post to get a workarround. Thanks dazz159!
- You can also get arround the 'unknown' ISO by using Nero to burn the image. I haven't been able to get it working this way, but some people have. It's up to you to choose how you should burn the image.

<u><i>Samba de Amigo</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
- Songs appear to be off-sync. (Not Always)
- Songs appear to be off-sync. (Not Always)

<u><i>Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]

<u><i>Soul Eater: Monotone Princess</u></i> [<i>NTSC-J</i>]
Waninkoko's Backup Loader (Leaked Version): <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT WORKING</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Backup Loader (0.1): <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT WORKING</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<i>Hacks used: Scrubbed, WiiFrii NTSC-J to PAL</i>
- Black Screen.
- Green Screen
- Force PAL (50/60) will NOT solve the problem.

<i><u>WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2008</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
Waninkoko's Backup Loader (Leaked Version): <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>NOT PLAYABLE</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<i>Media used: Verbatim DVD-R</i>
<i>Burn software: Nero 8</i>
- Freezes at the first loading screen, probably thanks to using a Imation disc (?).
- Test will be re-run with TDK/Verbatim discs as soon as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ISOs I have ready to test are:
<u><i>Bleach Wii: Shiraha Kirameku Rinbukyoku</u></i> [<i>NTSC-J</i>]
<u><i>Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
<u><i>Oneechanbara Revolution</u></i> [<i>NTSC-J</i>]
<u><i>Pokémon Battle Revolution</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
<u><i>Pro Evolution Soccer 2008</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
<u><i>Sega Superstar Tennis</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]
<u><i>Worms: A Space Oddity</u></i> [<i>PAL</i>]

The ISOs I'm currently downloading:
<u><i>Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility</u></i> [<i>NTSC-U</i>]

borka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well.

1) RE4. Backup creator did create some strange iso, but then I just opened it wit Nero to burn image (latest major version - don't remember... 6? 7?). Nero said that the sector size is nonstandard and it should be fixed, then I just choose "shut up and burn" (wel... "Ignore" :-D). All is Ok. That is - you do not need alcohol if you burn it with Nero (Verbatim, DVD-R, 4x, some slim notebook LG drive)

2) RE:UC, RE4 (that is, Capcom games). Here is one interesting question

PAL image, PAL wii, PAL TV. It appears that both REs force 480i mode. I have wii connected to the old TV that is uncapable of using 480i mode, only 576i. And other games work fine: boom blox, family ski. But both REs just shows as out-of-sync (image jumps up and down, the same way as when I set 480i mode in wii settings).

I had patched RE:UC with "bruteforce 576i" and it appeared Ok, but the image is vertically squeezed
frown.gif
(Unbruteforced image plays Ok on other TV (PAL), so the image by itself is Ok, it just the mode selection).

And another question - will the "original" game force the 480i mode? That is, I will buy one (they worth their money), but if it will not play on my TV....?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1