Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Q2XvS3g.png

After stepping down from Opera three years ago, former CEO, Jon von Tetzchner, has jumped back into the fray with a new browser, called Vivaldi. Developed as a spiritual successor to his former flagship, Jon was motivated to kickstart the development of Vivaldi after Opera dropped Presto and the bulk of its pioneering feature-set.

Bringing a sharp new flat UI to the table - alongside features many of us have come to rely on extensions for - Vivaldi is unique in that its interface has been exclusively built using HTML5, with modern JavaScript libraries such as React and Browserify, and uses Google's Chromium as a base.
Jon von Tetzchner said:
“We are making a browser for our friends … Vivaldi is for all those people who want more from their browsers.”

I've been rocking Vivaldi for two days solid now, and aside from a few behavioural quirks (it's only a preview!) I'm loving it. Its infrastructure reminds me of Github's Atom text editor, but it is both significantly faster and significantly more stable.

:arrow: Source (via TechCrunch)

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
saw this and thought "meh..."

Opera has made the modern web browser what it is today(tabs, Speed Dial, Pop-up Blocker, Browser Sessions & Delete private Data)... but even than its still like 2% of most web browser used around the world.

it needs features that are browsers that doesnt have or it will just be another chromium reskin.

but im not righting it off yet tho!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It looks neat, and I'd probably try it if I didn't like my current extensions so much. Replacements can be found in basically all modern browsers (the main addons are Adblock, Alientube (reddit comments on youtube) and an RSS thing with notifications), but once I can have that functionality, I'd probably try it.
I used to use Firefox and switched to Chrome because Youtube was being a piece of shit, and it turns out it's still being a piece of shit in Chrome (just in different ways), so I have no particular attachment to it. I'm not sure I care for having a million built in features and things though.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saw this and thought "meh..."

Opera has made the modern web browser what it is today(tabs, Speed Dial, Pop-up Blocker, Browser Sessions & Delete private Data)... but even than its still like 2% of most web browser used around the world.

it needs features that are browsers that doesnt have or it will just be another chromium reskin.

but im not righting it off yet tho!

I think you meant to type Firefox

Reactions: Margen67

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrome release date: Initial release 2008

Firefox release date: Sep 23, 2002 - Tabs, private data delete, pop-up block, plugins (adblock), private sessions, etc.

While I don't know the validity of his claims, he said Opera not chrome.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Opera did indeed "inspire" many of these features, Mozilla then implemented a few. Interestingly enough wasn't tabbing in Firefox something that came about as an extension, alongside speeddial...

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opera did indeed "inspire" many of these features, Mozilla then implemented a few. Interestingly enough wasn't tabbing in Firefox something that came about as an extension, alongside speeddial...

No, I remember the Firefox beta having tabbed browsing. It floored me because I used to have like 12 IE windows open and it would fill up my start bar :P

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Either way this thread is about another offshoot of Chromium, called Vivaldi, which happens to sport many features that diehard power-users might find useful, and not a place to quibble over exactly who came up with <X> idea first.

People have been complaining about the RAM usage of Vivaldi, and frankly I'm a little worried myself. Hopefully the release version will be better, as it looks like the tech preview was rushed out.

EDIT: I was thinking of session restoration, tabbing came in from Netscape I think? Regardless, it's kinda irrelevant. :x

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way this thread is about another offshoot of Chromium, called Vivaldi, which happens to sport many features that diehard power-users might find useful, and not a place to quibble over exactly who came up with <X> idea first.

People have been complaining about the RAM usage of Vivaldi, and frankly I'm a little worried myself. Hopefully the release version will be better, as it looks like the tech preview was rushed out.

EDIT: I was thinking of session restoration, tabbing came in from Netscape I think? Regardless, it's kinda irrelevant. :x

My Firefox is using almost 800MB right now, not including the plugin containers, with 2 GBATemps, my gmail, and goodreads open, how's that for fucked up? What the hell is it using all that RAM for? There isn't even that many assets loaded on the entire page to fill up that much. I don't even want to start talking about IE's RAM usage u_u

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
That's why I call it Internet Exploder.

to say truth I noticed less ram usage on IE11 than Chrome, I'm only comparing the tabs processes not the plugins.
using Win 10 build 9879 BTW.

I'll give Vivaldi a try, if they get youtube and adblock plus plugins I'll change, hangouts plugin would be nice too. the only thing that is always stopping me is the tabs sync with my phone. only Chrome is lightweight enough(emphasis in enough) on PC and Android and support tabs sync.

Reactions: Margen67

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My Firefox is using almost 800MB right now, not including the plugin containers, with 2 GBATemps, my gmail, and goodreads open, how's that for fucked up? What the hell is it using all that RAM for? There isn't even that many assets loaded on the entire page to fill up that much. I don't even want to start talking about IE's RAM usage u_u

ALL modern browsers use a gazillion ram. Chrome just sort of hides it by splitting itself into a million processes that use like 100MB each.
b68420d1fb.png

4 tabs. Admittedly, one of them is Youtube, but still.

YetoJesse

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd love to see a slick browser like chrome with near zero Ram usage...
Everyone uses the same slogan for their shit nowadays anyways... "For those who want more out of their browser"
I'd love a little less to be honest.
the basic URL bar (with google search function), back and forth and refresh (F5, was it?) and no adds.
I know the deal with adds, don't bother the shitstorm on why adds are "Needed" or something like that.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"