Hacking VitaShell Woes

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 3.65 and trying to update Vitashell to 2.0. My OLED Vita is setup to boot my SD2Vita card. There is no Vitashell bubble after boot, only Molecular Shell.

I've done the following to regain access. I installed VitaShell 1.82 to the near system app using HBInjector. The problem is that this does not update past 1.82 as VitaShell 1.83 introduced a new automatic update procedure.

I then googled my issue and found SOS posted here on the forums, which is supposed to restore VitaShell. After running this, it reports that VitaShell is already installed.

I assume it may be on my Vita memory card. However, if I remove my SD2Vita and try to reboot, my system asks me to format my Vita memory card, which I do not want to do. Skipping the format option only brings up an empty menu with just the system apps. Reinserting my SD2Vita card rebuilds the database and requires me to rearrange all my bubbles.

I also tried to install an updated .vpk with Molecular Shell but this goes to 99% and then returns an error.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to manually update the VitaShell installation injected into the near app to 1.83 or higher? If so, how?

2. If no, how can I verify that VitaShell is on my Vita memory card and move it to my SD2Vita?

3. Can #2 be done without resetting my bubble layout?
I have a working (but not updated) installation of VitaShell (via the near app) and Molecular Shell to work with if .vpks need to be transferred and installed or folders need to be manually moved. I am also comfortable unzipping and repacking a .vpk if needed.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icon arrangement is done by the app.db. for some reason, it sometimes rearranges the icons if it's a full rebuild. I don't think there's any way to tell it to do this. if you want to make sure it's always correct, make a backup of that file in ur0:shell/db/app.db

ZeroSene

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Only one question, why vitashell 2.0?
It was made to be compatible with 3.72 (for downgrade need), without any big improve for 3.65, and vitashell was working fine for you on 3.65, why try to update it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the update should've gone through. iirc, what may be the problem is the vita shell patch. there should be a vita shell patch folder in the patch directory on the root of ux0. I think that might be preventing it from updating. the patch is linked to the wrong place, so it may be causing a problem with updating even manually. delete the patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1