• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Vote yes on Prop 19

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm no druggie (I don't even drink), but I am a facts person.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20038
QUOTE said:
A new study by London's Imperial College's chair of neuropsychopharmacology, David Nutt, claims that the three most dangerous drugs in the world are alcohol, heroin, and cocaine -- in that order.

[...]

After alcohol, heroin, and crack cocaine, the next worse drugs were crystal methamphetamine and powder cocaine. Then comes tobacco -- another legal drug. In seventh place is amphetamine/speed. Marijuana -- which is the subject of legalization controversy in the U.S. -- is deemed the eighth most harmful.
I took a Drugs and Narcotics class (given as part of the justice program at my college) last year, and I learned that a lot of what people think they know about drugs is totally false.

Anybody here with prejudice about one drug over another (tobacco and alcohol included), I suggest you go read some recent studies and facts before you post.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Rydian said:

QUOTE said:
A new study by London's Imperial College's chair of neuropsychopharmacology, David Nutt, claims that the three most dangerous drugs in the world are alcohol, heroin, and cocaine -- in that order.

[...]

After alcohol, heroin, and crack cocaine, the next worse drugs were crystal methamphetamine and powder cocaine. Then comes tobacco -- another legal drug. In seventh place is amphetamine/speed. Marijuana -- which is the subject of legalization controversy in the U.S. -- is deemed the eighth most harmful.
I took a Drugs and Narcotics class (given as part of the justice program at my college) last year, and I learned that a lot of what people think they know about drugs is totally false.

Anybody here with prejudice about one drug over another (tobacco and alcohol included), I suggest you go read some recent studies and facts before you post.
The fact is that all drugs, legal or not, do more harm than good in the long run.
Which is why I'm an anti-drugs person!
This includes drugs used for medical purposes.

rikuumi

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If alcohol or tobacco were invented today they would never ever become legal..

Posts merged

Goli said:
Rydian said:

[url=http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20038]http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20038[/url]
QUOTE said:

[...]

The fact is that all drugs, legal or not, do more harm than good in the long run.

So you don't even drink sodas or coffee that includes caffeine? Because you know, caffeine is a drug too.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:

QUOTE said:

[...]

I was gonna say something similar...

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
rikuumi said:
If alcohol or tobacco were invented today they would never ever become legal..

Posts merged

Goli said:
Rydian said:

[url=http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20038]http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20038[/url]
QUOTE said:

[...]

So you don't even drink sodas or coffee that includes caffeine? Because you know, caffeine is a drug too.
Nope, I mostly drink *insertsomefruithere* natural juice and tea, though tea does have caffeine, but in much smaller doses.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
This includes drugs used for medical purposes.Ah, that's not my stance, though.

rikuumi said:
If alcohol or tobacco were invented today they would never ever become legal..Gotta' agree with this.

QUOTE(rikuumi @ Nov 2 2010, 10:20 AM)
It's not a mind-altering drug (like pot/alcohol), and doesn't have lasting detrimental effects (like tobacco smoke does).

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would if I lived there, and I'm 43 years old. It's not about whether marijuana is 'stupid' as Slyakin suggests ... perhaps it is. But even if it is, the government shouldn't be protecting me from my own stupidity, unless it poses a substantial risk of harm to others. Like cigarettes, hang gliding, and loud headphones, smoking marijuana may annoy those around you but the case for causing actual harm to others is too slim to justify its prohibition. This doesn't mean you can be obnoxiously annoying with something just because it's legal, so I'm okay with no smoking signs in restaurants, and shushing people in libraries whose headphones can be heard. But with marijuana the consequences of keeping it illegal far outweigh the consequences of returning it to legality (it hasn't ALWAYS been illegal, ya know). With marijuana illegal, you've got law enforcement semi-miliatarized by the 'war on drugs', you've got dudes who just want to catch a buzz and watch sportscenter sitting in a jail cell no different than if they were violent thugs, and you've got a gigantic criminal underground profiting from it all and not even paying taxes on it. Probably worst of all, there is nothing in that underground economy preventing the sale of the stuff to minors.

It's a free country. If you live in California, act like it and vote yes.

(okay, i'm done.)

rikuumi

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The government doesn't want to legalize pot because then you'll have all the crackheads and meth users saying "They legalized pot, why not (insert body-wrecking substance here)!?!"
Meth can't be even compared to pot..

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's kind of amusing how most people here are pirates, yet they'll immediately assume marijuana use is unforgivable just because it's against the law at the moment.

If I'm free to booze myself incomprehensible and in the process become a very real risk to others around me, why shouldn't I be free to light something up that can only hurt myself?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
rikuumi said:
Rydian said:
The government doesn't want to legalize pot because then you'll have all the crackheads and meth users saying "They legalized pot, why not (insert body-wrecking substance here)!?!"
Meth can't be even compared to pot..
People with an addiction to something like meth generally won't think perfectly straight if there's a chance on increasing their supply of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr